Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Have spent the last hour searching and reading through the forum.

I know KW make Novitec's (well, SS's) coilovers for them, but have heard some people say the settings are different and they will drive slightly differently.

I can get them for the same price in the UK: is there any reason to think one is better than the other?

Thank you!
Umer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you find my impressions about Novitec?
I did! It was extremely helpful, and is actually why I'm currently thinking that might be the way to go, even though I can get the normally more expensive KW V2 for the same price.

Was just thinking, it's a big investment, I don't have much spare income to spend on the car, so I wanted to make the best decision. Just changing tyres and having the blocks on it has made it a much better car, but it also makes me think for c.$5-7k, I could make this beautiful little car what it should always have been!

·
Registered
677 Posts
i don't know if there is anybody can give good comparison information of those.
I would ask Andre from shop-alfisti. Just write them an email.
if i had to guess i would say that based on KW's softer springs the ride should be more compliant and better dealing with bad roads (not that Novitec are bad or punishing in this regard) but less sharp and immediate on the track.
But this is a educated guess.
But anyway it all starts from your requirements and local conditions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Croc

Requirements are c.8-10k miles of mixed driving, 4-6 trackdays, want the right set-up for both and to also lower the car 1-1.5cm.

I've dropped Alfisti an email, hopefully they'll have some info. I'll post on here when I get it

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just purchase the best 3-way coilovers and get it done. I have the Nitrons and it's simply amazing. Can't beat it for the money.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just purchase the best 3-way coilovers and get it done. I have the Nitrons and it's simply amazing. Can't beat it for the money.
The 3 way Nitrons are quite far out of budget, unfortunately...

I wish I could afford them, but I just can't.

Are they really that much better than Novitec Competiziones??

·
Registered
341 Posts
Novitec competizione might be above nitron.
Why? It seems like you are quite nerdy at the topic and might be able to explain for us to take away some guesswork.

I’ve been wondering if Novitec is the right choice for me(thanks for the table in another thread), usually I can avoid really bad roads. Springs are quite a bit stiffer, so most likely ok with me, and track day performance is priority for me. But for bad road, stiff springs will loose traction. If I guess correct, that kind of roads might be better with the softer help springs Nitron use?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nitrons are track focussed. With heavier springs rates they are very stiff but on the track it's ideal. I use mine around 80% track and 20% country lane. I find them more predictable during hard cornering. Also solid motor mounts are a must. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interestingly, Alfisti.net recommend the Corse+ Black over the Competizione if the car is used a lot in every day life.

I'm thinking of buying the regular Corse+ for the added comfort aspect over bad roads given UK roads suck and I do a good chunk of mileage in the car

·
Registered
341 Posts
The 3 way Nitrons are quite far out of budget, unfortunately...

I wish I could afford them, but I just can't.

Are they really that much better than Novitec Competiziones??
If that’s the one you really want, wait until you have the money.

Buy once, cry once. That’s my experience.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If that’s the one you really want, wait until you have the money.

Buy once, cry once. That’s my experience.
The truth is I havent got a clue if they're better suited for me or not.

I only started the thread to try and figure it out. Hadn't even considered them, but Nimo was strong in his recommendation!!

Hopefully get a response from Andre today too, which might help

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Why? It seems like you are quite nerdy at the topic and might be able to explain for us to take away some guesswork.

I’ve been wondering if Novitec is the right choice for me(thanks for the table in another thread), usually I can avoid really bad roads. Springs are quite a bit stiffer, so most likely ok with me, and track day performance is priority for me. But for bad road, stiff springs will loose traction. If I guess correct, that kind of roads might be better with the softer help springs Nitron use?

First, i said "they might be above", because I'm not sure --> I would have to test them both on a race track for an extended period of time to go through many settings to give a definitive answer.

novitec competizione + = upside-down shocks on the rear
nitron = normal shoks on the rear

The upside-down design is considerably stiffer than the normal one and it's purpose is track cars with mcphearson suspension --> On the mcphearson suspension the wheel is kept in position by the lower arms and the shock itself --> For this reason the shock body should be stiff enough.

Our cars: Mcphearson suspension + very high engine position --> Our cars have some "issues" with the rear end that are cured (partially) by the rear uniballs --> An upgrade we all did. --> This upgrade basically removes some of the movement / vibrations in the rear wheels when cornering hard. The wheel will still change it's camber because the shock will bend / vibrate and the shock is basically holding the wheel. --> for this reason you want a very stiff shock assembly.

For these reasons intrax also have upsdide-down shocks and an XL version for upside-down (XL has a bigger diameter and increased stiffness) --> But the price of the intrax is really big.

