Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 coupe, bought new in 2019. The trunk gets wet and moldy just sitting in my driveway, so it's not from road splash in my case and I would be surprised that it's from the tail lights just from rain. From past posts there were owners finding out that water was from either the road, access portholes or the tail lights. When I open the lid there is water droplets all over the inside of the lid, over the trunk area, could it be coming in from the lid itself ? Hard to tell. Every two weeks I put on latex gloves, put a bit of chlorine in a bucket of water and rub the mold away with a towel, otherwise there is no using the trunk. Every time it's dry outside I open the back lid and leave everything opened to dry. When I do so the lid leaks for 30 minutes, in the hinges area. (drain holes ?) All the fasteners are now bare, the trunk looks like sh...

I have inquired about a warranty claim but my dealer doesn't know how to go about it for this kind of problem. Does anyone have the new replacement trunk part number ? Fastener part numbers ? Anything else needed ? (like spacers, washers, clips ...)

Thank you

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
So your trunk lid is retaining water? Well, that sucks. There must be some grommet or plug missing, or a bad seal between the layers of the lid. Is there a body shop that you know of that specializes in high end cars (McLaren, etc.)? Yeah, the dealers can be pretty clueless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before the warranty runs out I want to claim the trunk and fasteners, but my dealer is not 100% sure about which trunk he should be ordering, anyone has there's replaced under warranty ? Would you be able to supply us the actual Alfa part number ?

I will look at the possible causes after I get the new parts, I do not want to miss out on claiming.

·
Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
12,650 Posts
Before the warranty runs out I want to claim the trunk and fasteners, but my dealer is not 100% sure about which trunk he should be ordering, anyone has there's replaced under warranty ? Would you be able to supply us the actual Alfa part number ?

I will look at the possible causes after I get the new parts, I do not want to miss out on claiming.
They did replace the material from which the trunk was made to aleviate that problem. Is yours under extended warranty? If so, ask for a replacement trunk. If not, they aren’t expensive. Do a search. The answer is here in the forum. OK…. Here’s a start 👇
Trunk replacement for leaking / mold

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is still under warranty and it's exactly what I want to do, get a replacement, the problem is that the dealer has no clue which p/n to order, he has no service bulletin about leaking trunks.

Does anyone know which Alfa p/n to order so I get the new and improved ?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
12,650 Posts
My car is still under warranty and it's exactly what I want to do, get a replacement, the problem is that the dealer has no clue which p/n to order, he has no service bulletin about leaking trunks.

Does anyone know which Alfa p/n to order so I get the new and improved ?

Thank you.
I found this, but no mention of the actual tub of the trunk, unless there’s a typo. I’d say all replacement trunks are now plastic.
Font Screenshot Multimedia Electronic device Display device
Font Darkness Brand Circle Sky

·
Registered
416 Posts
How is your trunk weatherstrip seal and alignment?

When I park outside in heavy rain with my 2015 LE (with the original trunk), I haven't experienced consistent water ingress. I've had the bottom become damp from driving through heavy rain, but not from sitting.

When I do so the lid leaks for 30 minutes, in the hinges area. (drain holes ?)...
This seems sus. Have a photo of the locations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the information, should solve my trunk replacement issue. There is a gap between the lid and the weatherstrip gasket, I put a 1/4'' rope in the weatherstrip to push it up, it helped a bit. I think the gap is wide, too wide to be fixed with a piece of rope. I always suspected that water was coming in the side grills and simply trickle into the trunk. The weatherstrip gasket should stop the water but doesn't. I suspect that the upper section of the tub was not cut per specs, that it is too short.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry, but having to park a car in a garage is not a solution for a 60 000 $ + car, it shouldn't leak, period. A Corolla doesn't leak, neither should my 4C.
The most obvious snarky reply is that they don’t sell corollas for $60k. And people who buy $500k cars park them in garages. So somewhere between $20k cars and $500k cars perhaps they start to leak. Surprise! That point appears closer to the $20k side than one would expect.

I know it should not leak. I wouldn’t be happy, either. I would (will? Someday?) cover mine when parked out if only because it’s easier to get the snow and ice off. (It’s stupidly easy to get the snow off with a half cover and the ice doesn’t form so… Half cover FTW!) You shouldn’t need one. So, um. Good like with stopping the leak.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry, but having to park a car in a garage is not a solution for a 60 000 $ + car, it shouldn't leak, period. A Corolla doesn't leak, neither should my 4C.
Old Karate Kid thing, 'the best way to avoid a problem is to not be there.' Garage. While I agree totally that it shouldn't happen, I think its undeniable that it would not have happened in a garage. Now, we don't all have the luxury of garages, that is a language I understand completely. I have a C3 Corvette that must be garaged or the floor pan areas will flood with rain (old T-Tops). It's what it is. These are fabulous cars but they are by no means perfect.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The bottom line is that not all trunks on coupes leak, mine has a problem, so there must be a solution to getting it fixed, I am simply, honestly reaching out to the forum for that solution.
I doubt this is helpful to your problem, as our collective 4C's are "too new." But my F car mechanic cakes silicone on the targa top rubber strips at every service. I personally don't like the texture, but I must admit for a 1987 I am astonished on the condition of the rubber seal strips. I just throw that out as food for thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts