Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
381 - 400 of 407 Posts

· Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Crap I think I figured out the issue. Factory mic is 2.5 TRRS (three pole) and the joying mic is 2.5 TS (single pole). If there’s an adapter for that it should work. Idk I’ll look later. Heading out for a bit.

· Premium Member
85 Posts
What was the issue with the remote?
I had disconnected the CAN-OUT and KEY cables (for no reason) and it turns out if they aren't connected the remote doesn't work.
Is there really not an adapter that will make the stock mic work?
You are right there probably is and I searched the forum, but found some people saying they had no luck. I thought I would be able to use the built in mic, but I guess not. For now I am just going to let it be real ugly, I want to drive and work on the exterior polish more.

If someone finds the magic adapter I will definitely get one.

You could swap the screens if you choose (I bought both to test which I liked more):
Oh nice! I didn't know that. Well I already invested heavily in getting the remote working so the 8.8 would be viable. Not much reason to add the controls now. I think I will order the steering mounted one as well since I read that the receiver works for multiple transmitters.

· Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
436 Posts
Crap I think I figured out the issue. Factory mic is 2.5 TRRS (three pole) and the joying mic is 2.5 TS (single pole). If there’s an adapter for that it should work. Idk I’ll look later. Heading out for a bit.
Awesome!

· Premium Member
4C LE 075 Rosso Tub
436 Posts
Mine came with a bounty of microphones to choose from. I only found a wire for the one that was plugged into the Parrot.
View attachment 132121
I believe only one of those is dedicated to calls, the top driver directional. The others (I think) are connected to other areas of the 4C, safety systems?

· Premium Member
4,043 Posts
Mine came with a bounty of microphones to choose from. I only found a wire for the one that was plugged into the Parrot.
View attachment 132121
The middle is the mic. The two on the side are part of the security system/immobilizer.

So on this mythical adapter. The input to the Joying is mono (single pole) whereas the mic that’s in the car is stereo. I’m guessing (and not an audio person so way outside my depth) that that’s why I’d doesn’t work. A mono input for a Bluetooth mic makes sense actually. If you can find an adapter to balance the stereo 2.5 mic to mono 2.5 I would be somewhat surprised if it didn’t work. I looked quickly on mono price and I’m not sure such a thing exists though 😂. It may require something more involved. I’ll look into it though

(you have to applaud my dedication to not running that wire 😂🤣😂)

· Premium Member
85 Posts
Been thinking about the adapter issue. I think have an option, maybe not the best, but an option. Convert the TRRS to 3 RCA plugs, then get a female RCA to TS adapter and pick the correct RCA. I am not sure if the TRRS coming from the OE mic has one or two mic channels, but you might not need both to a get a working result.

It won't be the most compact, but it should at least let us prototype a solution. I am having trouble finding the right things in 2.5mm, but I am sure it is out there.

I have a friend who builds radio who is confident he can figure it out, but they are out of town for the week. He said you can connect a multimeter and shout into the mic to find out which RCA plug (or part of the tip) is the right one.

· Registered
2016 4C Spider
226 Posts
Yes, it's super easy to ditch the OEM mic and clip on the Joying mic then route the cable, I just did the install last night. I placed the mic to the left of the driver between the visor and pillar. I'm not a fan of the factory location near the rearview mirror, and most/all OEM mics are to the left of the driver. It seems that you'd get less wind noise in that location as well, not being in the center of the car (if you have a spider) but I haven't had a chance to fully test it out yet.

I also purchased the steering wheel remote and mounted it on the wiper stalk instead of the wheel. It's out of the way, but still easy enough to access.

· Registered
2015 4C Coupe
333 Posts
But if there is an adapter for the OEM mics that would be a very easy and clean solution. Its just a matter of finding what will make it work. Im using the joying mic right now but if someone figures out an adapter I would jump on that asap

· Registered
1,858 Posts
I finally got rid of the troublesome steering wheel remote and installed one of these. It was real chrome-y so I hit it with a couple coats of smoke tint spray (usually for tail lights, etc.) and it matches the DNA and door handle brackets pretty good!
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Car

· Registered
2016 4C Spider
226 Posts
That looks really nice, and matches the car's interior way better than the Joying steering wheel control. Unfortunately, that cup holder is too far back and requires taking my eyes off the road and my arm to contort in order to use it. Does it work in that position for you?

I mounted the steering wheel remote to the windshield wiper stalk. It seems like it will work good enough in that location. My only complaintsis are that there's a slight delay in making volume changes, I wish there were more programmable buttons, and I wish the backlight color was selectable.

· Registered
248 Posts
That looks really nice, and matches the car's interior way better than the Joying steering wheel control. Unfortunately, that cup holder is too far back and requires taking my eyes off the road and my arm to contort in order to use it. Does it work in that position for you?

I mounted the steering wheel remote to the windshield wiper stalk. It seems like it will work good enough in that location. My only complaintsis are that there's a slight delay in making volume changes, I wish there were more programmable buttons, and I wish the backlight color was selectable.
I have mine in the same spot and the only thing I use it for is volume control since the rest is on the screen. I don't need to look at it to know to turn the knob one way or the other. I ordered the third option they sell and I am going to try and mount that flush in the same location when I get a little more time.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture

· Registered
1,858 Posts

That's what I like about this one, the volume changes are really quick. And yes, it would be cool if I could backlight it in yellow!

I have mine in the same spot and the only thing I use it for is volume control since the rest is on the screen. I don't need to look at it to know to turn the knob one way or the other. I ordered the third option they sell and I am going to try and mount that flush in the same location when I get a little more time.
Volume control and the pause/mute options. Yes, you don't need to see to adjust the volume. And the mute button is in the center of the dial so it's easy to find without looking.
You painted yours black? Looks good!

Where are you going to mount the second one?

· Registered
248 Posts
Volume control and the pause/mute options. Yes, you don't need to see to adjust the volume. And the mute button is in the center of the dial so it's easy to find without looking.
You painted yours black? Looks good!

Where are you going to mount the second one?
[/QUOTE]

I am going to see if there are any other locations that I like but the current idea is to make something that goes down in the same opening but doesn't stick up above the lip in the same place this one is. It will probably be next week before I get a chance to CNC the first prototype. I am currently making something else for the 4C. :LOL:

· Registered
236 Posts
I've managed to finally get around to installing the reverse camera, haven't wired it through the car yet (until it works), but I can't seem to get it powered up for some reason...

What's the foolproof way to test where I've screwed this up?

It is all wired exactly as per instructions, but nothing is starting up. Any obvious fixes on this or do I just start again?

· Registered
236 Posts
Where are you getting power from to the camera? I took power from reverse light.
I've plugged in the long AV cable to the "back" cable and "rear view camera" AV input from the headunit, and then connected that up to the rear camera with the long adapter. The power adapter is also connected to that same cable, with the camera & the long adapter's cables plugging into the long connector.

Doesn't that feed power? Do I have to actually feed in power from one of the rear lights directly? (If so, how?) I can't see the reverse light cable, I can see the number plate lights though

Attachments

381 - 400 of 407 Posts