Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just got my PS4Ss in yesterday. Rims Friday, but I have to opti-coat them so install Monday.

275s are meatier than I thought! Although it may not look like it, the tape measurer is flush at the side of the tire @[email protected] Tire rack said 10.1" read or 10.4"

Tire looks great and even feels sticky on the tread!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,533 Posts
I just got my PS4Ss in yesterday. Rims Friday, but I have to opti-coat them so install Monday.

275s are meatier than I thought! Although it may not look like it, the tape measurer is flush at the side of the tire @[email protected] Tire rack said 10.1" read or 10.4"

Tire looks great and even feels sticky on the tread!
Get a refund - 10.4" is only 265. >:)

Neat stuff. Think they are sticky now - just wait until the extrusion compound has worn off.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I actually can’t get over how good these tires are in cold weather. I’ve been driving the 4C these past few days in -2C to 2C temps. In this weather these tires are instantly sticky, good to go with no warm up at all. I’ve been doing things I would never have dreamed of on the Pirellis, with no fear whatsoever - or caution which ends up being for naught after the fact when I realize I could have pushed harder or gone faster. These MPS4S are shaping up to be damn good Spring and Autumn tires. What a surprise.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I actually can’t get over how good these tires are in cold weather. I’ve been driving the 4C these past few days in -2C to 2C temps. In this weather these tires are instantly sticky, good to go with no warm up at all. I’ve been doing things I would never have dreamed of on the Pirellis, with no fear whatsoever - or caution which ends up being for naught after the fact when I realize I could have pushed harder or gone faster. These MPS4S are shaping up to be damn good Spring and Autumn tires. What a surprise.
Haha - so you changed your mind and agree now with me that they would be good for autocross?

Where are these tires actually manufactured (it's wirtten on the sidewall)? Because it looks like I have to bend me over to get them in the sizes I need. When I find out which *@#¢! is responsible for not releasing the whole sortiment in europe I can't hold me back.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Haha - so you changed your mind and agree now with me that they would be good for autocross?

Where are these tires actually manufactured (it's wirtten on the sidewall)? Because it looks like I have to bend me over to get them in the sizes I need. When I find out which *@#¢! is responsible for not releasing the whole sortiment in europe I can't hold me back.

I still think a narrower front tire with better initial turn-in would be better for autocross. The 4S are kinda numb. Not sure if it’s the tire or that it’s a 225. RE71Rs have a sharper turn-in and more nimble feel. Are the 4S initially sticky enough for autocross? That is very possible for sure, but I still think a 215 would be a better front tire. I actually think a 205 would be best...except Pirelli. Hopefully Michelin drops some more sizes this year or next.

I’ll check the manufacture location tonight and report back for you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I still think a narrower front tire with better initial turn-in would be better for autocross. The 4S are kinda numb. Not sure if it’s the tire or that it’s a 225. RE71Rs have a sharper turn-in and more nimble feel. Are the 4S initially sticky enough for autocross? That is very possible for sure, but I still think a 215 would be a better front tire. I actually think a 205 would be best...except Pirelli. Hopefully Michelin drops some more sizes this year or next.

I’ll check the manufacture location tonight and report back for you.
I think the numbness will go away when it gets warmer - most review I have read about this tire quoted that it has excellent driver feedback compared with the competition (no RE71R in the reviews). It's all speculation on my side but I think the additional adhesion would increase cornering speed. The average speed is low. If you d'like to set a new NOS record then I would agree that narrower tires are faster.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The numbness feedback is the only thing keeping me from ordering a set of these right now. My fronts are still ok, so I think I'll end up sourcing a replacement set of the Pirellis for the rear and hope that by the next time I need a full set of replacements that there are better sizes available.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The numbness feedback is the only thing keeping me from ordering a set of these right now. My fronts are still ok, so I think I'll end up sourcing a replacement set of the Pirellis for the rear and hope that by the next time I need a full set of replacements that there are better sizes available.
Got the same problem. The Yokohama Ad08R are really interesting (215/40/18+255/30/19) but so damn expensive... Still in doubt what to do, because front tyres at my car are also still very good.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I will say that the difference after putting on these tires was akin to my experience after putting on Jamie’s blocks. The car was instantly easier to drive and more confidence inspiring. As was mentioned way back when I did the blocks, this can be a pro or a con depending on your perspective and desire. If you’re passionate about keeping the 4Cs raw and twitchy nature, then these tires might not be for you. It’s definitely easier to drive now. Jamie’s blocks made the car easier to drive. These tires made the car easier to drive...even more. Personally, I like that he car is easier to drive faster.

