Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
I put the Firehawks on my 500 Abarth. I really liked them and have been considering them for the 4C. When you say "happy", can you comment as to the grip, ride, etc.?
I have had my Firehawks on my 4C for the last 20k miles. Mostly highway with many spirited mountain drives.

The rears are past the bars now, so its about time to replace. Plenty of life left on the fronts.
I will say that the rear grip has gone down significantly compared to new -- still feel confident on turn in, no confidence in the rear. Obviously the rear is useless in the rain now.

Ride is still pretty good to me, sidewall is a bit mushy compared to other tires.

As I'd like to say, 80% of the PSS / PS4S for 60% of the cost.

·
Registered
2016 Spider
188 Posts
It does seem odd that Alfa Romeo apparently worked very closely with Pirelli to come up with the perfect tire for the car and yet it appears to be one of the least favorite. I am super curious how this went so wrong or did something get changed which makes them so undesirable?
They aren't too bad for the original size in my opinion, most people that are switching tires are going one or two sizes up so of course that would feel more comfortable and grippier so they think Pirelli's are awful which aren't.
I have been keeping it as a secret because I know I will get lots of haltered for doing this :LOL: but here is what I tried and the results.
I saw some 225/40/r18 P Zero on sale on amazon like around $113 each! it was too good to pass on so I purchased those. They were the same pattern and 220 thread as ours but with AO homologation (which is for Audi I guess). To improve the rear grip and match fronts I've got some used 255/35r19 at 70% thread from a friend which were dated at 2019 and AO homologation. Put them on and instantly felt a big difference! Hit my local track two weeks after and instantly shaved off 5 second my PB on my second session, not to mention weather was much hotter and my brakes were not as good as when I had my previous PB. Of course it is my go to track and I feel more comfortable every time I go there but 5 seconds improvements probably wasn't just my experience!

·
Registered
2016 Spider
188 Posts
@alfarosso Very interesting and completely consistent with my experience on twisty roads.. I am going to take a wild guess and say they feel great at about 80 degrees air temperature and really drop off fast with anything below 70...
Well here in SoCal we do not experience bellow 70 that often during the day.
You guys are gonna hate me again for doing this, but I took a trip to Bryce and Zion in Utah around the end of 2018 which I had to drive with my stock tires on some icy roads and wasn't too bad to be honest, just be gentle on gas and brakes. The mid engine with more weight on the rears was far better in snow/ice than what I thought, I think with that much ice and snow it really does not matter what tires you have unless you have some nice winter tires.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I too hated the Pirelli P Zero tires. switched to the Michelin MPSS and going to probably next year switch them out the the MP4S tires next. Moving up a tire size really ,made a improvement in the ride quality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Never rode on the stock Pirellis, but I had Bridgestone RE71R on the stock teledials. They were great, but rears were worn down within 6-7k miles.

I wanted a proper tire stretch instead of upsizing on a skinny wheel, so I bought some 17x8/18x9.5 and put on the MPS4S at 225/45 and 255/40. I just love this setup even more than before. I'm hoping to go a strong 10k miles on the rears, so wheel see what happens. For the streets/backroads the grip is plenty.

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
302 Posts
I am running re71, upsized to 215/245 on OEM 17/18 wheels. Base suspension. Great improvement in traction and steering response even with reduced tire stretch. I did not have an issue with tramlining on 18/19 with pzeros and factory alignment. The re71 were unhappy at 26/29 psi on backroads, ride too harsh and very twitchy. Better at 24/27 cold psi. Should have bought an extra set of rears, re71 now NLA.

I can’t say yet if the 200tw compromises offset the performance benefit for the street, definitely won’t want to get caught out in a rainstorm. I’ll put something else on the 18/19 for cold weather. G-Max, Michelin Pilot 4 AS or DWS06+

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am running re71, upsized to 215/245 on OEM 17/18 wheels. Base suspension. Great improvement in traction and steering response even with reduced tire stretch. I did not have an issue with tramlining on 18/19 with pzeros and factory alignment. The re71 were unhappy at 26/29 psi on backroads, ride too harsh and very twitchy. Better at 24/27 cold psi. Should have bought an extra set of rears, re71 now NLA.

I can’t say yet if the 200tw compromises offset the performance benefit for the street, definitely won’t want to get caught out in a rainstorm. I’ll put something else on the 18/19 for cold weather. G-Max, Michelin Pilot 4 AS or DWS06+
I like the Continental Extreme Sports in 215/40 and 255/35 (on18x8 and 19x9.5 wheels), for a summer tire they seem pretty good in the cooler weather and are supposedly good in the rain (I kinda avoid the wet stuff.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I really like the PS4S. Great street tires!

I took the car on a track day on the OE tires and later on the PS4S tires. The PS4S offers noticeably more grip than the P0 ARR, but I found that over a 20 minute session the ARR tires didn’t ever overheat whereas the PS4S turned to mush after a few laps if you push them hard. I guess it’s not that big of a surprise - get Cup2s if you’re doing a lot of track duty and want to run Michelins.

But after the PS4S struggled a bit, I was surprised the P0 ARR tires did so well at handling track sessions. So guess they traded some of the grip for better thermal performance in a track setting.

·
Premium Member
2018 4c and Stelvio
440 Posts
I have Cup2s, and shutter at the replacement cost. Does anyone know if the sidewalls are the same on the ps4s? I love the fitment and handling so much that I might just bite the bullet on another set

Reactions: alfa1105

·
Registered
743 Posts
I put the Firehawks on my 500 Abarth. I really liked them and have been considering them for the 4C. When you say "happy", can you comment as to the grip, ride, etc.?
Grip is very high, but not as good as the 200TW Bridgetstone RE-71R. I find the ride smooth, and generally quiet. They look good and are noticeably chunkier than the OEM Pirellis. Here are a few pics showing the difference to the sizes I am using.

·
Registered
844 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Might as well chuck my 1/2 cent in... I just put on my second set of tires at 13k... and I put on the Pirellis. I also track my car and run the occasional autocross. Can't say I have the same complaints posted here, but haven't run a different tire either. and if you don't have any plans on the 7th, join me at Limerock!

·
Registered
2018 4C Coupe
38 Posts
I have Cup2s, and shutter at the replacement cost. Does anyone know if the sidewalls are the same on the ps4s? I love the fitment and handling so much that I might just bite the bullet on another set
How much are you tracking the car?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don’t understand why some hundreds of dollar should matter, after all, as we say in Norway, “it’s just a sausage during slaughter season”😅 It’s one of the most crucial part of handling, safety and the whole experience.

·
Super Moderator
9,933 Posts
Might as well chuck my 1/2 cent in... I just put on my second set of tires at 13k... and I put on the Pirellis. I also track my car and run the occasional autocross. Can't say I have the same complaints posted here, but haven't run a different tire either. and if you don't have any plans on the 7th, join me at Limerock!
I don’t mind my Pirellis either. It’s you and me against the world. 😁

·
Registered
22 Posts
Booked in to have the original tyres (7 years old!) swapped for Michelins tomorrow, the rear Pirellis need changing as well but they were at least changed in 2018, I will do those soon. Why did I buy this car again? :love:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts