Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello 4C forum,

I have been a long time Alfa owner (since 1988), that included a couple of GTV-6’s, a Milano Verde, and currently a GTV 2000. Also have a few other interesting cars from various countries. I have been following the 4C since it’s introduction, but the cost for a new one was much higher than I could spend on a car just used for fun. Seeing how the used ones cost much less nowadays, I have been contemplating buying one, but was hoping to see how well I fit in one ( I am a bit over 6’ tall).

I was actually at the factory museum this past summer, but the showroom model they had in their new model sales floor was locked. The museum was closing, so there was no time to ask for help. Just the other week there was a 2016 Spider here in Baltimore that was listed on the used car inventory of the Alfa dealership. I called to see about stopping by, but it was still going through the prep process. The next day they sold it to used car dealer out of state, so I missed my chance again.

I wondered if there was anyone in the Baltimore area that had 4C and would be willing to let me sit in it to confirm that driving comfort won’t be a problem if I pursue purchasing a used one from out-of-state.

Jim

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I’m 6’1” and I fit just fine. But the seat has to be set to its lowest setting, which involves repositioning bolts. So when you do find a car, first check that it is set to its lowest, or you’ll get a false impression.

·
Super Moderator
13,176 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Bumping your thread for attention, as I’m sure one of our east coast members can help you out.

Are there still cars & coffee events in Baltimore, or have those ended for the season? Guessing those would be your best chance to hook up with other Alfisti.

Do no local dealerships have any at the moment? Then you could test drive one rather than just sit in it. It’s like shoes. Fitting a pair is only half the story. You have to take a few steps.

Check that you can see the tachometer (wheel tilts, but not enough for some). Driver height isn’t as much an issue as whether you have a long-ish torso as opposed to very long legs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the replies so far. Didn't realize the seat lowers via a tool related procedure, so that was good to know (I see now this item is briefly mentioned in the Owner's Manual). As far as any new ones on the lots, it seems very few dealers are stocking these anymore. I think they are only getting new ones when a customer orders one.

All of the various downsides I have read in reviews are no big deal to me. Having multiple vintage sport cars already, noise, un-powered steering, and poor sight lines to instruments are par for the course. I chuckle when people complain about the lack of conveniences. I am surprised Alfa put power windows and AC in these things, along with a leather covered dashtop. This is almost luxury when compared to a European sports car from the 60's/70's. To give some perspective, I find the MGB and Porsche 914 very comfortable to drive. When I test drove an older Alfa Spider (a 80's model) I found it very uncomfortable, which surprised me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In Europe and possibly other markets A/C was an option. Those markets also have a fixed passenger seat while we got a slider. The leather dash came with the leather door cards, they could spec'd here without both but such cars are rare - I've only seen one and the plastics look pretty cheap.

Power windows are a necessity because they auto lower slightly when the door is opened and then rise again when the door is closed.

I think you'll fit fine and love the car!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jim, You might not have to travel far... I think we have a few forum members in MD who were offering their cars for sale, and a few weekends ago I saw a 4C listed at the Tysons Corner Alfa dealer out for a test drive! Not an endorsement for the dealer/listing, but thought you should know. I drove by that dealer this afternoon and the 4C is still sitting outside...

Shoot me a PM if you want to drive down to NoVA - unfortunately my 4C will be on a lift getting prepped for final events of the season so I can't meet in the middle this weekend (and will be away for the next few!)

·
Super Moderator
3,215 Posts
I am 6' and if you put the back of the seat in the lowest of the three holes and the front of the seat in the middle position, it will fit you and even a bit taller person no problem. The seat adjustment also lets you see the entire dash display whereas in the lowest position front and rear I found the very top of the display to be cut off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback and offers. Good to know others that are similar height fit well. I live in northern Baltimore County, close to PA line, so a trip down to VA would be tough to swing as my weekends are pretty full with husband and dad duties (especially with holiday season upon us). If I was definitely purchasing one in near future, it would make sense, but am still figuring how I could swing the purchase if I wanted to go forward (may need to sell something else in the collection). Really looking for a Spider with low miles (I know very few have more than 15k miles on them).

Best deal I have seen so far was a guy in Oklahoma selling one on BAT that had less than 4K miles on it. It sold for just over $41k. That was the one that got me thinking I may be able to afford one of these awesome automotive toy rockets.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback and offers. Good to know others that are similar height fit well. I live in northern Baltimore County, close to PA line, so a trip down to VA would be tough to swing as my weekends are pretty full with husband and dad duties (especially with holiday season upon us). If I was definitely purchasing one in near future, it would make sense, but am still figuring how I could swing the purchase if I wanted to go forward (may need to sell something else in the collection). Really looking for a Spider with low miles (I know very few have more than 15k miles on them).

Best deal I have seen so far was a guy in Oklahoma selling one on BAT that had less than 4K miles on it. It sold for just over $41k. That was the one that got me thinking I may be able to afford one of these awesome automotive toy rockets.
The AR/Maserati dealership in Chadds Ford shows one in stock. It shows as new on the Alfa site, but they are listing it as used (33 miles on the odometer).

https://www.maseratiofwilmingtonpike.com/used/Alfa+Romeo/2019-Alfa+Romeo-4C-724482820a0e0adf53396c749934f6cb.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just went through the same thing last month, I loved the car, but at least wanted to sit in one before driving the 4 hrs to go look at the one I wanted. I didn't have any luck and just pulled the trigger and went to Dallas to get it. I'm about 6'3" and 235lbs and it's acceptable. While comfort and expectations are definitely subjective, if you're even considering a car like this, you should have a good idea of what to expect. After hearing all the complaints on the reviews I saw, I was pleasantly surprised when I got in it. There is a good amount of legroom in the car (I keep it 2 notches forward, haven't had a chance to pull the seats to get a little more recline. Getting in and out is the hardest part and the spider is much easier as I can just kind of step in and slide down into it.

So yes the car is noisy, loud, bumpy and a little obnoxious......and yes, I love it and have 0 regrets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts