Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Vendor
1,119 Posts
All the benefits of 4C lightweight design that is the cause of a good corner grip and short stopping distances, magically disappears when you get to a straight line and you just watch powerful cars passing you and it is heart breaking experience for me, that I am not weilling to accept. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My business associate had meetings with Houston last Monday . He has big plans for this car well beyond 1-2 cars and I'll be curious if can get clients committed . He very much is building this in same realm of thinking as Venom . It's more about brute power and top speed than handling in the twisties . Hanging with 2000hp Lambos is his motivation for this project and to call it his own .

He actually didn't film it but did meet with Alfa Execs on just buying tubs but I hear it is difficult to get them committed .

Houston is guy like many of us who sit around BSing " Wouldn't it be cool to..." but he has funds to do it and a "hyper screw it let's do it" attitude so expect to see some crazy stuff from him in next few years .

·
Registered
757 Posts
3,300lbs? Isn’t that close to 1.5tons? In my book that’s heavy when compared to a 4C.
Yeah I mean its gonna be a bigger car. Maybe it will be lighter since the plan is all CF panels. No idea hehe.

This thread is trying to rationalize the irrational. Were comparing our 4C to the project of someone who owns many cars that are a lot faster and a lot more expensive than the 4C. Lots of people going well to me 2XX HP is enough or this build makes no sense, why a V10 in a 4C. Apples and oranges.

The guy can already buy w/e car he wants. He has a Bugatti, twin turbo lambos, Ferraris..he wants something unique. All the power to him I say.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
If you are building a 4C for street primary use it makes sense for a company to keep the power to weight ratio output about where it is. On the other hand if you are building a car for racing or "bragging" rights, there are plenty of engines existing around 2 liter to 3 liter that put out huge amounts of power. The engines used in rally cars come to mind. 500 hp plus is not difficult to find. Of course these will be very expensive but when it comes to racing or true supercars that isn't an issue.

I recognize that while the 4C is great cornering and braking, there are cars that will eat its lunch in acceleration and top speed. Rather than giving up where it has advantages, it makes more sense to me to keep the weight down around where it is now.

I like to think of the existing car as the opposite of a car like a Vette which the properly setup 4C will out corner and brake but has the power to make up for that on the straights. To me I much prefer the handling of a car like ours or a properly setup Lotus Exige or Elise even though they won't have the top end pull.

No matter what you have there is a car that will handle better or have more power....you just have to pick a car that does what you want it to at a given price. For me the 4C meets my requirements. Guess it is a case of "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is great for the TX mile top speed run mostly. Weight distribution is good for straightline or C&C. Will feel very close to God in the canyons. Such a cool Mega $$$$$ build but using 4130 tubing on a carbon tub is kinda.......downgrade IMO since he IS going BIG.....at least upgrade to alum like the McLaren/Ti. 4130 was very sexy in the 60s....now its cheap and strong like many drag racing chassis. Or better since he wants to show off the work, build a pre-preg subframe since the backend is all scanned...that would be sexy and more serious engineering involved instead of good old welding of triangulation like most welders can do who like cars.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,712 Posts
Well here is the body design .
Thoughts .?

https://youtu.be/YhAJuzE52YU
Front is nice....rear looks like it is tacked on...not a smooth transition from fast back rear window. The side slots front and rear are OK but are they going to do something or a styling exercise. I don't like scoops, ducts, etc. that aren't functional.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Curious to see where exactly the engine sits and how the drivetrain works.
The back end of this rendering, behind the tub, doesn't really look big enough.
The donor Huracan is a true mid engine, but I assume that the engine will overlap the rear axle here?

Oh, and get a load of the exhaust that they might need to hide somewhere in there...

Will be interesting to see how it progresses. Not for me, even if I had all the money in the world. But I guess somebody may want one.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Front is nice....rear looks like it is tacked on...not a smooth transition from fast back rear window. The side slots front and rear are OK but are they going to do something or a styling exercise. I don't like scoops, ducts, etc. that aren't functional.
I would think that they need to evacuate that much extra air from the radiator in order to get adequate cooling, that the front vents will be functional.
Rears will be proper intakes for twin turbo engine, and intercoolers. No doubt that those will be operational.

·
Super Moderator
8,201 Posts
I see a (kind of) Ferrari 488 front and a Koennigsegg (no umlauts on my keyboard) rear, definitely no external visual Alfa DNA to be seen, unfortunately. Maybe a hint of 4C windscreen and side window.

·
Registered
757 Posts
While I am a fan of this project, I saw his most recent video showing the design and I'm not much of a fan. Its funny because he said in his original video that he didn't like the look of the 4C and from the window seal up (windshield, windows, a pillar, roof) looks exactly like the 4C!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. A Ferrari-like front, a Koennigsegg-like rear, R8-like side vents and with a 4C windscreen and side windows.
Haha, I meant to say that about the R8 side and Ferrari front! Good eye! Now that you mention it I do see the Koenigsegg resemblance!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Curious to see where exactly the engine sits and how the drivetrain works.
The back end of this rendering, behind the tub, doesn't really look big enough.
The donor Huracan is a true mid engine, but I assume that the engine will overlap the rear axle here?
Oh, and get a load of the exhaust that they might need to hide somewhere in there...
Will be interesting to see how it progresses. Not for me, even if I had all the money in the world. But I guess somebody may want one.
With that huge powerplant, xtr. wt. behind the rear axle, 3 shafts DCT is bulky, huge exhaust(easy to change w/ $$$$), the diff., + much shorter wheelbase than the Huracan which will take lots of testing and tweaking to achieve natural balance for handling since the CG is moved up and way behind.

Perhaps active front down force can help otherwise its a steep learning curve to make it handle well w/o feeling close to God every time you turn at speed or keep the front wheels not getting air under a heavy rt. foot...Its gonna be a rocket for sure! and wins 1st place for bad a$$ at SEMA. No one can tell it has a 4130 subframe unless you carry a magnet but that good low-tech bugs me. I think Igor should have made at least an alum subframe like other supercars. Fine workmanship and thumbs up for the V10 sound but not for me...If I had his money, a John Hartley Hayabusa V8 with a Pete Weismann sequential packaging is what I would do and stay close to 2500 lbs or less as much as possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I know we talked about weight balance for this build. But they finally put it on the scale!

Stock: 2565 wet (who knows how much gas) Front L&R: 520 lbs Rear L&R: 760 lbs

Modified: 2460 (without any body panels). Goal 3000 lbs.... I couldn't see the front/rear bias...... Something just doesn't seem right :huh:

Reactions: CJeazy

·
Registered
44 Posts
I see the lads followed my suggestion re the rear upper transverse brace (post 29). Well done.

I'll waive my consulting fee this time.

;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the transmission from that 4C, almost bought the motor too. Ive wondered for about a year now who would take a 30 mile 4C apart, sell the parts and what were rhey building? Now I know, Thanks. Then there is that blue paint I just love. How do you get that?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts