Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
@heelntoe, i have gotten the new tires installed and went for a first drive yesterday.

Granted it was -8 and cold but i feel like suspension travel is even more reduced and hear a big clunk every time i hit a bump. It's way more pronounced than before and doesn't sound good.

Did you experience anything like it ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@heelntoe, i have gotten the new tires installed and went for a first drive yesterday.

Granted it was -8 and cold but i feel like suspension travel is even more reduced and hear a big clunk every time i hit a bump. It's way more pronounced than before and doesn't sound good.

Did you experience anything like it ?

Thanks

Not at all! That doesn’t sound right. If anything, my car’s ability to absorb bumps is much better now.

·
Super Moderator
3,458 Posts
I put new tires on my car today but not the new Mich PS 4S.....I opted for the older Mich SS as I have the 19/18" wheel size and wanted to stay with 215 in the front 7" wide wheels not the 225 that the PS4S comes in. And yes the SS are still available new from a few sources....I found mine at Discount Tire....believe you can also get them from Tire Rack. I opted for the 215/245 widths. Could have waited for the 215 size in the PS 4S but I needed tires now and I am not sure they will have that size for sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was checking on michelin.co.uk and it looks like PS4S are now available in 215/35 ZR18...can anybody confirm this information?

·
Registered
78 Posts
To leap frog off of Capoccia, I am starting to see PS4S in 215/35 ZR18...would this be a valid size for the front?

Stock: --> PS4S:
205/40 ZR18 --> 215/35 ZR18

235/35 ZR19 --> 245/30 ZR19

I was thinking this would be fine since the tires get slightly taller when you go wider and going down 5mm front and rear will keep it balanced...has anyone done something similar? Any ideas? Or should I just call a tire place?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ideally i'd like 265/30R19 (same outer dia as 235/35R19) on OE 8.5"X19 rims, but michelin specs 9" min rim width : did someone try it ?
255/30R19 would be OK for 8,5" but outer dia too small not within legal limits anymore

·
Super Moderator
3,458 Posts
I would stick to Michelin's recommendation for tire/rim width. Ideally the max and correct size for any rim is a tire that TREAD width (part of tire on ground) is equal to or slightly less than rim width. While a larger tire will go on the rim, handling goes down hill. The excess tire width will roll over and cause the tire to lift on edges. While it might look cool....it won't work well and can actually get dangerous. If you are looking for better adhesion....you are better going to a more track oriented tire compound instead of a wider tire width in a Summer rated tire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ditto what Bob said. I have always preferred my tires to fit tight on the wheel, so the wheels stay centered horizontally inside the tires. All aspects of handling seem crisper.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just put PS4S on the rear of my 4C (245/35 ZR19). I had to fit Pilot Super Sport (215/40/18) to the front as we can't get suitable PS4S sizes for the front here in Australia yet. I've done about 250km so far and can say that the MPSS and PS4S seem to work well together, and they are a noticeable improvement over the Pirelli P Zeros (AR) in handling, rear traction, noise and ride (as others have already noted). Whilst I'm comparing brand new tyres with ones that were 4 years and 21000km old, I didn't notice the Pirellis getting significantly worse over time, so I'm pretty confident that new Michelins would be noticeably better than even new Pirellis.

However, for those interested, even though I only went up 10mm in width per tyre, the Michelins look significantly chunkier, taller and squarer on the rims than the Pirellis (which were noticeably stretched). From the side the Michelins look like they have a noticeably taller sidewall, but I think that's due to them being squarer rather than an actual significant increase in diameter. I actually liked the look of the Pirellis better than the Michelins, but it's not a significant factor - I'd definitely opt for the Michelins over the Pirellis based on the improved performance and comfort. However, if the sizes were available, I'd probably stick with 205 front and 235 rear for the PS4S.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Good luck! What sizes are you getting? Can you let us know how it goes?
Thanks, I got the following
front 205/45/17 88W
rear 235/40/18 95Y

3 hours to do them, waited and had coffee then walked down the road to get a sandwich, fair play to the firm they were very sympathetic and we went over the lifting points etc beforehand. They documented it with photos, I think I got them nervous and on guard, too right with a car like ours. It rained coming home so car is filthy, will wash her tomorrow then consider winter storage in my garage, too crap in England now, roads are filthy with agriculture, chance of frost and salt.

Will post a pic of the tyres when I've washed her .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just got my car fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Fronts were 215/35/18 and rears 245/35/19. All seems fine. A little closer to the ground due to the fronts not being available yet in the 40 aspect ratio, but other than that they feel slightly better than the Pilot Super Sports that I had on my vehicle. I checked with corporate and they were fine with me putting on a thinner tire.

·
Super Moderator
3,458 Posts
Great that finally they are putting out tires we can use in the front in the 215 sizes. I would think going to the 215 and in the 35 aspect ratio will maintain about the same overall diameter as the 205/40 tires. Have you checked at Tire Rack or similar to compare the sizes?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Why not go for 215/35r18 and 245/30r19? That combo is available on tirerack. Might give too much of the dreaded 4x4 look, which like the rear OEM wheel offset, once seen cannot be unseen.

For AU if the Michelin website is correct then in 18s the only size available is 245 width (!) while Cup 2 starts at 225.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why not go for 215/35r18 and 245/30r19? That combo is available on tirerack. Might give too much of the dreaded 4x4 look, which like the rear OEM wheel offset, once seen cannot be unseen.
To be honest, I asked for 245/30 but they accidentally put on 245/35. Once the rears wear out, which doesn't take too long, I might try the 245/30.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts