Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

301 - 304 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Next couple of questions:

I've got 2 4G antennas (and 2 outlets on the back of the head unit). Do I need both? Anyone know what a 4G antenna is used for?
4G antenna is used if you plan to insert a SIM card into the SIM card holder and use a data plan to access the internet directly on the device. If no SIM card, then no need for the antennas.

The GPS antenna, I was thinking of putting that in the headliner by the dome light (I have a spider). Does it matter which side is up? Where have some of you put it?
I wouldn't put it there, ideally you'd want it under the windscreen on top of the dash, but that's ugly and a layer of plastic won't hurt the signal. So get down into the passenger footwell and if you reach up in the dash directly behind the head unit, there's a small ledge just under the top of the dash, i just stuck it there with some 3M sticky pads. signal is good.

The orange wire labeled "Back", does that get connected to the reverse light power? (as well as the red wire attached to the video yellow plug for the camera shown below)

View attachment 114520
Yes, this connects to the reverse light power and tells the head unit to switch to reverse mode. But the red cable attached to the RCA video cable is how you do that. You then also need to connect power to the camera using cable you don't have in the picture, should plug into the red female plug and the other end is ground and reverse light power.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
872 Posts
4G antenna is used if you plan to insert a SIM card into the SIM card holder and use a data plan to access the internet directly on the device. If no SIM card, then no need for the antennas.
Oh, so that's what that other cable is for. I thought it was for a memory card.

I wouldn't put it there, ideally you'd want it under the windscreen on top of the dash, but that's ugly and a layer of plastic won't hurt the signal. So get down into the passenger footwell and if you reach up in the dash directly behind the head unit, there's a small ledge just under the top of the dash, i just stuck it there with some 3M sticky pads. signal is good.
Great, thanks!

Yes, this connects to the reverse light power and tells the head unit to switch to reverse mode. But the red cable attached to the RCA video cable is how you do that. You then also need to connect power to the camera using cable you don't have in the picture, should plug into the red female plug and the other end is ground and reverse light power.
I'm confused. I don't have any cable that would connect to the Red female plug. Edit: I found the wire!!!
And I checked on the joying site and yes, the orange wire is connected to the red wire coming out of the RCA yellow cable.
The other end connects to the camera yellow RCA connector and the little red wire at that end connects to the 12v power that also connects to the red RCA connector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm confused. I don't have any cable that would connect to the Red female plug. Does the orange wire need to be connected if I use the red wire coming out of the RCA yellow cable? Or does the orange wire connect to the other end of the RCA cable with the red wire?
I thought the camera gets power from the reverse light, when you splice into that.
There should be a cable like this. The plug plugs into the red female socket on the camera. The 2 wires on the other end connect to the positive and negative on the reversing light. Without this the camera won't have any power.

You also then connect the red wire attached to the long RCA cable to the positive on the reversing light. Then run the RCA to the head unit where you attach the yellow RCA to the backup camera RCA input and the red wire to the cable on the joying labelled "back" (possibly orange, i can't remember). This red cable doesn't power the camera, this just tells the head unit that you are in reverse.

301 - 304 of 304 Posts