Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Have just had a cross-head screw puncture my rear tyre:frown2:,
Do you know if it's best to lift the car from all four jacking points at once ? i.e. on a garage ramp or is it fine just to lift one corner as with any other car ????
I don't want to do any damage obviously.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Original tires are at least less than half price compared to Trofeo R, I just got a quote for those, almost 1400 EUR for a set...

The set of AR Racing tires I have on right now was 670 EUR from a German tyre center.

Buying a new tyre for running over a screw will always feel expensive but at least OEM tires for the 4C are reasonable compared to most other sports cars.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Please see pictures for the right places to put jack:
On Rear, where Aluminum Frame come to CF
On Front, where is 2nd CF Square, (on the picture you can see 1st square on the left side of picture and jack right on the second one)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Guys,
Do you know if it's best to lift the car from all four jacking points at once ? i.e. on a garage ramp or is it fine just to lift one corner as with any other car ????
As long as the screw didn't puncture the sidewall or close to the sidewall you'll be able to just have the hole repaired. Anything near or on the sidewall means you'll need a new tire.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Hi Guys,
One corner is not an issue.

On the side of the car at the lowest point is a hard to see triangle. One is for the rear and one for the front jack points.

The rear is just before the rear tire. Look under the car for a honeycomb looking area. That is the only rear jack point.

The front is about even with the side mirror. My mechanic says you can jack anywhere up front that is carbon fiber. I have been using the square mark as it seems a bit stronger looking.

My gripe about the jack pint in the rear is there is no way to use a floor jack and then set it on a jack-stand. The front won't be an issue as you can support it most anywhere that is carbon fiber.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
That might not be the same with a Euro-spec car. If you knock on the floor there's a distinct change in tone forward of the jack point where the CF is apparently thinner. Also, our floor is all flat without the squares visible in the pics in the earlier post.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good news, the puncture was easily repairable. The tyre guy did not have a trolley jack of a shallow enough profile to locate under the car so I drove it onto a wooden plank first to allow the trolley access. After that no problems. Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Those rear lift points sure look further forward than I'm used to on other mid-engined cars. I guess they're in line with the engine, but visions of the "QBall" Elise incident come to mind:

OK, try to remember where we parked.

·
Administrator
19,027 Posts
Those rear lift points sure look further forward than I'm used to on other mid-engined cars. I guess they're in line with the engine, but visions of the "QBall" Elise incident come to mind:

Aw heck, that'll buff out!
I guess pulling the front wheels changes the weight distribution significantly, eh? ;)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
On the Elise and exige there are jack points at the front and rear of the rocker panels, but for lifting there are two different points further towards the rear. The trick is that they are both underneath panels that first have to be removed, so a shop that doesn't know better may be tempted to use the rear jack points.

In QBall's case he took it to a JiffyLube Managed by a good friend and gave them the full details on doing it right. For whatever reason they didn't, and the car was totalled. The shop was reportedly very helpful in working with their insurance to take care of him.

On the 4C it's nice that the rear panels have cutouts for the lift points, although maybe note as aerodynamic as possible. They sure seem pretty far forward, but the car felt ok on the lift. It was the lowest car I've yet to see and the lift arms wouldn't fit underneath it though.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
TTC by the ring has inch thick rubber things laying ready for their customer cars as most of them are like the 4C or lower. It's quite awesome to just look at their stock, having tires for Aventadors, McLarens and almost every car you can imagine just waiting there.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That has to be a neat sight.

The shop manual shows the procedure to be to put raise the car using the type of wheel dollies that you slip along side the tire then compress to raise the wheels. That must be their solution for dealers with standard lifts. Makes sense, as it would then be easy to position the car properly.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
That has to be a neat sight.

The shop manual shows the procedure to be to put raise the car using the type of wheel dollies that you slip along side the tire then compress to raise the wheels. That must be their solution for dealers with standard lifts. Makes sense, as it would then be easy to position the car properly.
They did indeed buy those wheel dollies to raise the car up so the lift will fit under it. When I first bought my car I asked the mechanic about their special 4C lift. He pointed and laughed. We use them sometimes where I work, so I already knew the joke. I got a good laugh too.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
They are denoted. There's a small arrow molded into the rocker panels showing where they are fore and aft. Then the front point is a square molded into the carbon tub. The rear points are exposed by an opening in the under tray, making it pretty obvious.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts