Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have issues with their top leaking? I've never had it leak when its raining, but if i take it through the automatic car wash, it comes in pretty easy. 1 side much easier than the other

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've put my top on correctly but when I'm in the car, I still manage to see a small spot of daylight so I'm sure that's where its coming from, its just bothersome.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,126 Posts
Having owned a convertible sports car....that is part of the experience....and why I have the 4C coupe instead of the spider.
On the other hand...why would you take a nice car like a 4C through a car wash :unsure: I can see a wand wash do it yourself but not the drive through with big rotating brushes.....swirl city.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
A leaking top? Beats a leaking bottom. ;) Someone had to say it. Sorry if it doesn’t solve the problem but it might bring a smile for half a second. Hopefully more Spider owners will respond.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
646 Posts
I haven't had any issues with rain, but I haven't put it through a car wash either, so...

·
Registered
293 Posts
My car does not leak, but when i air blow dry the car water can push through the channels meant to funnel the water out. Simple solution here need it say it?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Buy a dual action polisher and some scholl s20 black, it won’t stop the leak but will get rid of the scratches.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Assume you are using a no touch car wash? As has been stated those are relatively effective because they use high pressure water jets, not really good for your paint or PPF if you have it. I'm not surprised water at that pressure could breach the seals.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I take my spider to the automatic car wash and it is completely dry inside afterwards.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I run a car wash. My 4c goes through it 1-2 times per week, depending on how dirty it gets. Never had a single drop of water leak in and the paint is as good as the day I bought it. I'd put it's finish against anyone else's. High quality chemicals and equipment? You'll be good. Poorly maintained and operated using cheap crap? Yea...not so much. Touchless carwashes use strong chemicals that aren't so friendly to paint usually. Touch free isn't always damage free in the long run.
Back to your problem-where is the light coming from? Can you take a pic? Is the top under or over the carbon fiber trim around the front window? Does your window go up when the door closes? Perhaps the window needs to be reset to make it go all the way up again. IIRC someone here had that issue.

·
Registered
680 Posts
is the water coming in a window seal or from the top where the top meets the front window header? if coming in from window header above you then remember top needs to slide into the window header, not lay on top of it.. If you are sure top is correctly installed then go to dealer as top should not be leaking. For a very simple design, the top actually works extremely well in keeping the elements out and still allowing the full 160 mph top speed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 4c is my daily driver. I havent driven my truck, or my vette in months, and rode my bike only twice in the last 2 months. With that being said, I drive it every single day and treat it like anyone else would treat a normal car. I work at a welding shop with muddy/rocky driving/parking area so my car is gonna be dirty every single day. And I work and average 80 hours a week so I dont have the patience or the motivation of hand washing my car every single day, just for it to be filthy again 12 hours later. I also drive the 4C like I stole it. It will need repairs and will have cosmetic issues, just like a regular car does, because I treat it like a regular car. I didnt buy it to keep it hidden from the world or keep it perfect. I bought it because its rare ish car and have yet to see another one. I bought it for the driving experience. I bought it for the looks and stares it gets from everyone and the joy it brings me and others. With that being said.......if the car wash fucks up the paint or whatever else, thats fine, im looking to change the color in a few months anyways.

My top didnt always leak, its just a recent issue, with that being said, I took some pictures. It looks like my window trim has either shrank or moved, but I'm not able to budge it. You can see light from the outside or the inside. My windows are tinted 15% so its more difficult to see the inside light from a phone light from the outside of course, but in person you can more clearly.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know what you mean because I have the same spot of light on one window side; however, when the window is up the little gap is closed for wind or water. You would need to change the top imho to get rid of that problem

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I just bought one of those polishers.... are they safe to use on the Alfa paint?
I'm not sure, I bought mine for my wife's car which is scratched from hedgerows due to her job, and on my van, I won't use it on my 4C as I have PPF mostly.

Best to use finishing pads and polish I would think and see how it goes. Also don't get too hot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts