Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at a 2017 4C that looks good on everything (from what I've researched and seen here) but has been in a minor sideswiped collision damaging the rear, side, and front panel. The price is relatively good but not sure how it will be if I decide to sell the car in the future since it has been in an accident. I am one of the younger guys here so it would be awesome if I could get some input on this and also anything else that I should be looking out for.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you talking about the grey couple over in Safety Harbor? I test drove that one last weekend haha If you haven't had a chance to check it out in person, it's in pretty great condition with a small scuff on the lower front bumper and some curb rash on 2 of the wheels. Yeah the collision was the main thing that concerned me. The dealer told me that all the previous owner told him was that his girlfriend side swiped something leading to replacing the mirror and some repainting. It's priced very well for the options and condition its in I think but that accident was nagging at me. I was going to try to set up a deal conditional on having it inspected for any damage to the tub, per advise on this forum, but I recently had a job interview that will allow me to bump my 4C budget by a lot so holding off until that is sorted. If you're really interested in the car, I would try to set up a similar deal. Dealer seems to be pretty reasonable so might be doable. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
512 Posts
The general market for previously crashed cars is pretty pessimistic, but in my opinion an individual car can be helped a lot by having pictures of the car in the damaged condition so people understand what was repaired. If it is just cosmetic, I don't see it as a big deal, but the car will trade lower than cars without the repair history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about the grey couple over in Safety Harbor? I test drove that one last weekend haha If you haven't had a chance to check it out in person, it's in pretty great condition with a small scuff on the lower front bumper and some curb rash on 2 of the wheels. Yeah the collision was the main thing that concerned me. The dealer told me that all the previous owner told him was that his girlfriend side swiped something leading to replacing the mirror and some repainting. It's priced very well for the options and condition its in I think but that accident was nagging at me. I was going to try to set up a deal conditional on having it inspected for any damage to the tub, per advise on this forum, but I recently had a job interview that will allow me to bump my 4C budget by a lot so holding off until that is sorted. If you're really interested in the car, I would try to set up a similar deal. Dealer seems to be pretty reasonable so might be doable. Good luck on your search!
Yea, you are one step ahead of me. I am thinking of waiting a little longer to avoid the possible hassles that I might deal with if I decide to sell the car in the future. I know you are in the market yourself, but have you seen any other good deals at around $40k that you passed on?

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
I think this is excellent advice and information.
And B-T is correct - the market price for that car will forever carry the stigma of the crash on the report. Not knowing what the actual damage was, or what techniques were used in the repair do create a cause for concern. That may play in your benefit now, but will come full circle if you ever have to sell the car.

You may have no intention of selling the car, but given that you say you are young, plans may change. Life has a habit of doing that. My father used to say "the profit is in the purchase", and I will pass his wisdom on to you. There is no telling what the eventual price may be when you sell, and there is nothing that you can do about that now anyway. So make your best deal now if you do buy, and get as much documentation / inspection as possible to be comfortable with the transaction. This is your only chance to do so.

These cars are pretty robust, so for a minor side-swipe to cause real structural (tub) damage would be unlikely. More likely is that the vendor is lying to you about the severity of the damage, though, so caveat emptor! Other damage is easily repaired (aluminum sub frames and panel brackets) and can typically be inspected by noting body panel gap and 4 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just spoke with the dealer and he is firm on the price at $44,995 for a 2017, interior carbon, track 1, and 22c convenience pkg with 12,475 miles. He doesn't have any documentation from the accident, bolt tightening service, maintenance, and the service done on the car which makes me more worried that the car was just not taken care of properly. He is also not letting me take it to an independent mechanic, only one down the street from his shop. He also mentioned that "a rich guy randomly bought this for his girlfriend" which I'm gonna call BS on because no "stupid rich guy" (quoting the dealer) randomly buys a used Alfa Romeo 4c for their girlfriend.
Overall the car has been in an accident, no documentations, and a dealer I can't trust. Even though I am pretty sure the tub hasn't been damaged, I don't know how comfortable I feel about it as a whole.

·
Registered
2018 4c and Stelvio
128 Posts
I just spoke with the dealer and he is firm on the price at $44,995 for a 2017, interior carbon, track 1, and 22c convenience pkg with 12,475 miles. He doesn't have any documentation from the accident, bolt tightening service, maintenance, and the service done on the car which makes me more worried that the car was just not taken care of properly. He is also not letting me take it to an independent mechanic, only one down the street from his shop. He also mentioned that "a rich guy randomly bought this for his girlfriend" which I'm gonna call BS on because no "stupid rich guy" (quoting the dealer) randomly buys a used Alfa Romeo 4c for their girlfriend.
Overall the car has been in an accident, no documentations, and a dealer I can't trust. Even though I am pretty sure the tub hasn't been damaged, I don't know how comfortable I feel about it as a whole.
Hard pass. You'll find something else

·
Registered
109 Posts
Run away, unless you are buying this as a track toy that you expect to tear into.

I would not want to worry about these things that may mar your experience for this piece of art!

I know a few of our members around the US have cars for sale... hope one is in your region

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Run away, unless you are buying this as a track toy that you expect to tear into.

I would not want to worry about these things that may mar your experience for this piece of art!

I know a few of our members around the US have cars for sale... hope one is in your region
Thanks
Yup, that's what I'm looking into now.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
He will be sitting on this for a long time.
I would look elsewhere, but be sure he has your contact info for when he's come to his senses.
The only way to win on that one is to play the long game and eventually he will drop his price to cut his losses.
If someone else bites in the mean time, then it just wasn't meant to be.
Ditto, if you find your deal elsewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Somewhat surprised he right out refused to let you take it to an independent shop. Seemed to be fairly reasonable when I spoke with him. Never brought it up with him myself cause I'm in the process of interviewing for a new job. Not sure if you're local but haven't come across anything around 40k recently. I've reached out to some members on here that are out of state and their vehicles range from 39k-45k. So definitely take a look at the recent posts in the classifieds, they've all been really responsive and provided pics/records

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a car for sale, feel free to PM. I'll eventually get to making a worthy FS post on here but currently on Cargurus and Autotrader out of Houston, TX. Good luck on search, and yeah hard pass on that car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts