Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Loose red wire near battery

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  milanoman 
#1 ·
Finally took a picture of the loose red wire I spotted in the engine bay, just below the battery. The lug on the end of the wire is not connected to anything as shown in the picture. I've been wondering for a while if anyone knows what this wire is for, I couldn't find anything on the forum. Thanks.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Carbon

See less See more
#2 ·
The other end looks like it's connected to the bracket. So, I'm thinking after market something was added, then removed but they missed that. If it is connected to the bracket then it was used as a ground source. You should be able to remove it and toss!

BTW, your trans oil reservoir cap looks pretty beat!

#6 ·
Thanks guys! Very helpful. Original owner already had a battery maintainer, which he kept, of course, except for that wire evidently. Knowing all this, now I can pull the wire without having to wonder about it!

The wire's red color did have me puzzled, if intended to go to a local ground as seems to be the case, since the convention is black for ground and red for hot/positive.

Yeah, the trans tank's cap looks funky. Seems it attracted a bunch of dirt for some reason. Could be a breather hole there that I need to watch out for when cleaning it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.