Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been wondering recently how best to maintain my spider's roof. I have been using the car as a daily and have been in multiple rainstorms. Given this is my first convertible I am not sure how frequently the roof needs to be treated and if so with what product?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Jake G,

In Australia I use products from a mob called Bowden's - they have some great car care products and a good sense of humour. If you have a look at their product range, you will get an Idea of what they can supply, but the postage to RSA may put you off using these guys.

They are a family owned and run business and produce extremely good car-care products.

Check out this video for tips on keeping your soft-top looking immaculate:

Cheers,

Alf.

·
Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
871 Posts
I wash mine the same time I wash the car. In between washings, I'll use a stiff brush to get any dirt/dust off. I've had many soft tops and found that keeping them clean is the best way to maintain them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks. How frequently do you apply this ?
It depends on exposure to the elements (rain, dust, sun, pollutants, dirt). I did mine when I bought the car (2019) 2016 Spider. Cleaner works great and the protector does just that , keeping it looking good and repelling water. My car is always garaged (heated) when not in use. I will probably give it another treatment again this summer. It's best to remove the top from car when cleaning to avoid overspray and rinse on the paintwork. I made a makeshift bench and allowed it to air dry in the garage for 24 hours. Follow the directions on application of the cleaner and protector and you can go wrong.
The end result is a top that looks and is protected just like it came out of the showroom. Just washing the top will eventually diminish the OEM fabric protectant.

·
Super Moderator
16,164 Posts
Have never had need for a convertible top treatment (never owned one), but I really like the Autoglym suite of products as a whole.
Up until the latest generation of DIY ceramics from a few other brands, almost everything that I used was from them, and has been for years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jake G,

In Australia I use products from a mob called Bowden's - they have some great car care products and a good sense of humour. If you have a look at their product range, you will get an Idea of what they can supply, but the postage to RSA may put you off using these guys.

They are a family owned and run business and produce extremely good car-care products.

Check out this video for tips on keeping your soft-top looking immaculate:

Cheers,

Alf.
Than
It depends on exposure to the elements (rain, dust, sun, pollutants, dirt). I did mine when I bought the car (2019) 2016 Spider. Cleaner works great and the protector does just that , keeping it looking good and repelling water. My car is always garaged (heated) when not in use. I will probably give it another treatment again this summer. It's best to remove the top from car when cleaning to avoid overspray and rinse on the paintwork. I made a makeshift bench and allowed it to air dry in the garage for 24 hours. Follow the directions on application of the cleaner and protector and you can go wrong.
The end result is a top that looks and is protected just like it came out of the showroom. Just washing the top will eventually diminish the OEM fabric protectant.
thanks for the advice. I just got my car and have driven it some heavy rain so I do think I need to get this product and apply it.

thanks for the tip will remove the roof do the wash and application.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Jake,

If you don't know when the roof was last treated, then it will be worthwhile doing it just for peace of mind.

The extra water repelling with these products makes the water bead on the roof and the it also looks blacker than before you use the product.

As for how often to repeat, that will vary based on your personal usage and how grubby you're car gets. I daily my car so it is out and about in the rain too and I do mine a couple of times a year to keep the roof looking at its best.

Cheers,

Alf.

Reactions: Jake G

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jake,

If you don't know when the roof was last treated, then it will be worthwhile doing it just for peace of mind.

The extra water repelling with these products makes the water bead on the roof and the it also looks blacker than before you use the product.

As for how often to repeat, that will vary based on your personal usage and how grubby you're car gets. I daily my car so it is out and about in the rain too and I do mine a couple of times a year to keep the roof looking at its best.

Cheers,

Alf.
Hi Jake,

Cheers,

Alf.
Hi Alf
Thanks for the advice. I am also daily driving and will definitely be doing it multiple times a year.
Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wash it with the car and spay 303 protectant. They also make soft top kits. It’s restores the color and helps protect against the UV.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wash it with the car and spay 303 protectant. They also make soft top kits. It’s restores the color and helps protect against the UV.
Literally just opened the mail to find the 303 top/fabric care kit I ordered - good to hear some positive feedback on it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts