Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m surprised 4Cs don’t have locking wheel bolts as standard. I appreciate the fact that a determined thief will find a way round removing wheels ( I’ve helped remove locking bolts when friends have lost the removal device).
I tried to buy McGard’s product but retailers couldn’t oblige as 4Cs aren’t listed. An email to Germany’s McGard produced a reference but when the bolts arrived they were incorrect.
I’m awaiting a response from McGard.
Has anyone managed to acquire the correct part number?

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I’m surprised 4Cs don’t have locking wheel bolts as standard. I appreciate the fact that a determined thief will find a way round removing wheels ( I’ve helped remove locking bolts when friends have lost the removal device).
I tried to buy McGard’s product but retailers couldn’t oblige as 4Cs aren’t listed. An email to Germany’s McGard produced a reference but when the bolts arrived they were incorrect.

Another option:

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2016 Spider has them, I thought they were standard. I did get the optional 18" & 19" perhaps they are standard on them, otherwise no mention in window sticker.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,053 Posts
I suspect that due to the low number of 4Cs there isn't a black market for used
4C wheels 🙄 Doubt if they would fit any other brand/model of cars either.

·
Super Moderator
14,690 Posts
I suspect that due to the low number of 4Cs there isn't a black market for used
4C wheels 🙄 Doubt if they would fit any other brand/model of cars either.
I would have thought so too, but when I was shopping for used 4C’s I was surprised to find out how many had insurance claims for wheel theft!

Finding your wheels gone would be bad enough, but you can be certain that no thief is going to have researched or followed the correct lifting procedure, so there is a worry that there is tub damage.

That said, neither of my cars (2015 LE and 2016 coupe) came with them or have been retrofitted with them.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,053 Posts
I am always suspect of wheel theft claims on cars like ours....not doubting honesty of owners....but wonder how many were stolen vs. cracked from pot holes or bad curb rash replacements 🤨

·
Registered
31 Posts
What are lock nuts ? I have no garage, my 4C is in the driveway, 5 meters from the street with NO locking device whatsoever, last time I looked all the wheel were on the car. Where do you guys live ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are lock nuts ? I have no garage, my 4C is in the driveway, 5 meters from the street with NO locking device whatsoever, last time I looked all the wheel were on the car. Where do you guys live ?
As the person who started this topic on locking wheel bolts/nuts, firstly many thanks for advice on where to buy Alfa approved ones and secondly my reason for wanting them.
My 4C is usually garaged or parked in a private courtyard but it’s when I’m parked for a few hours at a cinema I worry about security- hence my concern and surprise that 4Cs don’t come already fitted with locking bolts/nuts.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
As the person who started this topic on locking wheel bolts/nuts, firstly many thanks for advice on where to buy Alfa approved ones and secondly my reason for wanting them.
My 4C is usually garaged or parked in a private courtyard but it’s when I’m parked for a few hours at a cinema I worry about security- hence my concern and surprise that 4Cs don’t come already fitted with locking bolts/nuts.
In the end, wheel locks are really just a deterrent. A pro can pretty much defeat any of them.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV Black on White + 1981 Delorean DMC12 6MT Grey Interior
266 Posts
OP @David T-H ,
The metric PCD'd 4c unfortunately doesn't share with any other car 5x98 does match a handful of FCA/PSA/Citroen cars, none of which are popular, but the 58.1mm centerbore will make them pop off under real cornering any other car as that is unique to 4c (it cannot seat well). This alone has wheel thieves pass our cars even if we have no wheel locks...
But its all about where you live. Some people cure disease and discover solutions, but most are f#$&tards that just ruin things for everyone else. I second the Farads, but nothing beats a custom piece if you have a machinist shop nearby, as you only need 4 and two keys, and an experienced lathe will whip them up in less than a day for about the same price. Still, with a can of nitro, a chromoly spike, and a demo hammer, I'll help myself to all your wheels in less than five minutes. If you want real peace of mind, have no wheel locks and instead invest in dash cams that run when parked and make it easier for the wannabe, amateur thieves (since they will have to dump the unsellable wheels) to find time to properly cinderblock the chassis.
But, if your area really is bad, consider hiring a badass PMC, killing all the local drug suppliers and their retainers, replace them wholesale, sell to everyone in person, install LED lights on the inside of the car when driving (so everyone SEES you), and you might find fiends actually cleaning your car for favors, as well as a clear radii of thugs since no one wants to be tortured for days, have nothing to eat but their parents and children, and watch each of their tendons snap back with a rusty exacto before they die.
Moral is, if an over the counter lock set will make you feel better, then bam, done. Guarantees don't exist.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In the end, wheel locks are really just a deterrent. A pro can pretty much defeat any of them.
Exactly. If a thief is really determined, they will do what they can.

Just do what I do...
ANNOY them with eBay lug caps. (Much like my text formatting here) ;)

No socket will fit on them, so they will have to use tweezers to pull each of them off... revealing a locking bolt. :ROFLMAO:

If the thief can get through all 20 caps and 4 locking bolts by sunrise without tripping the tilt alarm, he can have the wheels. :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the lug caps, but not to prevent theft.

I just think the caps look much "cleaner" than the rather homely looking unfinished bolts that Alfa uses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts