Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

281 - 300 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey guys... the new Android 10 version with the newest Intel processor, upgraded Bluetooth and wifi connectivity has been released. Unfortunately the screen resolution is still the same (must be due to odd aspect ratio).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think the bezel is different on the new one. Not sure. It has the metallic look around the edge. Is that new? I think it would match the metal in car nicely (door, DNA switch,Alfa logo on steering wheel).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finished installing mine this evening. Just the unit and the microphone for now. I have the Berolia iphone dock sleeve on the way and will do a backup camera this winter. I'm also wondering if I could convert the two empty switches in the dash to be a toggle for the camera and a volume button...

Here are a couple quick pics. I can take better ones if anyone would like to see something specific. The first pics are of the back of the screen with the new cover that now comes with them. Then a pic of it after I put about 12 coats of the satin black Duplicolor Plastidip compettitor on the silver back of the screen and the wiring cover. Finally a couple showing it from the passenger's seat, outside of the car through the windshield, and from the driver's seat.

Position-wise, I went with one step higher than centered as this lets it push flush with the dash (if you also bend the stop tabs as noted earlier), and it shows the switches below fully and still sits below the vents. It does cover the red stitching below the vents, but I think it looks fairly natural in the modern world where every car now has a screen sticking up out of it. I'll actually drive with it for the first time tomorrow.
Silly question, where did you get the cover between the screen the mainunit? i asked joying and they told me dont have it.

Thansk!
Henry

·
Registered
2015 4C Coupe
53 Posts
I installed the Joying 8.8 with wireless CarPlay and figured I'd throw in my thoughts after about a month. First of all, plug and play installation was as easy as it gets.
  • Some people like the modern look some don't so I won't really get into the aesthetics other than I think it does give it a great clean modern look (Mine doesn't have the Joying logo).
  • The audio was immediately improved. If a stranger was exposed to the before and after audio in my car they would have thought I got new speakers. I cannot believe how bad the Parrot is at channeling audio. So if you want better audio ditch the Parrot for almost anything else lol.
  • Apple CarPlay is awesome for maps, but if you are not using maps it a bit of a pain because it's like a 4 step process to change the volume while in Apply CarPlay. I've also had the CarPlay freeze on me twice so in my experience it is far from perfect.
  • Back to the volume - changing the volume on a touchscreen slider while driving just isn't as easy as a knob and it never will be. I might have to get the wireless steering wheel volume controller.
  • I know there is more to learn too as there are a lot of customization options that I haven't dug into at all. And when I eventually set up a backup camera it will add a lot more value.
My top pros are how it looks and how much it improved my audio. It is not easier to use than a standard single-din unit so it is really only worth it if you plan to use the additional features it offers.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
872 Posts
Just got my J8.8 and was wondering... what are these cables/wires for?

·
Registered
46 Posts
just getting ready to install my Joying 8.8. Am I corrrect in summarizing that the only microphone that works with this is the one that it comes with? An adapter will not work? I'm replacing the original Parrot Radio.

·
Registered
2015 4C Coupe
53 Posts
just getting ready to install my Joying 8.8. Am I corrrect in summarizing that the only microphone that works with this is the one that it comes with? An adapter will not work? I'm replacing the original Parrot Radio.
From my research there’s no adapter that makes the parrot mic work with the Joying. If someone found one id be thrilled.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
872 Posts
Cable on the left is a simcard holder. You can put a simcard on the black thing. The cable on the right I have no idea
Thanks @Samy ! the on on the right is actually 6 wires two of which are taped off. The other ones are labeled "IR", "CAN IN", "CAN OUT" and "KEY". If anybody knows, that'd be great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks @Samy ! the on on the right is actually 6 wires two of which are taped off. The other ones are labeled "IR", "CAN IN", "CAN OUT" and "KEY". If anybody knows, that'd be great.
key is usualy related to remote controls.

i'd guess that can in and out would b some form of advanced canbus integration.

regardless u dont need any of them for the simple install, just the iso

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey all, I installed my 8.8 this week but having some fitment issues. Mine will not sit flush, and in fact came with a plastic spacer that surrounds the mounting nipples to hide them, and is about 3/4 inch thick. When I have the nipples mounted on the back of the screen so that it sits at the height I'd want it to sit in the dash, it interferes with the plug for the screen. I've seen one or two of you cut out that portion of the dashboard, but in this scenario I'd have to actually notch that spacer, not the dashboard. Is there something I'm missing here? Why does my screen not sit flush into the head unit like others'?

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey all, I installed my 8.8 this week but having some fitment issues. Mine will not sit flush, and in fact came with a plastic spacer that surrounds the mounting nipples to hide them, and is about 3/4 inch thick. When I have the nipples mounted on the back of the screen so that it sits at the height I'd want it to sit in the dash, it interferes with the plug for the screen. I've seen one or two of you cut out that portion of the dashboard, but in this scenario I'd have to actually notch that spacer, not the dashboard. Is there something I'm missing here? Why does my screen not sit flush into the head unit like others'?
i had the same. just ditched the spacer for now until i come up with another solution.

not much help i know, but at least ur not going mad 😂

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depends how far you want to go for me to have a high position like this

First I have to cut part of the black plastic radio surrounding highlight in red, if in the futures you want to convert back to original this piece is replaceable and not very expensive. (I think :huh:)

For me when I brought this unit the white plastic cover is not available, so I cut two black plastic strips and bend it to cover the side, refer to the picture above highlight in yellow, that is the length.

Also need to bend the tab in order for the unit to go a far inside as possible to hide the connector.

For you I think you need to cut the top part of white plastic cover in the middle, the length will be the length of the connector.

Hopes it helps
how is the back and sides of your display carbon fiber? is this a tape you used or vinyl or what?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had the same. just ditched the spacer for now until i come up with another solution.

not much help i know, but at least ur not going mad 😂

lol my solution so far was just to mount it back in the center which covers all the symbols for my toggles. Looking further through this thread it appears we have to notch that spacer...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone managed to get the joying unit to go into standby mode when turning the car off? i can't get the setting to work. I've found the "shutdown delay when acc off" (or similar wording) setting, but it's permanently off and i can't seem to change it?? i'm not looking for it to go into standby always, but just for short periods like getting petrol, really annoying waiting for it to start up again.

Also if anyone's figured out how to autolaunch carplay that would be appreciated too. none of the autorun apps seem to work.

And finally speed adaptive volume adjustment? anyone got that to work? so it gets louder as you speed up, or more importantly quieter as you stop.

lol my solution so far was just to mount it back in the center which covers all the symbols for my toggles. Looking further through this thread it appears we have to notch that spacer...
with regards this, having looked closer, if you snap off the 4 prongs on the corners of the front of the head unit itself it'll slide even further back into the dash and look way better. no vent coverage and you can now see the A/C lights etc.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Mine goes into standby and only does a full boot after a considerable amount of time. As in days. I don't think I've ever adjusted any settings related to it. Did you maybe do anything weird with which power wire you used, or just plug into the ISO connector as normal?

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
872 Posts
After a long struggle, finally managed to get my Alpine unit out of the dash. Had to remove the plastic rings that hold the harness to the dash frame. There was not enough slack to allow me to pull the head unit out enough to undo the harnesses. I also removed the trim "glove box" under the dash on the passenger side. Seven bolts with very small allen head. What a pain, my hand and wrist is all scraped up! Next to remove center console.

Step... by... step...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine goes into standby and only does a full boot after a considerable amount of time. As in days. I don't think I've ever adjusted any settings related to it. Did you maybe do anything weird with which power wire you used, or just plug into the ISO connector as normal?
how strange, yes this is what i want. I just plugged the supplied cable into the ISO harness on the car.

which model do you have? mine is this one with android 10

Just looking through their FAQ and it does say that boot time should only be 2-3 seconds on subsequent boots. i'm not getting that :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
turns out my unit the yellow and red are the wrong way round, i've just switched them and it's perfect now. i saw someone mention this as an issue on another chinese unit so thought i'd give it a go.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
872 Posts
Next couple of questions:

I've got 2 4G antennas (and 2 outlets on the back of the head unit). Do I need both? Anyone know what a 4G antenna is used for?

The blue/white wire labeled "Brake", it goes to the hand brake so you are limited to what can be adjusted while the car is in motion? Can I just connect that to Ground so all adjustments can be done all of the time?

The GPS antenna, I was thinking of putting that in the headliner by the dome light (I have a spider). Does it matter which side is up? Where have some of you put it?

The orange wire labeled "Back", does that get connected to the reverse light power? (as well as the red wire attached to the video yellow plug for the camera shown below)

Thanks gang!

281 - 300 of 304 Posts