Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 17k miles, I just mounted my third set of tires to the 4C. Here's what I have run to date on the 18/19" fan spoke rims. For background, my driving is very aggressive backroads and mountain roads -- the 4C isn't called upon to be a commuter. I've been going through a set of tires in about 8-9k miles. I've included pictures of the tires at time of replacement. Yes, by the wear that you see here, I really enjoy driving the Alfa.

Pirelli P Zero Rs (Original Equipment)
  • Harsh ride quality
  • Uninspiring grip
  • Pretty flighty/darty
  • Relatively predictable sliding
  • Overall, one of the worst sets of original equipment tires that I've ever had

Bridgestone Potenza S007A (factory sizes)
  • Ride quality managed to be harsher than the P Zero's, sidewalls were incredibly stiff
  • Actual grip -- front end would feel light when you were really on the gas
  • Not particularly neutral
  • Some bad behaviors at the limits of adhesion
  • Bridgestone stopped making them

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (215/35R18, 245/30R18)
  • Astounding improvement in ride quality, despite less sidewall
  • Much better grip
  • Steering is much more neutral, like transformatively so
  • Kicking myself for not doing the swap sooner
  • On the rims, the tires end up being a little wider than the Bridgestones and about the same height, so it's a good size swap, but 30 profile tires are 30 profile tires

·
Registered
521 Posts
At 17k miles, I just mounted my third set of tires to the 4C. Here's what I have run to date on the 18/19" fan spoke rims. For background, my driving is very aggressive backroads and mountain roads -- the 4C isn't called upon to be a commuter. I've been going through a set of tires in about 8-9k miles. I've included pictures of the tires at time of replacement. Yes, by the wear that you see here, I really enjoy driving the Alfa.

Pirelli P Zero Rs (Original Equipment)
  • Harsh ride quality
  • Uninspiring grip
  • Pretty flighty/darty
  • Relatively predictable sliding
  • Overall, one of the worst sets of original equipment tires that I've ever had
View attachment 121049

• Ride quality managed to be harsher than the P Zero's, sidewalls were incredibly stiff
View attachment 121050

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (215/35R18, 245/30R18)
  • Astounding improvement in ride quality, despite less sidewall
  • Much better grip
  • Steering is much more neutral, like transformatively so
  • Kicking myself for not doing the swap sooner
  • On the rims, the tires end up being a little wider than the Bridgestones and about the same height, so it's a good size swap, but 30 profile tires are 30 profile tires
245/30/18 or 19?

·
Registered
2018 4C Coupe
38 Posts
My usage of the 4C is just like yours, spirited driving, no commuting, no track days

I've been debating with Pilot Sport 4S in the size you picked, or Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect 240 (same width as the tires you picked, but larger sidewall)

I'm not planning on driving this thing in the rain, so why not spoil myself with Cup 2's? that being said, I'm not tracking this things so will I even get them up to operating temp in the canyons and mountains?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would love to switch from the p-zero ARR to the PS4s. Unfortunately I am not allowed to change tire sizes here in Switzerland without a permission from the wheel manufacturer. Which, in case of the OEM wheels, is pretty impossible. I therefore have two possibilities: swap wheels and be allowed to mount different rubber sizes, or find a better tire in OEM sizes.
Would it be stupid to mix the PS4 (front) and the PS4s (rear)? Or maybe just go for the PS4 on all corners?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have them mounted on my Signature wheels in 225/40/18 and 255/35/19. They’re absolutely amazing. I’m on my 2nd set on the rear, first set had to be replaced prematurely due to a screw in the tire too close to the sidewall. But they truly are fantastic tires. Excellent grip, excellent in wet conditions, and don’t tram line nearly as bad as the P-zeros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My usage of the 4C is just like yours, spirited driving, no commuting, no track days

I've been debating with Pilot Sport 4S in the size you picked, or Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connect 240 (same width as the tires you picked, but larger sidewall)

I'm not planning on driving this thing in the rain, so why not spoil myself with Cup 2's? that being said, I'm not tracking this things so will I even get them up to operating temp in the canyons and mountains?
For normal street use and just spirited driving, don’t bother with the sport cups. You’re not really going to notice a difference yet you’ll have to replace them much sooner. I’d go with the 4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
I love my PS4S too. Great tire! I also have a car with PS2s currently and like those a lot as well. I tend to have good luck with Michelins.

I would go PS4S for street use. I look at it like this. I doubt you will find a situation (traction, wear, etc) where you regret getting the PS4S over the Cup2s. I do think if you get the Cup2s you might wish you got the PS4S instead.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm still on my original P-Zeros. I know. Bad. Just waiting on the right time to switch out to new wheels and tires.

Reactions: smc4C

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As the soon to be owner of a set of Potenza Sports, not quite what I was hoping to hear.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,264 Posts
I have the Michelin PSS in 215/245 sizes with same aspect ratio as stock. I have had them for about 2 years now and love the response and they definitely are better than the stock PZeros. What little tramming I had is gone, they wear very well with even wear across the tread. Of course the rears will last about 1/2 the time as the front tires on a mid engine car. I would lean towards the new PS4S but not sure if they now have the front tires in 215 width. 225 is really not a good idea for the stock 7" wide 18" wheels. Continental has an equivalent Summer performance tire that some members have and they really like them also. Believe they do come in the correct sizes but you would have to check.
Michelin Cup 2s are not a good choice for a car that spends most of its time on the street. Much has been written about that here before so rather than rehash it...just check past post topics. If you spend a lot of time tracking than there are other choices also but generally you are better off selecting one set of wheels/tires for road use and another for track use if you are a track fanatic.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 3 Ferraris + 6MT 997.2 RWB'd
769 Posts
Yup.

Mod NUMBER ONE on the 4c is easily wheels + tires:
Front: 18x9.25 ET30
Rear: 19x10 ET30
Michelin PilotSport 4+
225/40 ZR 18 Front Tires
255/35 ZR 19 Rear Tires

(Mod #2 easily an antigravity or similar battery swap, along with upgrading the brake fluid to the best you can afford and feel like maintaining)

The 4c suddenly drives significantly better than my 997 Carrera S, approximating a newer, turbo Ariel Atom. Nuff said.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 3 Ferraris + 6MT 997.2 RWB'd
769 Posts

My experience with cup 2's with the wear app stuff was with an F430 scud with some track time - although much heavier, wider tracked, and wildly more responsive than the 4c - the difference on the street (you said zero track time) might actually be a negative to "upgrade" to the Cuppers, or at least no real difference other than the much lighter wallet. I'd even venture to say the difference is similar to using nitrogen in your tires over air - is it placebo? Hard to tell. On a track, yes, another world... But on the street with constantly improper inflation and all that debris you're going to kick up into the car's crannies?

Why fix what isn't broke, moreover very good imo.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
It does seem odd that Alfa Romeo apparently worked very closely with Pirelli to come up with the perfect tire for the car and yet it appears to be one of the least favorite. I am super curious how this went so wrong or did something get changed which makes them so undesirable?

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
1,053 Posts
Nice write up. I agree that the factory Pirelli are terrible. I am happy with my Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 in 215/40-18 fronts and 255/35-19 rears along with a good alignment.
I put the Firehawks on my 500 Abarth. I really liked them and have been considering them for the 4C. When you say "happy", can you comment as to the grip, ride, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
It does seem odd that Alfa Romeo apparently worked very closely with Pirelli to come up with the perfect tire for the car and yet it appears to be one of the least favorite. I am super curious how this went so wrong or did something get changed which makes them so undesirable?
I thought my first set of P-Zeros were pretty awful too BUT an alignment and camber change along with the Uniballs made a big improvement with the replacement set. I like the fun factor with the Pirellis. I do have a set of R-S4 Hankooks that grip a lot better but are a lot cruder.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought my first set of P-Zeros were pretty awful too BUT an alignment and camber change along with the Uniballs made a big improvement with the replacement set. I like the fun factor with the Pirellis. I do have a set of R-S4 Hankooks that grip a lot better but are a lot cruder.
Agreed. Even a proper alignment does wonders for this car. A local tuning shop near me, R/T Tuning, got things very well sorted with my 4C a few years ago and just freshened things up to match the Michelins. Their alignment guy suggested that I go with some wider 17/18 wheels and some ride height changes to further the awesome. R/T doesn't see a lot of 4Cs, but they have learned a bit about these cars from tweaking mine. The shop preps a lot of race and track only cars -- they know what they're doing.

Given the improvements to date, I will be looking for some 17s/18s to elevate things further. 👍

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Peak grip in the ideal temp range makes for good numbers (lateral G and braking) on a spec sheet. That's what they accomplished.

Feel, cool/cold weather driving cons, wear, harshness and predictability don't get slapped onto a spec sheet, so there ya have it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts