Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Code:
Not many items in the suspension.
That can be a binding joint, or a shock.
I agree. That's what's so annoying. The dealer keeps trying these little TSB fixes like additional rivets on the anti roll bar mount, fresh epoxy and bolts somewhere else. Just replace the parts and let me enjoy the car! /rant

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check the lower wishbone ball joints for any vertical play. Our car in for service at the moment and has had both the front lower wishbones replaced under warranty due to this. She was making a similar noise to the one in the sound clip.

I apologise to you all because we have had this problem before and I should have highlighted it. On our 4C the lower ball joints are wearing much quicker than they should be. There is no play if you shake the wheel side to side it is only when you lift the wheel that you can feel the play.

The problem has been raised with Alfa and they are blaming the roads. Not completely convinced; she is used every day and driven hard but always with a mind to mechanical sympathy. We plan to keep her forever and so do our best to keep her away from potholes and evil drain covers. If I lived one county over in Herefordshire than I would probably agree with Alfa but the roads in Mid Wales are much better maintained. At the moment though we are expecting to replace them again next year.

I miss my 4C and hope she is home soon.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Check the lower wishbone ball joints for any vertical play. Our car in for service at the moment and has had both the front lower wishbones replaced under warranty due to this. She was making a similar noise to the one in the sound clip.

I apologise to you all because we have had this problem before and I should have highlighted it. On our 4C the lower ball joints are wearing much quicker than they should be. There is no play if you shake the wheel side to side it is only when you lift the wheel that you can feel the play.

The problem has been raised with Alfa and they are blaming the roads. Not completely convinced; she is used every day and driven hard but always with a mind to mechanical sympathy. We plan to keep her forever and so do our best to keep her away from potholes and evil drain covers. If I lived one county over in Herefordshire than I would probably agree with Alfa but the roads in Mid Wales are much better maintained. At the moment though we are expecting to replace them again next year.

I miss my 4C and hope she is home soon.
Than you, Christian. They had me come pick it up when the service folks had already left for the weekend, so when I took it back they weren't there.

I plan to call first thing Monday and talk to them about that the plan is. I also feel like I should let them know that I opened the case with Alfa USA.

This is helpful though as another item to bring up. I really hope that they will get serious about it and, whatever the next attempt to fix the issue is, actually solves the problem. I feel pretty confident at this point that it isn't some minor new rivet or bolt, as they have been trying to date. It's time to replace some components, as you seem to be suggesting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Than you, Christian. They had me come pick it up when the service folks had already left for the weekend, so when I took it back they weren't there.

I plan to call first thing Monday and talk to them about that the plan is. I also feel like I should let them know that I opened the case with Alfa USA.

This is helpful though as another item to bring up. I really hope that they will get serious about it and, whatever the next attempt to fix the issue is, actually solves the problem. I feel pretty confident at this point that it isn't some minor new rivet or bolt, as they have been trying to date. It's time to replace some components, as you seem to be suggesting.
No worries John, hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Been getting daily updates but today's was actually positive. After extensive tinkering, the tech thinks it's the strut. They've ordered me a new strut and I should hopefully have the car back Friday (provided that actually fixes it).

I am optimistic, albeit a bit annoyed. The service manager has been very honest that I am kind of the guinea pig here as they figure it out. I did say I thought it was the strut (see post 3 in this thread) but they wanted to try a few different things first.

Hopefully this saga ends soon. I have been without the car almost 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks John4C for this run down. I have what has to be the exact same issue with my car. It is from the passenger side, although hard to tell if it is front or back. It seems to happen when the suspension is unloaded after a bump, especially if it is only on the right side. I'm sure it started in after a back road run and some rough roads so sounds like the same cause as yours. My dealer service is very backed up so hard to get in but I'll report back anything different that I find. I'll go in with the strut solution at the forefront and see if that saves me some time.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks John4C for this run down. I have what has to be the exact same issue with my car. It is from the passenger side, although hard to tell if it is front or back. It seems to happen when the suspension is unloaded after a bump, especially if it is only on the right side. I'm sure it started in after a back road run and some rough roads so sounds like the same cause as yours. My dealer service is very backed up so hard to get in but I'll report back anything different that I find. I'll go in with the strut solution at the forefront and see if that saves me some time.
No problem. I am hoping to get the call to pick the car up today and will report if the strut fixed the problem or not. I am optimistic but unable to confirm yet.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It was the strut assembly. The tech basically explained that the strut was not catching where it should, causing the noise.

I drove it home and no noise. I didn't really test it much since it's pouring here but I am feeling really good about it being fixed as I drove some roads where it definitely would have made the noise a week ago.

Overall I can't complain too much as they were very nice about it. Strut was an expensive part so he basically said they had to ensure it wasn't anything else before Alfa would OK replacing the assembly.

Will report if anything changes as I drive it more but seems resolved, thankfully.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I thought the fronts were double wishbone with a shock and the rears were the macpherson strut?

For the video one, check the rear heims.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I thought the fronts were double wishbone with a shock and the rears were the macpherson strut?

For the video one, check the rear heims.
They are, yes. Both are actually a coil-over. Not the adjustable coil-over like aftermarket, but they are coil spring over shock absorber.

It's possible that terms are getting mixed up here. Shocks and struts essentially do the same job, but are different.
- A 'strut' being a contained unit with a coil spring and a damper.
- A 'shock' being a damper that's independent of the coil spring.

Some struts have rebuildable dampers. It's more common to replace the entire strut though. Probably because there's a lot less work involved and a lot less special tools needed.

And for the million dollar question, "Why did AR use MacPherson Struts on the rear and not Chapman Struts?"

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Yes, my bad. Technically they replaced the right front shock assembly. The service manager (not the tech) was kind of using shock/strut interchangeably and I did here as well. It was the shock.

Under cause, the paperwork lists "shock blown out allowing spring to return too quickly, causing clunking noise."

Hopefully that is helpful for someone so they don't have to wait 3 weeks for a resolution. Overall, though, they took good care of me. I would've preferred a speedier resolution but service was very good. I got daily updates. I was offered a rental car 25 times (I have another car so it wasn't necessary). Idk what else I could really expect.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I talked to my dealer about shocks, and now have a pair of fronts on order. Hopefully, this will cure my thunk. Thankfully it's warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Got the car back. Sound is gone. Right front shock replaced under warranty--they seemed to not be surprised and didn't waste any time on diagnosing the problem. Thanks John4C!
Awesome. Glad you got it sorted. I wish my dealer was that willing to go right to the shock and replace it. :grin2:

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.