Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,201 Posts
Jamies’ trick, and probably Pogeas’ too, was to fit the crank of a 2 litre twinspark to get the extra capacity. I’d hardly call that a bigger motor. Unnoticeably larger internals too while keeping it just about all Alfa. Their genius is the simplicity of their engine mod to get increased engine capacity + turbo + race ecu (+ forged pistons + con rods) = >400bhp. Surely enough. I agree, no need to go with an engine outside the family.

Jamie and Pogea have put bigger engines or engines with bigger internals in a 4C

Stripping a car to use as parts to surround an engine, to me, is just building a custom car.

It is 100% not putting a lambo engine into a 4C

Similar to how Nascar’s only share about 5% in common with the actual street car they are based on

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
New pics from engineering company doing work

I appreciate the overall execution but be more excited to see tuned Ferrari 488 engine and gearbox in back ..

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm surprised there's not a transverse brace above the bellhousing between the longerons, but presumably the builders have done their math.

My spider flexes with just the little four-pot in the back, so it will be interesting to see how the new subframe, higher weight, and greater horsepower affect the car. I'd guess it would have a real case of the wiggles, but that may be beside the point for the developer's purposes.

In any case, I think it's neatly executed so far. Monster engine transplants are as old as the automobile, so one can't gripe too much about that, and clearly these folks have put more thought into it than most. Kudos to them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Betcha it won't go all that fast. It will be a show car because nobody is ever going to be able to drive it at beyond parking lot speeds.
That, or it will have nothing to do with the 4C except the tub.
Umm that is exactly what he said. He is only using the tub from the 4C. (OK, oddly also the AC). Nothing else. Not the trim, not even the front except the AC bits. He is doing his own body (which if I understand correctly from the latest video, will be manufactured by an Italian company. The whole thing is significantly wider and obviously longer. Much longer wheelbase.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
There are some videos on Youtube about some guys in Italy that have built 3 Fiat 500s with mid engine Lambo power....also a video of one going around a track. One body is not that highly modified...just flares, another one has monster tires and flares and all kinds of NACA ducting. Overall it s really ugly. Guess it is a case of everybody has the right to build what they want.....but......why??? ;-)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I watch DDE and Houston a lot on YouTube. Idk that the title of this thread is fair in comparison to the comments. He is using the CF tub and building the car around that and the engine. He already said he could careless about the look of the 4C (to each their own I guess, but I'm sure we would all disagree lol). It should be a neat project.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I really don't understand the point of this project.
Why mixing an lambo engine with an alfa 4c chassis when you can strip a lambo car of extra weight ?
He is throwing lots and lots of money into a project and in the end it will be a heavy car (compared to original alfa) that can only go straight and not around the corners. I really doubt that the tiny frame they were building is capable of holding that heavy engine and gearbox without torsion (around corners).

Why not just adding turbos on a lambo and be done with it (basically investing 100 k instead of a million probably) !?

To me it were a much better project to improve the alfa chassis while developing more components from lightweight materials and improving the power so in the end you would get a lighter car with more hp and better aero --> something that handles better, is lightweight, much faster on the track and also street-able.

An 800 Kg alfa with around 300 hp would be a much better project than a straight line car --> A golf 2 from boba would destroy the alfa-lambo project + it looks oem-ish + it has 4 seats + is much much cheaper

·
Registered
7 Posts
This seems a bit over the top. I'd personally love to see the 2.9L V6TT from the Giulia QV go in there. It'll fit with less mods and you'll still get 500+hp in a 4c :D

·
Registered
757 Posts
I really don't understand the point of this project.
Why mixing an lambo engine with an alfa 4c chassis when you can strip a lambo car of extra weight ?
He is throwing lots and lots of money into a project and in the end it will be a heavy car (compared to original alfa) that can only go straight and not around the corners. I really doubt that the tiny frame they were building is capable of holding that heavy engine and gearbox without torsion (around corners).

Why not just adding turbos on a lambo and be done with it (basically investing 100 k instead of a million probably) !?

To me it were a much better project to improve the alfa chassis while developing more components from lightweight materials and improving the power so in the end you would get a lighter car with more hp and better aero --> something that handles better, is lightweight, much faster on the track and also street-able.

An 800 Kg alfa with around 300 hp would be a much better project than a straight line car --> A golf 2 from boba would destroy the alfa-lambo project + it looks oem-ish + it has 4 seats + is much much cheaper
His last video talked about the Italian company he chose to produce the CF body panels. The point of the project is to have a completely customized car. I don't think its going to be very heavy at all. My guess would be around 3,300 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
8,201 Posts
His last video talked about the Italian company he chose to produce the CF body panels. The point of the project is to have a completely customized car. I don't think its going to be very heavy at all. My guess would be around 3,300 lbs.
3,300lbs? Isn’t that close to 1.5tons? In my book that’s heavy when compared to a 4C.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Honestly, to me the power of the car is enough (240 stock or around 270 with tune). The only thing that I can fault this car is the rear end --> I believe (due to it's form) that it makes lift instead of download.

The boot probably makes some downforce (in combination with that small wing) but I believe it's canceled by the rear wheel arches / hips.

What this car brings with such reduced weight is much more than what a heavy car brings with tons of hp.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts