Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OT I know. My Canada peoples, I'd like to come back in please. We bought a cabin in NW Ontario and haven't been up for a long time because of Covid.

What are the chances the border will be open by the summer?

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
There’s no public information on this yet. Given that there are vaccination programs is moving along finally, it may be good by summer.

My guess would be mid summer, and to begin with only with proof of vaccination and/or negative test.

Given the importance of tourism to our economy, and the way that has been ravaged, we’re all crossing our fingers. But vaccination up here will probably not be done until early 2022, and as long as we are vulnerable, governments will be shy to let others in.

My source is no longer with the border services agency.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As far as I know only the land borders are closed. You can still fly to Canada from the USA, the recent change is you also need a negative covid test and possibly quarantine. By the summer these restrictions will probably only apply to anyone who has not been vaccinated.

If you need to bring a car then you need to ship it across the border and pick it up in Canada. There are services that do this for snow birds that move down to Florida for the winter months.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In for updates.

Was planning on visiting Lake Louise in late July this year and from my understanding no "tourism" activities were allowed. It appeared online that if you were visiting family/business basically anything that isn't tourism you could go with the correct negative test.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Current rules here:

As DanK said, the land border is closed to all but essential workers and commercial traffic.
Airport arrivals must be for re-unting family or "essential" purposes (that's a moving target, but the link above denies access for tourism at this time).

Negative test prior to boarding, and 14-day isolation quarantine upon arrival are mandatory. If you do not show a cohesive plan for isolation, you will not be granted entry. Details below.

This, I think, is now standard for flights both ways across our border. So, same circumstances upon your return to the States.

However, that's now. Summer is a long time off and I pray that things will be much better by then.

This page should be updated regularly, and is the launch page to find out the most current rules.

Copied directly from that website at this time:

Temporary border restriction implemented on March 21, 2020 continues.

Foreigners with symptoms
If you’re a foreign national and you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you will not be able to enter Canada.

Foreigners without symptoms
You must have a suitable place and plan to quarantine. This is mandatory, unless your reason for entry is considered quarantine exempt. If you do not have a plan, you may be denied entry into Canada.

If you’re flying to Canada you will need a negative COVID-19 test result before boarding; unless you’re exempt from the testing requirement.

No entry for optional reasons
A foreign national will be denied entry into Canada for discretionary (optional) reasons such as:

• leisure, tourism, visiting friends
  • social gatherings, weddings
  • being a property owner in Canada
Entry for non-discretionary (non-optional) reasons
Foreigners entering from the U.S may only enter to:

Reunite with family in CanadaTravel for an essential or not discretionary (optional) reasonTransiting through Canada
You may be permitted to transit through Canada to reach another country.

For more information about flights, see Transit to another country by air.

Alaska and the rest of the United States
You will likely be permitted to transit across Canada, but there are several requirements to follow.

For more information, see Transit between Alaska and the rest of the United States

Canadian waters
You cannot enter Canadian waters for optional reasons. You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit.

For more information, see Transit through Canadian waters

Provincial and territorial requirements
You may have to comply with additional quarantine requirements, make declarations of your arrival or other restrictions depending on which province or territory is your final destination.

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it would be for recreation, and specifically says no just if you own property. I can get a vaccine next month, and will probably do that just to make re-entry easier.

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next week I'm getting my second dose. They've gotta let me in, right?

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Next week I'm getting my second dose. They've gotta let me in, right?
Vaccine will keep you from becoming ill, but there is still some debate as to whether you can still carry or pass on the virus.

Land border remains closed to all but essential workers and commercial vehicles. International flights are only into 4 airports. Not sure what qualifies to be permitted in right now (it’s returning Canadians AFAIK). You need a negative test to board, and get another one when you land, then have to go directly to a government approved hotel for minimum 3 day quarantine pending the results of that second test.

To top it all off with a cherry, when you get out of the hotel, much of the country is in various stages of lockdown / stay at home orders.

I’m afraid that it will be a while yet. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts