Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Latest Info From AR Aus

60K views 377 replies 37 participants last post by  Ivanivnk 
corresponds to this:

http://m.motoring.com.au/news/2014/car/alfa-romeo/4c/alfa-4c-wait-continues-46662

"Aussie Alfa Romeo fans may still have months to wait for the brand's first new-generation model, the 4C coupe.

First expected early in 2014 and more recently in August, Australian stocks of mid-engined mini-supercar are still yet to be shipped. Indeed, it now looks unlikely that any 4Cs will make it Down Under before the start of 2015.

Alfa Romeo Australia says international demand is to blame. And with the rate at which Alfa Romeo can manufacturer the car's carbon-fibre monocoque chassis strictly limited, the two-seater seems destined to remain in short supply.

Australian pricing and specifications are yet to be formalised for the 4C, which will eventually be sold in both coupe and spyder (convertible) versions. The vehicle is powered by a modest 1.8-litre turbo-petrol four but, at a claimed 895kg, boasts an impressive power-to-weight ratio.

"The delay is due to the phenomenal response from around the world, with demand out-stripping the production rate for this vehicle," Alfa Romeo Australia spokesperson Karla Leach told motoring.com.au.

"We have some vehicles built, but they have not left Italy yet. Late 2014 or early 2015 on-sale are our best indications," she stated.

Published: Wednesday, 8 October 2014
Words:Mike Sinclair
"

"Worldwide demand" - truth or excuse. You be the judge.

Personally, I feel that with the quantities they are making for the USA and Canada, Alfa could have satisfied all other global markets first (probably all without having to make changes to satisfy the US crash regulations), and taken that extra year to actually establish an organization in N. America to handle the re-launch of the brand.

Simply by not promising things in every market that they could not hope to deliver, they would have pissed far fewer people off, satisfied far more, had training and service in place, and been closer to the release of other Alfa models to fill US dealerships. That would have been a business plan.

Instead, they had an orangutan with a dart board determining launch dates around the world, while manufacturing was high on crack at a Burlusconi "bonga bonga" party, and the marketing department apparently stepped off the planet for a couple of years.

But it's alright, because "we are Alfa Romeo".
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

"subject to change"
That's the new corporate mission statement for Alfa Romeo.
I think it also translates as "we haven't a clue"

Good luck - it SOUNDS like they have a plan well into the SE deliveries. And since you have an established AR infrastructure, it might actually play out that way.

Fingers crossed for you, for sure. :)

Where's the "unlike" button?

That really sucks. We get the shaft in Canada, but usually because it is more expensive to do business here than in the USA (taxes, distance between markets, etc). Didn't know you had the same down under. And I don't see the same justification for that to be the case when compared to Europe. Think they got the idea from the gouging dealers in the states - and figured why not try to make the money one level higher up the food chain, this time?

I have to admit that I've been petrified that Alfa will adjust the price of the SE in Canada to reflect a recent tumble in our currency vs the US. But I'm trying not to let it get to me. If this thing falls apart for me, it's been an interesting experience.

I hope you guys can still get your cars - maybe they have to sit at dealerships for a few months without a bite at those prices, before someone at AR Oz does the math and figures it out?

I meant with respect to: 1. No Carrara white, 2. No invite to good wood, 3. No invite to 4C track experience, 4. No invite to maserati factory, 5. Aussie fuel and weather means potential detune even if its undisclosed.

Apologies to everyone if my rant was a little harsh but I've spent 2 years thinking about this car, dreaming about it, imagining driving it, washing it, having it in my garage. I spent two years falling in love with it with no mutual acknowledgement in return. Just like my letter to Katy Perry...

You're dead to me Perry! I hope you and your 4C have an amazing life together while I'm stuck down here riding my shitty kangaroo through the arid desert with no air con...
BenG, although I fully understand your pain, I hope somehow you might still find a way to score a 4C. And don't leave us in a lurch here. We need your sense of humour.

As for the KP thing, um, your secret is safe with us!

Hmmm, kaliber, I guess they adjusted the numbers downwards because they realize they aren't going to sell like hotcakes at that price. So why price them way up there anyway? Oh, wait, I forgot this is Alfa. :(

That's the question that's been on my mind Kaliber. Am I really going to pass up a potentially rare opportunity? For all we know the 4C becomes a flop down here, they stop sending cars and the initial 100 delivered will be the only Aussie cars in history.

But then again with the money I could spend it on an Integrala, an MV Augusta F3 and a 2016 Giulia sedan, ultimately retiring my 159...

No doubt I'd have just as much fun, get as many looks on the street (although that's not my prerogative) and have an investment/better resale value. And variety! Which I'm told is some kind of spice
Buy a 4C and a jar of turmeric.
Problem solved! :D

Do what your heart and pocketbook dictate.
But don't go kicking yourself for what could have been!

Just curious will the Australian dealers be charging a premium?
From the information a couple pages back on this thread, it sounds like AR Australia is taking care of that (they are charging the premium). Doubting the market will bear anything more than that. But it is a good question.

Today's information about deliveries in Australia - straight

from the horse's mouth:

"This Thursday, your dealer will be able to give you solid information.
Pricing and specifications will be announced then."

Hope it is right as it comes from the very top,

Leslie

IF it comes right from the very top, then it is the other end of the horse you should be quoting!

But good luck! Hoping it is good news!!!

19th Jan today! There should be some news today! :):):)
Hope it isn't an announcement that they defintitely, absolutely will announce something in the near future. Maybe later this month. Or maybe next. Perhaps in May. Unless they don't.

Naw, the first of your cars are in-country. This is it . . . showtime!

Overature, curtain, lights. This is it, the night of nights.... :D

The Canadian LE is AUD77,300. You need to exercise your Commonwealth rights here. Send Liz an email and get this sorted.
Shut it, heelntoe! :p

Someone is going to find out and raise our prices.
Truthfully, because of the drop in the Canadian dollar since prices were announced, ours is now the cheapest 4C on the planet.
That honour used to belong to the US car, until the US dollar started to climb late last year. The US car is still the second cheapest today, based on current exchange rates.

EDIT: And "Liz' would rather you buy a Lotus. Or an Aston Martin.
Save the Midlands auto industry.
:p :p :p

Jeez. For that price, it should be a platinum plaque!
How can they even consider not including that. After all the other jerking around you went through to get these?

Yet another bone-headed decision by AR. Or perhaps they were all stolen when the cars were in Singapore, and will soon appear on some cheap Malasian knock-offs??? You know, -a Honda Civic with a body kit! :)

kali, I feel your pain. Cannot think of a worse outcome after all the years of waiting you've had to put up with.

Is there any way to import one from another country? It wouldn't be cheap either, but people have done so in other markets, including countries which will never see an Alfa dealership (saw one in Equador, for instance). If you could snag a used one so you don't pay double tax, stick it in a container and ship it, is that remotely possible?

I know it goes against every fibre of logic and justice in your body, to acquiesce to Alfa Australia's ransom, I also believe that you will never be happy having walked away from this car.

Of course, you could always hope for a used one to pop up. But the limited quantities and enforced high MSRP will support a high resale value for a long time.

Good luck with this decision, my friend!

kaliber, riddle me this…

If you hadn't seen the pricing from other markets, and knowing what you know from other owners about the 4C driving experience, would you consider this car to be worth $120K or not?

I agree with Virul and Cvh on this.
You have to see one and sit in it - If you do, and if you can swing the money without eating cat food more than three nights a week or selling all your relatives into slavery, you will buy it. And i don't believe you will regret it.

If it is just the behaviour of Alfa that is sticking in your craw, well that is partially their fault and partially your expectations to blame as well. Swallow hard and put it behind you.

My name is 4Canada, and I'm an enabler! :D

(PS: I have lots of good recipes for cat food main courses. Shall I PM you those?)

I missed the cutoff...
NOOOOOooooo!
Say it isn't so!

What do you recon that will do to your chances?

Regardless of how this plays out, I hope you see and sit in one, perhaps get a ride in one. And I also wish that you wind up with one in your driveway - sooner, rather than later.

Maybe, if enough people have balls like you, the message about pricing might just get through. But that is a lot of wishful thinking.

Whatever the outcome, kaliber, remind me to NEVER play poker against you!

Would be great if someone who already has one could maybe post a quick pic, so I can see what the finished product should look like, and where it's installed.
Cheers
See the attached images from folyedb in the post at THIS PERMALINK

Or check out the interior photos on 4c.alfaromeo.com

It's on the centre console, below the DNA switch.

Foleydb's and Meishka1's avatars show what it looks like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.