Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
221 - 240 of 252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
12,599 Posts
That’s Hornetball’s photo. I didn’t think to take some shots while it was up but it’s ultra smooth underneath.

Maybe it for better aero, or a superleggerra tub 😁
It sounds crazy that you wouldn’t have any lift points on the tub. What does your owners handbook have to say? (Sorry, I’m in and out of the forum tonight while watching the Dragons playing the Cowboys.)

·
Administrator
19,010 Posts

In that LE shot, the rear jack point also has some sort of cover over it (looks like that light felt plastic similar to the wheel well liners - or is that further forward? Not much left to reference ). So it isn’t a defective tub. Just different construction.

I’ve seen a few like this before, but don’t understand the hows or whys.

Early cars here had the doublers (squares) on the lift points. If this (flat bottom) were an evolution, then all models after a certain date would feature this underside. But I don’t think that is the case.

Leads one to believe that the answer is “because Alfa”.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Also, how much height do you lose by using ramps versus quick jack. ? due to suspension
These Race Ramps are 10" at their lowermost point.
Not sure how high the Quick Jack goes, but I'd say it's higher than that.

Do you have the arrow on the sill indicating where to jack?
Yes, the arrows are on the sills but the tub is flat front to back, no reinforced pads.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,836 Posts
i have a quick jack 3500....it goes up to around 18" as I recall. There SHOULD be the lifting plates....they are not close to the indented triangles in the sills.....the lift points are significantly inwards from those points. You should be able to reach in and feel the rectangles....maybe 12" or so in from the side of the car sills.. Note that the rear most lift point is not a pad but the metal structure of the suspension. there was some variation over the years and in some other countries. My 2015 LE has 4 of the rectangular pads....the set that is indicated by the indented triangles in the front is the one to lift with a 4 post jack or the Quick Jack...there is another one back a ways that can be used with a regular low rise jack to lift the entire side of the car. That one doesn't have an indented marker. The rear suspension structure is the rear most lift point for a 4 post jack. Note that on some cars there is only the forward set of lift pads and the rear suspension structure....the middle or second set of pads was not used.
The problem is that the indented marker leads people to think you can lift right next to it. If you do you will likely crush the rocker material. This does happen....a few people have posted photos of damage caused by a none ALFA shop or tire shop trying to lift the car there ;-(
Don't try to lift the entire back of the car with a hydraulic jack....you can damage the suspension. There is a solution called a Lift Kit from one of our vendors. It is a couple of pieces of thicker plastic that fills the space and gives extra support so you won't damage anything. I have one but never got around to installing it since I have the Quick Jack and find that a better solution.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I’ve been a forum member for longer than most. But I must admit, I don’t understand the pencil joke. I clearly missed that one.

Please explain....
Does anyone have the pic? The pic explains everything (I don't want to explain because I could be wrong but I remember a pic that spawned the joke). Bottom line there was a member that had a pencil sized lump in his CF tub. The pic was amazing.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Does anyone have the pic? The pic explains everything (I don't want to explain because I could be wrong but I remember a pic that spawned the joke). Bottom line there was a member that had a pencil sized lump in his CF tub. The pic was amazing.
I can't find the pencil one but someone found a spanner (imprint) in their tub !

·
Administrator
19,010 Posts
The "Mario pencil" thing (as it relates to the 4C and this board) was a comment from The Real Cvh back when we were all anxiously awaiting the first cars to be exported beyond Europe (or even any news about those cars).

Back in late 2014, and even into 2015, when nobody at Alfa could or would communicate about the status or timing of cars (kind of like the Tributo now). Clint pondered as to whether the cars were all parked outside while the guys at the factory went over them one by one, looking for Mario's lost pencil. Then perhaps they couldn't tell HQ when the cars would ship for want of a pencil to write it down. That morphed into some cars having weird options because Mario couldn't keep track without his pencil. And more than one member changing their avatar to include a pencil. Etc. etc. Ad nauseum.

Still makes me chuckle, though. ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
That morphed into some cars having weird options because Mario couldn't keep track without his pencil. And more than one member changing their avatar to include a pencil. Etc. etc. Ad nauseum.

Still makes me chuckle, though. ;)
Thanks for the clarification.
My car definitely has some weirdness.
I am convinced that my “superleggera” LE has no hatch trim piece, just the stickers for extra lightness. Like the absence of jack pads.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4C SE, Giulietta Vel, 147, Sud, Guzzi 1100 Sport, Guzzi Le Mans MkV
12,599 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
My car definitely has some weirdness.
I am convinced that my “superleggera” LE has no hatch trim piece, just the stickers for extra lightness. Like the absence of jack pads.
You’re right. I wonder what we can throw overboard to lighten things up? Keep looking, Knievil, there’s probably a few other unnecessary bits they left off your Superleggera...(Hoping not, actually)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
221 - 240 of 252 Posts