Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 4C comes with a microphone and it does not work with the Joying. The Joying microphone is the only one that works.
I see, thank you.

I had installed the joying microphone, just wanted to be sure of your findings

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does the Joying improve the sound? I understand that our stock speakers are limited, but the bass is absolutely horrible and any improvement would be nice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Thanks to @Samy for the heads up! (y)(y) After some fiddling just now I got it all working and Head Unit Reloaded starts up instantly, much more quickly than the Zlink app, and in full widescreen. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

@TwistedDrum5 The new Joying units have added a 32-band EQ so I think you'd be able to make the most out of the stock speakers. The Alpine had a 3 band parametric EQ which was just enough to allow me to tweak the sound the way I wanted, but I bought my car with like 2k miles and it had an aftermarket system already installed so I've never heard the stock ones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks to @Samy for the heads up! (y)(y) After some fiddling just now I got it all working and Head Unit Reloaded starts up instantly, much more quickly than the Zlink app, and in full widescreen. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

@TwistedDrum5 The new Joying units have added a 32-band EQ so I think you'd be able to make the most out of the stock speakers. The Alpine had a 3 band parametric EQ which was just enough to allow me to tweak the sound the way I wanted, but I bought my car with like 2k miles and it had an aftermarket system already installed so I've never heard the stock ones.
Any chance for a tutorial? I played with it for a few hours the other night and I got nowhere

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Any chance for a tutorial? I played with it for a few hours the other night and I got nowhere
The main problems I had were getting stuck in the Head Unit Reloaded app and the buttons doing nothing, then pressing the power button in the app which blacked out the screen forever. There was no uninstall option so I deleted it which triggered an automatic refund in the Google Play store so I ran another test on the Trial version which worked so I purchased it again.

I remember getting it all working on the screen, but sound only came out of the phone, then after unplugging and replugging, it wouldn't work at all. What did it for me was clicking on the "Do Not Ask Again" kind of message and when I pressed the big "USB" button once I got it connected. Doing that finally routed sound through the audio system. Not sure if this helps, but I say mess with the trial version. If you can get that far, then Samy's tips work in the paid version, setting the resolution to 1080 and 250 dpi.

Note: I haven't deleted the Zlink app since I still need it for my iPhone as I switch back and forth a lot and it uses wireless so their settings don't interfere with each other. I may email Joying again to let them know that it's possible to get full-screen Android Auto working and that they should issue an update.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does anyone know how to turn down the brightness on the Joying screen? I've been through a lot of the menus and am struggling to do it, makes night driving quite a pain when the stereo is on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
@Ben.C If you go into your settings, it's the second icon on the bottom and then click on the button on the right for "Display". idk if your version is different than mine, but it should at least be similar.

Then if you go into the third icon (gear), there's an option to set when/how the brightness changes from high to low:

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Ben.C If you go into your settings, it's the second icon on the bottom and then click on the button on the right for "Display". idk if your version is different than mine, but it should at least be similar.

View attachment 108589 View attachment 108590

Then if you go into the third icon (gear), there's an option to set when/how the brightness changes from high to low:
View attachment 108591
Thanks Outrun, appreciate you taking the time to give such clear instructions. I identified a few issues, first I have the bigger screen, second, the top part of my touch screen where "device" is selected doesn't seem to be working.

It beeps but doesn't highlight like the other areas, same problem exists in other menus on the same spot. Luckily, I have the smaller screen in a box, will put it on and see if I can adjust the brightness down. Hopefully it's just a mater of pulling one off and slotting on the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello guys, I am a new member and as you I have an Alfa 4C and I recently installed a JY-HOS01N4GS-2 joying unit.
I had trouble yesterday to connect a Veepeak OBD2 scanner (same one used by @Joeker) so after researching on different forums I figured out the solution, posting it here so it may be useful for someone else.

Joying is limiting the default android bluetooth stack so you can connect only specific bluetooth peripherals, anything else won't even appear on the list (in case of the OBD they allow only the ELM327 to connect).
If you want to see the full list of bluetooth peripherals just follow the steps below:

1.Download the latest firmware from joying for your unit
2.Copy only the files "lsec6521update" and "config.txt" to a usb stick
3.Edit the file "config.txt", at the line "sys.fyt.bluetooth_type=1" change the value to 0 so it will be "sys.fyt.bluetooth_type=0" and save
4.Connect the usb key to the unit and flash

After the reboot you should see many more BT devices on the list. If you still have trouble to pair download the app
"Bluetooth Pair" from the playstore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting, thanks.

I also have troubles connecting my OBD
=> Does anybody uses an OBD with Wifi ?
I'd like to use my Vgate iCar 2 OBD wifi but I can't connect it, it is not responding (while it works very well on my BMW).

Thanks for your advise

·
Registered
15 Posts
If anyone has problems with the screen glare under the sun I recommend these films from Dipos:
They fit perfectly and they really help.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The main problems I had were getting stuck in the Head Unit Reloaded app and the buttons doing nothing, then pressing the power button in the app which blacked out the screen forever. There was no uninstall option so I deleted it which triggered an automatic refund in the Google Play store so I ran another test on the Trial version which worked so I purchased it again.

I remember getting it all working on the screen, but sound only came out of the phone, then after unplugging and replugging, it wouldn't work at all. What did it for me was clicking on the "Do Not Ask Again" kind of message and when I pressed the big "USB" button once I got it connected. Doing that finally routed sound through the audio system. Not sure if this helps, but I say mess with the trial version. If you can get that far, then Samy's tips work in the paid version, setting the resolution to 1080 and 250 dpi.

Note: I haven't deleted the Zlink app since I still need it for my iPhone as I switch back and forth a lot and it uses wireless so their settings don't interfere with each other. I may email Joying again to let them know that it's possible to get full-screen Android Auto working and that they should issue an update.

Send me a PM and I'll help you

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed the cerberus app (disguised version) and if you have a sim card attached I highly recommend!
It will not show up on the list of applications on the car and it allows you to remotely check the car position (current and history), sound an alarm through the speakers, block the head unit and display custom messages. For 6$ per year it's a nice anti-theft system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I installed the cerberus app (disguised version) and if you have a sim card attached I highly recommend!
It will not show up on the list of applications on the car and it allows you to remotely check the car position (current and history), sound an alarm through the speakers, block the head unit and display custom messages. For 6$ per year it's a nice anti-theft system.
Do you need a phone plan, or just a SIM card?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you need a phone plan, or just a SIM card?
You need a plan to be able to transmit data. I added a data only sim card to my existing plan with verizon, worked fine for me. It should work also if the car is connected via wifi, however most of the time if the car is moving it won't be connected to internet, unless they connect it to a mobile hotspot.

For this to work the joying itself needs to be connected to internet, if you simply use it to stream music or with carplay it won't work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had some issues with Verizon (due to CDMA) so I tested different plans. At the end the operators working best in the States are AT&T and T-Mobile because they use GSM.
I was also able to call and send messages from the car using an AT&T prepaid plan.

Today I also added the joying steering wheel controller: Joying Newest Wireless Steering Wheel Control for Android Car Stereo
Had to splice the joying harness to connect the receiver for ACC and GND, it works great and I can finally manage the volume without the touchscreen.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had some issues with Verizon (due to CDMA) so I tested different plans. At the end the operators working best in the States are AT&T and T-Mobile because they use GSM.
I was also able to call and send messages from the car using an AT&T prepaid plan.

Today I also added the joying steering wheel controller: Joying Newest Wireless Steering Wheel Control for Android Car Stereo
Had to splice the joying harness to connect the receiver for ACC and GND, it works great and I can finally manage the volume without the touchscreen.
Do you mind taking some pics of your wiring? I tried installing one of these and can’t tell if it’s DOA or I’m an idiot. Did you have to sync the remote or use any software to setup the buttons etc? Problem is there’s not light on the receiver so not even sure that’s getting power.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll try to take some pics later but it's really simple.

Connect the blue KEY cable from the receiver to the brown KEY1 cable on the harness.
Then, score a bit the plastic sheathing (don't cut all the way through) to expose the metal wires on the ISO harness for the RED and the BLACK cables.
Connect the red ACC cable from the receiver to the red cable on the harness and the black GND cable to the black cable on the harness. I soldered them just to make sure they won't move and covered with electrical tape.
After everything is connected remember to map the keys on the controller using the app, it's called control:

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Everyone -

Maybe I missed it, but I just installed the same unit and cannot locate any instructions on setup and use the thing. It came with bluetooth setup instructions, but nothing else. It works, but even the radio setup isn't straightforward - i.e. how do you scan and lock in stations?

Eventually I'd love to have a custom background and all the other neat things but right now I'd like to get my phone connected, apple carplay working, and all my radio stations memorized.

Appreciate any help!
James

·
Registered
340 Posts
Today I installed everything. It's perfect everything working fine even Carplay without cable.
The only "problem" that I have is when I'm listening the radio from the car (am/fm) and I start CarPlay, the radio turns off and I can't listen it with carplay. Do you guys know what I have to do to listen the radio during I'm play CarPlay? Thanks
Did you ever figure this problem out?

261 - 280 of 283 Posts