·
Super Moderator
13,533 Posts
I will say that the difference after putting on these tires was akin to my experience after putting on Jamie’s blocks. The car was instantly easier to drive and more confidence inspiring. As was mentioned way back when I did the blocks, this can be a pro or a con depending on your perspective and desire. If you’re passionate about keeping the 4Cs raw and twitchy nature, then these tires might not be for you. It’s definitely easier to drive now. Jamie’s blocks made the car easier to drive. These tires made the car easier to drive...even more. Personally, I like that he car is easier to drive faster.
Do you think this change is on account of the construction of the tires, the wider front size, or both?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Do you think this change is on account of the construction of the tires, the wider front size, or both?

Yes? Honestly not sure but I’d lean towards the construction of the tires. MPSS were impressive tires on their own, I have no doubt that the 4S are just a level or two or three above. MPSS are a several years old design, after all. I don’t think the extra 20mm has everything to do with it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'd guess that the construction isn't the issue, it's the size. In the only size available for the fronts right now, the 225/40, they are wider, less stretched on the rim, and have a taller sidewall. All three of these things are detrimental to steering feel. On an Elise, for example, you can noticeably feel the numbing effect of a 10mm width change in the same tire model and aspect ratio.

The PS4S is the best tire on the market right now and I'd guess it has slightly better turn-in than the Pirellis when comparing equivalent sizes, but I'd also I'd assume (and initial reports from guys trying them suggest) that this improvement is less than the decline due to the size issue.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I will say that the difference after putting on these tires was akin to my experience after putting on Jamie’s blocks.
I have a set of Jamie's blocks sitting on my shelf and haven't put them on yet for exactly this reason, and I think from your feedback :grin2:. In a car in this role in my garage steering feel is the most important factor in my enjoyment of it. I'm not looking for lap time or acceleration with it. I am fine with the tradeoff of more involvement for better feel for my use.

Hopefully someone makes a decent modern tire in the right size for us some day and this car doesn't become one where we're all forced to use something non-ideal.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have a set of Jamie's blocks sitting on my shelf and haven't put them on yet for exactly this reason, and I think from your feedback :grin2:. In a car in this role in my garage steering feel is the most important factor in my enjoyment of it. I'm not looking for lap time or acceleration with it. I am fine with the tradeoff of more involvement for better feel for my use.

Hopefully someone makes a decent modern tire in the right size for us some day and this car doesn't become one where we're all forced to use something non-ideal.

The blocks are so easy to install, why don’t you just try them? Granted you’ll need an alignment as well but that’s not a terrible thing to have done. Yes they change the car, and yes they take away the twitchy character, but in the end I’d say I love it more now than I miss how it used to be. I wouldn’t switch back. Actually, I would switch back one day for shits and giggles, but then I’d put the blocks right back on again.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The blocks are so easy to install, why don’t you just try them?
I will. I have a lift and an alignment rig so it's easy enough to do, I just haven't had the time to do them as an experiment since I got them. The more discussion that I read about them the less urgent it has been for me. Not being able to get a straight answer from Jamie as to the target alignment settings influences my lack of urgency too.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I will. I have a lift and an alignment rig so it's easy enough to do, I just haven't had the time to do them as an experiment since I got them. The more discussion that I read about them the less urgent it has been for me. Not being able to get a straight answer from Jamie as to the target alignment settings influences my lack of urgency too.

I agree with you on the alignment settings. Why can’t we all just share? We need a good definitive reference guide for alignments on this board.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The issue is that he'll just tell you to set it to the factory settings, install the blocks with any existing shims, then set toe. Given that this is a product designed by a handling guru (ex-Lotus reportedly) I'd like to know what it is that he designed them to do so that I can be sure it's there the first time and on repeated future re-alignments. Frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
13,533 Posts
I agree with you on the alignment settings. Why can’t we all just share? We need a good definitive reference guide for alignments on this board.
Well, we already have the thread for it.

Problem is that alignment settings are a lot dependent on personal preference and application. Just like opinions on tires.
You want -2 camber or steeper for the track, whereas someone on a slower track may think that's excessive. A third person who DD's his will laugh at the tire wear you get. Yet others prefer different castor settings or toe, depending on auto cross, street use, or their desire to let the car dart around at will.

Not criticizing any of these. But it means that there is no definitive answer. Just reports about what people's settings are, how they use the car, and what they find out.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts