Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
401 - 407 of 407 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
What exactly isn't starting up?
The camera isn't powering up.

Is there a specific light I might use if I wanted the option to switch on the camera even if not in reverse?

(Assuming tapping into Reverse light only allows it to come on when reversing)

EDIT: I can't tap successfully into the reverse light either so I'm out of options other than just getting down to a shop, I think

· Registered
2016 4C Spider
226 Posts
Are you sure it isn't an issue with the settings? If I remember correctly there are a bunch of poorly labeled menus you need to navigate to set everything up. Under settings, one of the tabs requires a password (I think it's 3368) and you can set up various features including the backup lines for the rear camera. Sorry, it's been a couple of months since I did the install so I can't remember specific details, but I think you have to enable it in the menus before it will work.

· Registered
279 Posts
Ok I have a really dumb and fairly embarrassing question... but how do I remove the Alpine head unit?

I found the 4C Alpine Head Unit manual online and removed the face plate. Unfortunately the manual doesn't say how to remove the head unit itself. I have the faceplate case and the two aluminum tools to remove the deck that came with the car but I cannot find the slots to slide the removal tools in. I got my head under the passenger side of the dash (what a pain!) and I can see the metal tabs that were pulled to keep the Alpine deck in place but actually reaching them to straighten them out seems to be darn near impossible.

I've read over and over that the swap is easy, but I'm stuck with the most basic thing lol. All the YouTube videos only show removing the Parrot. Would somebody please help me? Thanks! Any advice on the rest of the process would be awesome .

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

· Registered
2016 4C Spider
226 Posts
I didn't remove the factory unit (previous owner had installed a Pioneer) but it sounds like you're on the right track. I think you should be able to depress the retaining tabs on the right and left sides of the stereo by using a thin tool inserted through the front. Once you pull out the main assembly you can access the bent tabs from the front and remove the frame.

· Registered
279 Posts
I didn't remove the factory unit (previous owner had installed a Pioneer) but it sounds like you're on the right track. I think you should be able to depress the retaining tabs on the right and left sides of the stereo by using a thin tool inserted through the front. Once you pull out the main assembly you can access the bent tabs from the front and remove the frame.
Got it. Thanks!

· Registered
279 Posts
Guys - I sorted this.

1 - Remote control - per my post above, the orange amp control cable coming out of the joying harness needs to be connected to the factory 4C wiring harness if you have the alpine upgraded sound system. Without this you will get no sound. I was just looking for the cleanest possible solution. With my car in pieces I didn't want to wait around to order the right ISO connector pin etc etc etc so I used a wire tap which did the trick

2 - The latest Joying 8.8 units are slightly different to earlier in the thread. Others have mentioned the inability to raise the screen a notch as the screen cable prevents the screen from seating into the head unit. Turned out there's a plastic shroud on the head unit which pops off. I will trim + paint this and reinstall it when I button everything back up (early on in this thread people were having to make their own shrouds).

Will post a write-up with pics soon.
Which wire should the orange amp control cable tap into for power? I've seen the wire described as light blue/gray but I only see two that could fit that description... One is a brighter medium blue and the other is a darkish greyish blue. I'm guessing it's the latter but I just don't know.

· Registered
343 Posts
sorry @jagman only just saw this. in case you haven't sorted it, this is the important bit:

On the 4C factory loom (which the joying harness plugs into), the light blue/grey cable is the Amp cable which needs an ACC 12V signal from the Joying, to enable the amp to be switched on (so you get .. sound).

View attachment 118845

This wire is where the Joying Amp-Cont would connect to if it was installed in the Joying harness. As I couldn't get that to work, I used a tap

View attachment 118846
It's hard to explain the color but if you can't match it to the picture above - go with the location. In the first pic light blue/grey (green!!?) cable on the harness. The second picture shows it being tapped. If you orient your 4C harness in the same way as the picture above, the cable you want to tap is on the bottom row, one slot from the right.

Hope that helps mate

401 - 407 of 407 Posts