Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've also joined the Joying club. Waiting for the volume control knob. They had issues with supply after the issues in China but it came back into stock this week.

Initially I found it totally unusable with the glare and fingerprints. However after fitting the Alpine back, I knew I had to get it to work since it felt stone-age by comparison. In my case, everything was plug & play but I had very little room to pull the harness through (vs. the videos and pics I've seen) - I ended up feeding it through and clipping it from behind the dash. I got a Clear Coat (brand) oleophobic anti glare film put onto the glass and it is now perfect (as readable and usable in direct sun as any of the units in my other cars).

Joying didn't send me the screen without the logo (as I requested) because there was a lag between my order and it being fulfilled (with the virus issue...) which I can forgive. I popped a strip of carbon fibre vinyl over the bottom which I can live with. I am waiting for my 'metal' Alfa Romeo stickers to arrive. I used the same vinyl on the back of the screen and the little white 'cover' for the clips and ribbon cable.
In

Sound is as good as the Alpine was after playing with the EQ a bit. Thanks to this thread I installed Agama Car Launcher as well as the wallpaper (though I think I will change this eventually). Android Auto doesn't use the full screen, but I can live with it as well. I have the 4G version so I can use native Google Maps which works full screen if needed.

Next phase is fitting the reverse camera which I will tackle when the volume control is here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Gents,

I recently installed the Joying 8.8 like you. But i have problem with FM. If i'm not moving everything works fine both audio and search function. Bus as soon i start driving i cant listen it anymore and is not finding any channel anymore. Like driving in a bunker. Any idea?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Please post a pick of Android Auto in use on the 8.8" screen. I understand that the application does not accommodate the widescreen format of the 8.8" screen so unfortunately there are black bars. I have yet to see what that actually looks like.

Also, if one plugs their phone into the USB port, does Android Auto / Apple Car Play automatically engage, or can one choose to not use those apps yet still have the head unit tethered to the phone? I ask because I'd like the head unit to use the phones data and have have calling functionality as if a Bluetooth connection is used (but isn't actually used). The reason is I want to have the head unit connected to two other Bluetooth devices and the other devices do not have a USB option. I don't think the Joying 8.8" unit can connect with 3 devices via Bluetooth simultaneously.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I see you have no replies yet but here are two pics I pulled off a video of my unit that I had made for another owner (this was before I did the anti-glare film on it) they are really bad but should give you an idea of screen area. When I am in the car I will take a few pics of it in action. Its usable.

If your phone is connected via USB it doesnt force you to use Android auto. It will only automatically connect if you have zlink open already.

I dont know the answer to your other questions on number of devices simultaneously connected.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have some answers.

Android 8 is capable of BT 5.0 and having 2 devices connected simultaneously. Android 9 is capable of BT 5.0 and having 5 devices connected via BT simultaneously. Android 10 is capable of BT 5.0 and having 10 devices connected via BT simultaneously. The Joying 8.8" head unit will be updated to 9.0, but the timeline is unknown.

Connecting the phone via USB allows Android Auto to work, and the Joying head unit can be tethered to your phone they way (allowing it to use the phone's data plan without taking a hit on the battery life of the phone), but talk/text can only go to the head unit via BT (so evidently plugging phone into the USB port isn't enough to make/take phone calls via the head unit). Lastly, Android Auto is not designed to adapt to different aspect ratios so that is why Android Auto on the 8.8" head unit doesn't make use of the entire screen. If Google updates Android Auto to allow for different aspect ratios the black bars will go away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are a couple quick pics. I can take better ones if anyone would like to see something specific. The first pics are of the back of the screen with the new cover that now comes with them. Then a pic of it after I put about 12 coats of the satin black Duplicolor Plastidip compettitor on the silver back of the screen and the wiring cover. Finally a couple showing it from the passenger's seat, outside of the car through the windshield, and from the driver's seat.
Hi, where did you find that part in red? Does it come with the unit?

1_DIN_CORNER.PNG

According to the photos on the seller's website, they still seem to be using the "old" cover...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hi, where did you find that part in red? Does it come with the unit?

View attachment 107504

According to the photos on the seller's website, they still seem to be using the "old" cover...

Thanks!
That came with the unit. It appears that they have changed the design of that trim piece and the new one isn’t as good for our use.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #248 (Edited)
Updated: I got the latest version of the Joying head unit a while back for Wireless CarPlay and also (wired) Android Auto. It was a quick head-unit swap too, apart from having to re-download apps and fixing settings again.

Regarding the widescreen Android Auto update: I contacted Google and Joying and both say it's beyond their control :rolleyes: but since there are a lot of annoyed Mercedes, Hyundai and other owners on the forums I've read, I think its Google's fault. If Google fixed this, I'd switch to my S10e full time and dump my iPhone 11 Pro.

What it looks like:

What things should look like, if your unit supports the Widescreen Android Auto update:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Updated: I got the latest version of the Joying head unit a while back for Wireless CarPlay and also (wired) Android Auto. It was a quick head-unit swap too, apart from having to re-download apps and fixing settings again.

Regarding the widescreen Android Auto update: I contacted Google and Joying and both say it's beyond their control :rolleyes: but since there are a lot of annoyed Mercedes, Hyundai and other owners on the forums I've read, I think its Google's fault. If Google fixed this, I'd switch to my S10e full time and dump my iPhone 11 Pro.

What it looks like:
View attachment 107750 View attachment 107751
View attachment 107753

What things should look like, if your unit supports the Widescreen Android Auto update:
View attachment 107754 View attachment 107755

Remove Zlink and use this instead: Headunit Reloaded Emulator for Android Auto - Apps on Google Play

You can download the trial version: Headunit Reloaded Trial for Android Auto - Apps on Google Play

Works way better than zlink and you will have the full screen. You can change the resolution and the DPI. Works AMAZING. Seriously. Totally change the game now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now I'm trying to fix the mic.

Does anyone know if the stock mic is 2.5 TRS or 3.5 TRS?
Thank you for telling us about the head unit application. Can you please clarify… Does this application not work well with the stock microphone? Or are you just having issues with the microphone in general?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thank you for telling us about the head unit application. Can you please clarify… Does this application not work well with the stock microphone? Or are you just having issues with the microphone in general?

The 4C comes with a microphone and it does not work with the Joying. The Joying microphone is the only one that works.

241 - 260 of 283 Posts