On this we should add the dampening itself, the springs, ...
In terms of springs = there are more options on novitec coilovers.
Nitrons 3 way adjustable --> are recommended only for those who track the car a lot and know how to make the settings --> I don't think it's "rocket science" but it requires for someone to make a lot of tests on the same racetrack and under similar conditions or a team behind to analyse the data and make the changes. So IMHO nitrons offers some options that many will not use and don't offer something that is needed aka a stiffer shock.

I personally would choose between novitec (being an affordable option) or intrax if money where no concern, but this only because I would be forced to choose based on "online information" and not actual testing. Those close to Germany can go and test the novitec suspensions on streets and racetrack. I don't think it's possible with the other suspensions.

For the street and 2-3 track days / year I would not change the OEM suspension. On the street, even if you drive very aggressive you are still below 50% of the limit of the car so different shocks will make you faster only because you will go a few percents higher.

Please take my feedback only from the position of someone who looked for online information. Nobody actually tested the suspensions against the clock on a race track so actual test information is not available.

·
Registered
341 Posts
First, i said "they might be above", because I'm not sure --> I would have to test them both on a race track for an extended period of time to go through many settings to give a definitive answer.

novitec competizione + = upside-down shocks on the rear
nitron = normal shoks on the rear

The upside-down design is considerably stiffer than the normal one and it's purpose is track cars with mcphearson suspension --> On the mcphearson suspension the wheel is kept in position by the lower arms and the shock itself --> For this reason the shock body should be stiff enough.

Our cars: Mcphearson suspension + very high engine position --> Our cars have some "issues" with the rear end that are cured (partially) by the rear uniballs --> An upgrade we all did. --> This upgrade basically removes some of the movement / vibrations in the rear wheels when cornering hard. The wheel will still change it's camber because the shock will bend / vibrate and the shock is basically holding the wheel. --> for this reason you want a very stiff shock assembly.

For these reasons intrax also have upsdide-down shocks and an XL version for upside-down (XL has a bigger diameter and increased stiffness) --> But the price of the intrax is really big.

On this we should add the dampening itself, the springs, ...
In terms of springs = there are more options on novitec coilovers.
Nitrons 3 way adjustable --> are recommended only for those who track the car a lot and know how to make the settings --> I don't think it's "rocket science" but it requires for someone to make a lot of tests on the same racetrack and under similar conditions or a team behind to analyse the data and make the changes. So IMHO nitrons offers some options that many will not use and don't offer something that is needed aka a stiffer shock.

I personally would choose between novitec (being an affordable option) or intrax if money where no concern, but this only because I would be forced to choose based on "online information" and not actual testing. Those close to Germany can go and test the novitec suspensions on streets and racetrack. I don't think it's possible with the other suspensions.

For the street and 2-3 track days / year I would not change the OEM suspension. On the street, even if you drive very aggressive you are still below 50% of the limit of the car so different shocks will make you faster only because you will go a few percents higher.

Please take my feedback only from the position of someone who looked for online information. Nobody actually tested the suspensions against the clock on a race track so actual test information is not available.
Perfect, thanks! Even if not track tested/verified, your reply saves other(at least me) a lot of digging and b*sht filtering to get better understanding.

I have a gut feeling that adjustable height is beneficial to tune ground clearance front vs rear to change behavior at high speed. It also allows for compensation of changed tire diameter that otherwise often would lift front slightly compared to rear, good example is the not so unusual change to 215/45R18 and 265/35R18. Not sure if it makes a difference, but possibility is absolutely there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for this extremely helpful reply, I've actually clipped only a small amount, but it was a fascinating read
I've read the Novitecs help eradicate the tramlining, and now I've gone up two widths, the whole car is sitting a bit higher.

A combination of wanting to get rid of tramlining completely and then having a slightly more aggressive stance again...

·
Registered
341 Posts
2x15mm rear spacer solved tramlining for my car, and makes the appearance better, something you might consider trying. I still have not noticed downsides.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Corse+ Black is quite comfortable for me.
and i do have few really bad roads for reference.
if i set 1 click softer it will be even better.
but i prefer not to make it too soft and change back before every track day....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2x15mm rear spacer solved tramlining for my car, and makes the appearance better, something you might consider trying. I still have not noticed downsides.
I actually have 2x20mm spacers on there already, as well as Jamie's blocks (I remember posted in your thread). It has made a difference, but not enough. The tyres have made it much more driveable on top of that, but I just want to get rid of it completely. There's a fabulous-handling car under there (evidenced by how nice it is to drive around track, in my opinion), but on the road, it just seems sketchy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts