Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Was Akra an option that was offered only in later cars after 2016? I dont seem to come across that option much.....sigh...sounds really tempting especially it's difficult to do. I would imagine it's kinda like the porsche's PSE which many liked as the best balance
Akra was available on 2017-2020 models. There are a total of 454 Akra 4Cs in North America (213 Coupes and 241 Spiders).

I personally wouldn’t buy one without it. It completely changes the tone of the exhaust in a way I haven’t heard on any aftermarket system.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Akra was available on 2017-2020 models. There are a total of 454 Akra 4Cs in North America (213 Coupes and 241 Spiders).

I personally wouldn’t buy one without it. It completely changes the tone of the exhaust in a way I haven’t heard on any aftermarket system.
This must be a US preference - I would have never taken the AKRA because IMHO it ruins the look of the cars butt. And also in Europe the AKRA was not an favorite option AFAIK from meetings and talks with other European owners. So it is sound versus looks for any newbie. Love the race exhaust sound on my two 4C btw :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've heard the Akra personally at full tilt during a group drive. It sounds great at full tilt.

My car had the centerline Stradale installed when I got it. It's a very classy smoothed out tone. I thought I was happy with it until I followed another local pal with a the stock sport exhaust. THAT rowdy sound I loved. So I ended paying to swap to a Corsa centerline Nero, of which I am very happy with.

I don't really envy the Akra for 2 main reasons:

1. with my tuned up setup, the lower diameter 2.25" piping forced by the Akra exhaust is a step backwards. My centerline is at 2.5". The above is based on statements I've read on this forum about the Akra. If you won't seek more exhaust flow than stock, this doesn't matter.

2. Also based on reports of this forum, the valving is potentially subject to getting stuck. I heard some got a warranty replacement. That's great. Once Alfa is gone, good luck. To me, that's just a bunch of hassle and eventual heartache I'd rather not deal with due to a complicated setup. I don't know the reasoning behind the failure, but maybe it's just a drawback of valved exhausts since they all deal with the same carbon buildup and can be hurt by water vapor mixture in the exhaust flow.

I hope to hear of folks that run tons of miles without issue though. Doesn't help me, but would reduce the stigma regarding my reason #2.

Just offering an alternative perspective to round out your expectations about the well regarded Akra. Drone can be bad on these cars, but I personally only hated it on my former centerline Stradale. This Corsa Nero doesn't perform the same or worse and is very enjoyable. Maybe it's the lack of muffler or the ceramic coating treatment at play, I don't know. Definitely the stock muffled exhaust is the most uninspiring of the offerings, down right quiet in the worst way to me. That rounds out my personal experience with exhausts on this car.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just an opinion, but as someone posted .... buy what YOU want. Don't skimp on options. Life is too short to save a few dollars here and there. When I was looking to buy. I wanted a new 4C with EVERY option. The Akra was a must have for myself for the look, sound and ability to have 2 sound settings. The carbon fiber roof is amazing (in the coupes). You said your wife may daily the car some. Well ... if she's like my wife .... she wants a NICE, upgraded interior. Leather. Stitching. Carbon fiber everywhere. Get the right color seats. I was set on red. The premium stereo isn't much to be desired, but the woofer adds a little more bass.

Options will always add more to the value of the car. Specific options makes those cars more rare.

Good luck finding the right 4C. Always consult this forum on possible cars. Plenty of members here with REAL knowledge on these cars.

Reactions: Alfanut and kiryu

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Just an opinion, but as someone posted .... buy what YOU want. Don't skimp on options. Life is too short to save a few dollars here and there. When I was looking to buy. I wanted a new 4C with EVERY option. The Akra was a must have for myself for the look, sound and ability to have 2 sound settings. The carbon fiber roof is amazing (in the coupes). You said your wife may daily the car some. Well ... if she's like my wife .... she wants a NICE, upgraded interior. Leather. Stitching. Carbon fiber everywhere. Get the right color seats. I was set on red. The premium stereo isn't much to be desired, but the woofer adds a little more bass.

Options will always add more to the value of the car. Specific options makes those cars more rare.

Good luck finding the right 4C. Always consult this forum on possible cars. Plenty of members here with REAL knowledge on these cars.
Agreed on all fronts. Decide what you want and be patient. I know several people that buy nice 4Cs but still pine for their dream spec (which is likely very rare) so they are fully prepared to jump on the dream car when it becomes available and sell the current one, etc.

One quick thought on the upgraded stereo. I have had 3 cars with it and 4 without it - so lots of experience.

1) the upgraded Alpine stereo is much better. It's very noticeable side by side. It adds an amp in addition to the little sub and really is better. I got used to it for a bit and when I got a car without it, which I actually wanted because I wanted the storage cubby, I realized how much better it is. The 'regular' alpine is seriously a terrible car stereo set up.
2) As I just alluded to, the premium alpine system places a small sub where the main storage compartment in the car is, so it's a tradeoff. You can live without the storage cubby but it's nice to have.
3) Despite all the above, the upgraded alpine system is still not a very good stereo - if stereo matters to you some cheap upgrades to head unit/speakers/maybe small amp, will yield something dramatically better than both options...

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
The Akra exhaust was a must have option for me. I am not sure why some people have a sticking issue, it could be due to fuel and carbon, aftermarket ECU or a number of other issues. It does sound absolutely amazing at higher RPMs in Dynamic or Race mode...

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
The Akra exhaust was a must have option for me. I am not sure why some people have a sticking issue, it could be due to fuel and carbon, aftermarket ECU or a number of other issues. It does sound absolutely amazing at higher RPMs in Dynamic or Race mode...
It's 2 known cases on the forum. Both were easily resolved (one the dealer replaced valve under warranty and the other the user replaced it with a standard vacuum valve off amazon) - it isn't anything to be concerned about IMHO.

The other false akra narrative is that it is somehow more restrictive and the car is slower - also not true. This was something started by someone in the exhaust selling business. I did 10hz GPS runs in both my 2015 LE with race exhaust and 17 Coupe with Akra back in 2017 and the Akra car was materially faster over a 10 run average 60-100 pull.

It is true that if you are going to mod heavily the Akra could become restrictive. I would think that is well beyond basic mods though. You probably need to be talking 400+ HP build before it really becomes an issue.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Welcome @kiryu !

As you can see from the many responses, everyone has their own idea of what's important to them (or was important) when shopping for their 4C. I would highly recommend making a list of what's important and then ordering them in importance. This will assist as you begin shopping.

For me, when I was shopping, my list started with body style (i.e. coupe or spider). The next highest item was exterior color. Sure, you can wrap cars today but there will always be areas that don't get wrapped and that bugs me (doesn't bother other folks, and that's fine). After that, I was willing to take just about anything. Suspension, that can be upgraded/changed fairly easily. Exhaust, as you can see from the previous posts, very subjective... Headlights are probably the one area where it's not easy upgrade (depending on what you call upgrade in this space) if you don't have the bi-xenon option.

Take time to figure out what is important for you. Make a list. When you see a car that is up for sale, compare it to your list and see how close it comes. Just keep in mind that there are a limited number of available cars. Sometimes getting something "close enough" where you can start enjoying it right away is better than waiting months/years for some of the other unicorns.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Agreed on all fronts. Decide what you want and be patient. I know several people that buy nice 4Cs but still pine for their dream spec (which is likely very rare) so they are fully prepared to jump on the dream car when it becomes available and sell the current one, etc.

One quick thought on the upgraded stereo. I have had 3 cars with it and 4 without it - so lots of experience.

1) the upgraded Alpine stereo is much better. It's very noticeable side by side. It adds an amp in addition to the little sub and really is better. I got used to it for a bit and when I got a car without it, which I actually wanted because I wanted the storage cubby, I realized how much better it is. The 'regular' alpine is seriously a terrible car stereo set up.
2) As I just alluded to, the premium alpine system places a small sub where the main storage compartment in the car is, so it's a tradeoff. You can live without the storage cubby but it's nice to have.
3) Despite all the above, the upgraded alpine system is still not a very good stereo - if stereo matters to you some cheap upgrades to head unit/speakers/maybe small amp, will yield something dramatically better than both options...
Good to know! I didnt expect much out of the stereo (esp if it's in a 90s head unit), in fact a lot of sports cars have absolute crap stereo so the exhaust probably sounds more important lol. But now i know an upgraded alpine is a "nice to have". Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 4C Coupe
218 Posts
I some basic work done last year at Alfa Glendale. They had a 4C tech at the time and were way way cheaper than the quote I received from Russell Westbrook Alfa in Van Nuys. My experience with them was pretty smooth! But another guy on here just had his belt done at Russell Westbrook Alfa in the past couple months and he went on a mad search reaching out to everyone possible. I need to do my belt this year so I'll probably end up calling both dealers. Haven't heard of much anything else. There are a bunch of 4Cs here in LA so you would think there would be more info about service matters here but seems like there are only a handful of the LA owners contributing to the forum

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I know several people that buy nice 4Cs but still pine for their dream spec (which is likely very rare) so they are fully prepared to jump on the dream car when it becomes available and sell the current one, etc.
That's amazing to see. It kinda reminds me of the murcielago lp640 market, whereby the samples are so scarce folks buy and sell 3-4 cars over many years before they end up with their dream spec. But that thing is 14-20 years old! 4C must be really special for folks to be doing this so early on...

·
Registered
Ali Giallo Prototipo w/ red seats
260 Posts
Welcome @kiryu !

As you can see from the many responses, everyone has their own idea of what's important to them (or was important) when shopping for their 4C. I would highly recommend making a list of what's important and then ordering them in importance. This will assist as you begin shopping.

For me, when I was shopping, my list started with body style (i.e. coupe or spider). The next highest item was exterior color. Sure, you can wrap cars today but there will always be areas that don't get wrapped and that bugs me (doesn't bother other folks, and that's fine). After that, I was willing to take just about anything. Suspension, that can be upgraded/changed fairly easily. Exhaust, as you can see from the previous posts, very subjective... Headlights are probably the one area where it's not easy upgrade (depending on what you call upgrade in this space) if you don't have the bi-xenon option.

Take time to figure out what is important for you. Make a list. When you see a car that is up for sale, compare it to your list and see how close it comes. Just keep in mind that there are a limited number of available cars. Sometimes getting something "close enough" where you can start enjoying it right away is better than waiting months/years for some of the other unicorns.

Happy shopping!
I agree 100% .... started out w/ all kinds of spec expectations and now it's boiled down to body type. One color is desired but I'll even go Black as the 'universal wrap color'....... Anything of the other boxes to check is just a bonus

Reactions: Mahjik

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
That's amazing to see. It kinda reminds me of the murcielago lp640 market, whereby the samples are so scarce folks buy and sell 3-4 cars over many years before they end up with their dream spec. But that thing is 14-20 years old! 4C must be really special for folks to be doing this so early on...
I've had 7 of them (3 current) :censored:

I will acknowledge I am likely one of, if not the, worst but there are others who are similarly afflicted.

Another interesting dynamic. I personally know ~15 people who have more than 1 4C - I used to even keep a list, lol. It's a car some people really love 🤣

·
Registered
2015 4C Coupe
218 Posts
The most recent info about LA dealer servicing is probably in this thread:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Definitely search out the car with the color and options you prefer. I really wanted a Rosso Competizione with teledial wheels. I did not really care about anything else, but ended up with a fairly high spec 2016 spider when I purchased. I have the factory race exhaust, and I love it. It can drone, but really sounds good to me on acceleration (which is most of the time). No mechanical parts to worry about, and I think over time the look of the concentric exhaust tips will come into favor. I bought a spare just in case the unit gets cracks. For $250 I figured it was worth the money.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had 7 of them (3 current) :censored:

I will acknowledge I am likely one of, if not the, worst but there are others who are similarly afflicted.

Another interesting dynamic. I personally know ~15 people who have more than 1 4C - I used to even keep a list, lol. It's a car some people really love 🤣
Please put me on that list. :ROFLMAO:

When I was looking for one back in 2017, I looked at every single 2017 4C in the country. My must-haves were coupe, black exterior, red or tobacco interior, and carbon roof + akra + carbon interior + full leather dashboard. And everything else was nice-to-have. I waited and waited until I found exactly what I was looking for locally.

Over the years, I also fell in love with Launch Edition 4Cs in Alfa red. There was something iconic about it. So, when I came across one, I jumped on it. It was impulsive.

I did not want the Spider. I found the side profile of the coupe to be much more fluid and timeless. I felt that the roofline of the Spider made the car look much more compressed.

I love the Akra exhaust on my '17. I love the look and the sound. But I also love the race exhaust on the LE. They are just different. The Akra is more refined - smooth bass & baritone. The race exhaust is more like rock and rolle.

I love the carbon roof on my '17 and to me, that's my favorite option.

I also think that the OEM carbon interior looks better than the aftermarket ones. Its fit / finish is superb - high quality, doesn't look plastic-y.

Also, strangely, two cars have smell differently inside. They both still have the new car smell, but it's different. Even my wife notices it. I don't know what it is. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Please put me on that list. :ROFLMAO:

When I was looking for one back in 2017, I looked at every single 2017 4C in the country. My must-haves were coupe, black exterior, red or tobacco interior, and carbon roof + akra + carbon interior + full leather dashboard. And everything else was nice-to-have. I waited and waited until I found exactly what I was looking for locally.

Over the years, I also fell in love with Launch Edition 4Cs in Alfa red. There was something iconic about it. So, when I came across one, I jumped on it. It was impulsive.

I did not want the Spider. I found the side profile of the coupe to be much more fluid and timeless. I felt that the roofline of the Spider made the car look much more compressed.

I love the Akra exhaust on my '17. I love the look and the sound. But I also love the race exhaust on the LE. They are just different. The Akra is more refined - smooth bass & baritone. The race exhaust is more like rock and rolle.

I love the carbon roof on my '17 and to me, that's my favorite option.

I also think that the OEM carbon interior looks better than the aftermarket ones. Its fit / finish is superb - high quality, doesn't look plastic-y.

Also, strangely, two cars have smell differently inside. They both still have the new car smell, but it's different. Even my wife notices it. I don't know what it is. :unsure:
All 4Cs should have a sweet smell inside from the resins and other materials associated with the carbon fiber tub. Like a fiberglass boat, it'll linger seemingly forever, but each has its own pungency and intensity.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts