Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
leave it in all weather mode during hard traffic
Not a good idea. Although it does make it smoother in the stop and go traffic, it does this by introducing unnatural amounts of slip in the clutch and overheats it causing it to wear out prematurely.
Thanks for the suggestion. Its not a problem with traffic, though, its the light throttle in slow driving situations that is the issue for me. The all weather mode is better, as it makes the throttle response to inputs less sensitive.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Its not a problem with traffic, though, its the light throttle in slow driving situations that is the issue for me. The all weather mode is better, as it makes the throttle response to inputs less sensitive.
Indeed. And the way the computer is making it smoother is by slipping the clutch, as you would in a manual car yourself by modulating and hovering the clutch pedal around the biting point, which clutches typically don't like.

Using all weather mode to smooth out the ride in slow driving situations is not a good habit as it will overheat the clutch and wear it out prematurely.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,041 Posts
The main cause is that as you change driving modes the "ramp" changes. In the old days of hard wired throttles it was linear....today you aren't directly opening the throttle but telling a computer to interpret throttle position to fuel/air increase. In All Weather it has a long ramp plus more clutch slipping. In N mode it is a bit more aggressive but when you go to D mode or R mode the ramp becomes very steep with little smoothness in the first bit of throttle movement....more of a on/off switch. I found this is most noticeable when driving in D or R mode on bumpy roads or those with expansion strips. As you go over the bumps your foot kind of bounces up and down and that does make it more jerky on slow speeds. This applies to stock or to remapped ECUs. I use soft soled shoes that let me have more sensitivity to the throttle. Also...some shoes with lugged soles may tend to catch the pedal at different spots and emphasize the issue. And of course clunky work boots would be a PITA.
I haven't really had any issues with it....I noticed the difference in different modes and it is definitely more obvious than my other cars. When I do drive in slow stop and go traffic I just run in N mode and it is smoothed out. But pulling up to a stop with a DCT will never be as smooth as a traditional automatic transmission with a torque converter. f
Just drive the car more and you get used to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think there is such a big problem with using all weather mode in traffic. I do not do it but I don't think it is a problem. Clearly Alfa has intended for people to use natural mode in traffic, and all weather does not slip the clutch much more than natural does in my opinion. Just learn what the car is doing with any given input, don't give the car a reason to slip the clutch for longer than it has to. Besides, what would you rather have, more clutch wear or repeated driveline shock?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't think there is such a big problem with using all weather mode in traffic. I do not do it but I don't think it is a problem. Clearly Alfa has intended for people to use natural mode in traffic, and all weather does not slip the clutch much more than natural does in my opinion. Just learn what the car is doing with any given input, don't give the car a reason to slip the clutch for longer than it has to. Besides, what would you rather have, more clutch wear or repeated driveline shock?
I seem to remember a whole thread about this. Que @Philster . I seem to recall that clutch slippage does occur more in the A and N modes as compared to the D and R. I could be wrong.

I believe Alfa made the 4C as a track ready race car 1st ......then had to add the A and N modes as a secondary thought to accomodate those not driving the 4C as it was intended for. IMHO.

Personally. I never use the A and N modes. Dynamic all the way. But then again. My car is only for spirited weekend drives. Not a daily. Once I get some better tires. I'll throw her in RACE mode. :D

Reactions: Philster

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
All weather definitely alters throttle mapping.
Whether or not it it slips the clutch in all gears, we may never know for certain.
It definitely slips the clutch more in first gear, though, as it does in all maps (DNA selections) but you will spend more time at lower revs in first (where the clutch has to slip to avoid stalling) than you do in N or D modes.

I’m going to argue that the same is probably true in 2nd gear in A, but that is not backed up by technical knowledge.

All weather is meant to save your car and perhaps your life if you run into inclement conditions. Car > Clutch. That is the math that I believe Alfa Romeo used in the development process for this drive mode.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Smooth shifts and operation come from clutch slippage.

I drove D in traffic and move deliberately or stop deliberately.

Driveline shock is a non issue at low speed. Clutch wear is. Clutch wear is a non issue at speed. Driveline shock is.

All has been said by others quite well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Driveline shock is a non issue at low speed. Clutch wear is. Clutch wear is a non issue at speed. Driveline shock is.
All has been said by others quite well.
Actually, driveline shock disproportionately is an issue when starting. For this reason used cars which are known to have driven mostly highway miles are preferable to those used in a city center. Though minor, locking up components exposes them to an impact force. It's about the "jerk" felt by the driveline components.
It is possible to get a completely smooth start in dynamic, but it is a lot less of a sure thing than in natural mode. To be honest, I wish there was a way to open the akra exhaust valve while using the smoother clutch programming. I personally never use dynamic mode, I am always either in natural or race.
I believe Alfa made the 4C as a track ready race car 1st ......then had to add the A and N modes as a secondary thought to accomodate those not driving the 4C as it was intended for. IMHO.
A street car still needs to be able to do street car things on the way to the canyons / track. If you were driving a manual car, you would slip the clutch more in traffic. No reason this car shouldn't be able to do it.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Slip away.

All this nonsense to help people drive. Good traffic habits are all you need.

Driveline shock is a strawman argument as this dead-clutch- slipping horse was beaten to death by people who want comfy traffic behavior because they have rotten habits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I fail to see how it is a strawman, or even an "argument". No one should be crawling this car at 10 mph for extended periods. But everyone has to stop and start. If you want to use dynamic in traffic and hypothetically get a few hundred miles more out of your clutch, be my guest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Contact Jamie at Alfa Workshops where you bought the ECU modification. They have a mod for the throttle that should be installed along with any "stage" modification. Easy.

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Contact Jamie at Alfa Workshops where you bought the ECU modification. They have a mod for the throttle that should be installed along with any "stage" modification. Easy.
Thanks Cas, that's interesting to know. I will give them a call and they are only 20 miles from me so I can easily call in with the car if needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Cas, that's interesting to know. I will give them a call and they are only 20 miles from me so I can easily call in with the car if needed.
They will sort it out quickly for you. I have a cottage about 10 miles away in Croxton near St. Neots, but I am usually here in New Hampshire, where are you?.

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
They will sort it out quickly for you. I have a cottage about 10 miles away in Croxton near St. Neots, but I am usually here in New Hampshire, where are you?.
Between Hertford and Harlow. Let me know when you're over - I assume you have a 4C here and one in the US so you're never short of a ride? ;)

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I fail to see how it is a strawman, or even an "argument". No one should be crawling this car at 10 mph for extended periods. But everyone has to stop and start. If you want to use dynamic in traffic and hypothetically get a few hundred miles more out of your clutch, be my guest.
City driving is worse than highway driving because reasons. For one, heat. For two, heat cycles. For three, operational efficiency lost, from heat. City driving is worse because of heat and more parts are being used, more friction. Creeping along in traffic is the issue. You can creep along and use good habits to minimize the driveline shock AS A CONSEQUNCE of being smart with the primary thing under your control. You will avoid clutch slip, brake usage, high temperatures, total numbers of shifts, etc if you simply have good habits. All is better. Tossing it into A is a cover for bad behavior.

Yeah, stay out of traffic. Stay out of city driving. O-tay! COMICAL

There is traffic 100 kilometers from cities! Again, the universal approach applies: just drive with good habits.

Disclaimer: You are free to add wear and tear as you see fit. Everyone is. Do whatever pleases you. Crawl along on highways, use A to smooth things out, calculate all the wear and tear you want and how you want. I'll put my one-million miles / 1.6 million kms of high-performance car driving to use as I see fit, and you take your experiences and apply them as you see fit. Using a car adds wear. Choose what you want to wear and how. I wear out tires, brakes and I take car of my engine and trans by avoiding heat cycles. I leave gaps and control my adrenaline in traffic. I depend on me to manage things, from the wiper to the shifts, and ask less of the car to think for me. Again, enjoy what you have and what the hell, use A plus Auto and live it up! #peace

·
Registered
29 Posts
Between Hertford and Harlow. Let me know when you're over - I assume you have a 4C here and one in the US so you're never short of a ride? ;)
My 4C is here in New Hampshire, no traffic and beautiful winding roads! In the UK, I use the antipodes of a 4C, a Land Rover Defender 110 Double Cab (diesel). I can see over hedge rows and amble along at my own pace enjoying the amazing country scenery, cars behind think I'm a local farmer and stay clear!

·
Registered
4c Spider, 2016, red
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My 4C is here in New Hampshire, no traffic and beautiful winding roads! In the UK, I use the antipodes of a 4C, a Land Rover Defender 110 Double Cab (diesel). I can see over hedge rows and amble along at my own pace enjoying the amazing country scenery, cars behind think I'm a local farmer and stay clear!
Now I'm jealous! That sounds perfect. My biggest issue with my 4C is that there is a lack of good local driving roads.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts