Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Just checked on these.... $48+ for shipping! Ye-ow
Just ordered a Joying and found the same thing too when looking for screen protectors! I'll be over in the UK in about a month or so (shipping is free to the UK) so if any forum members want a screen protector picking up I'll be happy to bring a couple back stateside with me :)

· Registered
343 Posts
So, I found out what I had wrong trying to get a wireless volume controller to work. In the bundle of wires that include the WiFi antenna, there are some double wire connectors. A couple are CAN input and CAN output, and one is labeled as KEY. If you are using a wireless controller, you connect the KEY connector into the CAN output connector.
And PRESTO! It now works.
The connectors are in that bundle on the right:
View attachment 115825
Good little video on this:

· Registered
343 Posts
To anyone else experiencing this problem, look harder. The Alpine deck in the 2018 4C appears to have just an Alpine jumper, but it actually connects via an ISO harness. If you can't find it, dig deeper...it's there. Also, the remote wire pin in the 4C is in a non-standard position, so you'll find that you have no audio when you turn your Joying deck on for the first time. You'll need to connect the "AMP CONT" cable to the outlying amp cable in the ISO harness.
As others have pointed out, there's a couple of differences when replacing an alpine stereo vs a parrot. It seems like with either stock stereo, Alfa wired the car radio output with a standard ISO connector (nice and easy!) then added a "jumper" i.e. an ISO harness specific to Parrot or Alpine, depending on which option your car has. So to anyone removing their stock stereo and struggling with the connector - you must remove this "jumper".

quick pic below to help anyone stuck

You will also have to turn this on in the settings or it will not work. You can also use the antenna CONT (blue wire) this works and you do not have to go into the settings.

I just learned this the hard way after removing the unit about five times

I'll do a detailed post on my install trying to cover some of the gaps that haven't been mentioned yet. Looking for help on a couple things if anyone can advise:

1 - As mentioned in the quotes above, for the alpine stereo there's a (blue/white) remote wire which is in a non-standard position. Unfortunately there's no further information so I had to use some critical thinking 😂 appreciate the heads up though.

On the left is the Alpine "jumper" cable ISO connector. On the right is the standard ISO connector from Joying. The missing pin is the remote wire. On the Joying harness, the remote wire (AMP-CONT Orange/Black) is in the wiring bundle, but not installed into the ISO connector, hence the missing pin:

so question for wiring whiz's - is there a neat OEM way to get a pin connector for the AMP CONT wire and insert it into the ISO plug? Or should I just tap directly into the stock amp cable? Can you guys post up what you did?

2 - Some ppl have found that the newer Joying 8.8" units have a different screen mounting - it looks like this on mine:

I tried to move the pins up by one level to get a better view of the 4C toggle switches. Unfortunately the screen connector prevents the screen from being attached to the unit in this position. Anyone resolve this? It looks like with the new design, its the actual joying unit that needs to be trimmed to allow clearance for this. Might save this for a future project unless anyone can confirm?

· Registered
343 Posts
To my first point above, i'd like to get a connector like on the blue/white wire below and slot it into the joying ISO for a nice clean install

Hopefully someone has a nice solution before I spend hours down the youtube/amazon rabbit hole..

· Registered
343 Posts
Guys - I sorted this.

1 - Remote control - per my post above, the orange amp control cable coming out of the joying harness needs to be connected to the factory 4C wiring harness if you have the alpine upgraded sound system. Without this you will get no sound. I was just looking for the cleanest possible solution. With my car in pieces I didn't want to wait around to order the right ISO connector pin etc etc etc so I used a wire tap which did the trick

2 - The latest Joying 8.8 units are slightly different to earlier in the thread. Others have mentioned the inability to raise the screen a notch as the screen cable prevents the screen from seating into the head unit. Turned out there's a plastic shroud on the head unit which pops off. I will trim + paint this and reinstall it when I button everything back up (early on in this thread people were having to make their own shrouds).

Will post a write-up with pics soon.

· Registered
343 Posts
Hi mate - quick response as I'm literally finishing up my install right now.

1 - the plastic shroud just slides off - though this may be dependent on the version of the unit you have:

I purchased mine a month ago so should be the latest 8.8". You can see the 2 black lines I've marked on the shroud where you need to trim

just did a test fit and its perfect now. I can raise it up another notch if I want

Next project will be to paint the shroud and clean up the cutout, and paint the backside of the screen black as others have done, and bend the tabs on the joying to push it even further in, though it's pretty flush as it sits.

2) had the same thought as you about the bundles of wires. Fortunately the 4C has lots of space so I tidied up all the cabling and tucked it in neatly without hacking the unit, in case I ever want to sell it in the future. For a surefire answer - reach out direct to Joying support, they're good at replying and will be best to answer you question

· Registered
343 Posts
Looks great mate. Assuming yours didn't come with the removable shroud from Joying?
Also looks like you painted the back of your screen - any worries/issues with paint dripping into the mounting holes?

· Registered
343 Posts
Right, 4C Joying experts - I posted about this previously and it's been mentioned in other posts but looking for a clear answer (and will hopefully help future Joying installers).

The Joying unit is plug and play in the 4C, except for those who have the Alpine system with OEM amplifier. My understanding is, to get the Alpine amp to get the "turn-on" signal:

1 - the "AMP-CONT" cable needs to be connected to the 4C stock wiring harness
2 - within the Joying Unit, in settings, the "Amp-on" setting (I believe) needs to be switched on

Without the above, you will get no sound at all out of the system.

So, can anyone please confirm the best & cleanest way to wire this up correctly?

I'll be buttoning everything up with my Joying install tomorrow, including painting the back of the screen and shroud, and want finish the wiring properly and securely.

Much appreciated!

· Registered
343 Posts
You guys ... keep making me have to use my own critical thinking 😂

I've figured out a solution that works for me and I have a nice solid connection (this is important aside from the obvious reasons, as our cars have a nice stiff ride, perfect for loosening electrical connections)

I'll post up a small write-up once my photos upload!

· Registered
343 Posts
Keeping it real simple, below is the Joying harness, with the Amp-Cont cable out to the side. I actually extended this cable a little to give me more slack as the wiring is tight.

In a perfect world (i.e. if the Joying harness was a perfect match for the OEM 4C harness), the Amp-Cont wire would be wired into this harness second row from bottom, in the right-most slot. See pic for orientation:

Unfortunately the wire is open and does not have the right spade-type connector to neatly slot into the harness here. I tried googling around to see if I could buy a connector pin type thing but had no joy (I was trying to explain this in a previous post).

On the 4C factory loom (which the joying harness plugs into), the light blue/grey cable is the Amp cable which needs an ACC 12V signal from the Joying, to enable the amp to be switched on (so you get .. sound).

This wire is where the Joying Amp-Cont would connect to if it was installed in the Joying harness. As I couldn't get that to work, I used a tap

It's a tight fit, I would recommend using a small a tap as possible. You can see I've essentially bypassed the harness and tapped directly into the Amp-cont wire. It does mean there are extra steps to removing the Joying, but it keeps the car factory and OEM. Re-installing the Alpine would be a 20min job.

I then went around the tap and Amp-Cont cable with some OEM style cloth cable wrap to keep everything tidy and secure. Slotted everything neatly back into place, and went for a drive to confirm nothing was shaking loose.

Make sure to select the Amp-Cont option in the Joying settings. I'll spend an evening this week configuring the joying launcher to clean everything up so will try and take a photo of this too.

Hope this helps someone as I haven't seen this covered before in detail.

· Registered
343 Posts
Has anyone figured out what to buy and what tools are needed to get this part done? I bought the head unit, but I want to get that pin installed so I won't need to tap any wires
My advice would be to head to a local audio installer - they would likely have the pin you need to connect the amp wire into the harness. If you want to do the install yourself - maybe you can make a start and then head to the audio installer and show them exactly what's needed so they can find a pin of the correct size - this is the key bit.

· Registered
343 Posts
Hello, thanks for this post. I went all the way with the installation adding a pin to the harness etc etc and still no sound………until I saw your post and ….the “Make sure..” hint on the settings. That saved the day.
Glad I could help - took a minute to figure that one out!

My unit will randomly disconnect Carplay and then not reconnect. It gets stuck at the Connecting.... screen and only by turning off the car and then back on does it reconnect. I am thinking maybe a head unit firmware upgrade? Has anyone updated the firmware (or the software) on the unit? I am brand new to Android based head units and have no idea how to proceed. I haven't even been able to find a well written manual for the unit that explains everything. Any help is appreciated!
My unit does the same thing with CarPlay
Getting a similar issue with Android auto. I use it wired with the Head Unit Reloaded app. It will randomly crash and kick me it out of AA. The worst part is it loses my Waze destination and I have to re-connect the cable and type the address in again. F'in nightmare. I'll look into a firmware update because it's unusable at the moment.

· Registered
343 Posts
sorry @jagman only just saw this. in case you haven't sorted it, this is the important bit:

On the 4C factory loom (which the joying harness plugs into), the light blue/grey cable is the Amp cable which needs an ACC 12V signal from the Joying, to enable the amp to be switched on (so you get .. sound).

View attachment 118845

This wire is where the Joying Amp-Cont would connect to if it was installed in the Joying harness. As I couldn't get that to work, I used a tap

View attachment 118846
It's hard to explain the color but if you can't match it to the picture above - go with the location. In the first pic light blue/grey (green!!?) cable on the harness. The second picture shows it being tapped. If you orient your 4C harness in the same way as the picture above, the cable you want to tap is on the bottom row, one slot from the right.

Hope that helps mate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts