Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just got my car fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Fronts were 215/35/18 and rears 245/35/19. All seems fine. A little closer to the ground due to the fronts not being available yet in the 40 aspect ratio, but other than that they feel slightly better than the Pilot Super Sports that I had on my vehicle. I checked with corporate and they were fine with me putting on a thinner tire.
Nice - could you post a side profile pic from distance so we can see the ground clearance please?

·
Registered
25 Posts
As much as I would love 4S on the front, I don't think I can afford another 0.5" lower ride height when I scrape everything already. Is the speedo/abs etc. ok? That's quite a bit smaller diameter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice - could you post a side profile pic from distance so we can see the ground clearance please?
It is night time right now. I will post a picture tomorrow.

As much as I would love 4S on the front, I don't think I can afford another 0.5" lower ride height when I scrape everything already. Is the speedo/abs etc. ok? That's quite a bit smaller diameter.
I haven't had any problems with them so far. I have to get down a ramp every day out of the garage....no issues. I have speed bumps at work....no issues.
To give you some perspective for the smaller front tire:
Stock tires (205 * .40) = 82 mm sidewall height
Tread depth of 7.9 mm = worn down tire is at ~ 74 mm

New Tires (215 * .35) = 75.25 mm sidewall height
Tread depth of 7.5 mm = worn down tire at ~ 68 mm

So like new, the MPS4S can be taller than your old tires. When worn down, they are 6mm shorter than worn stock Pirelli. Look at 6mm on a ruler.....that's not much at all. That isn't even half of the width of the nail on my pinky. I'm not worried at all.

And like I said, I contacted corporate and got the approval. The tech I talked to even said they would be better than stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
6-7 mm difference is about .25". I just went and measured with a ruler in my garage (its night will post side pictures tomorrow), and I'm at about ~4.4" at wheel and ~4.7 at nose.
Pics: (don't pay attention to nose scrap, that's when I had old tires and took a really bad dip very fast lol)

This is not at all scientific but what I'm trying to convey is that I think it is fine. I'm sure people on this forum have aftermarket suspensions and lowered the 4c. These tires, while smaller, are only a quarter of an inch difference. That's less than the tread depth of the stock tires! Are you worried about being too low to the ground when your tires wear out? If not, then these tires shouldn't be a worry either.

·
Super Moderator
5,305 Posts
6-7 mm difference is about .25". I just went and measured with a ruler in my garage (its night will post side pictures tomorrow), and I'm at about ~4.4" at wheel and ~4.7 at nose.
Pics: (don't pay attention to nose scrap, that's when I had old tires and took a really bad dip very fast lol)
View attachment 104289 View attachment 104290

This is not at all scientific but what I'm trying to convey is that I think it is fine. I'm sure people on this forum have aftermarket suspensions and lowered the 4c. These tires, while smaller, are only a quarter of an inch difference. That's less than the tread depth of the stock tires! Are you worried about being too low to the ground when your tires wear out? If not, then these tires shouldn't be a worry either.
Looks fine to me. I'd be more worried if the new tyres had greater height, raising the CG. You're not going off-road and if you keep your eyes open for raised humps/lumps in the road, and we all do as our cars have little clearance to start with, then you should be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good to see, my fronts are due soon so I will consider it. Problem is roads here are terrible, my nose is already a mess. I scrape every time I come home no matter what I do, and there are a few routes I flat out cannot take because of the speed bumps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you are having trouble with speed bumps already, maybe think about getting a taller tire. A 215/40 is taller than stock and that might help. But like Alfanut said, that will slightly raise the center of gravity which could slightly affect performance. It is also a heavier tire. Like I said before though, we are taking about single digit percentage point differences, which should be hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are having trouble with speed bumps already, maybe think about getting a taller tire. A 215/40 is taller than stock and that might help. But like Alfanut said, that will slightly raise the center of gravity which could slightly affect performance. It is also a heavier tire. Like I said before though, we are taking about single digit percentage point differences, which should be hardly noticeable.

View attachment 104301
I have just had Michelins put on:
225/40/18
255/35/19

They are slightly taller and so reads 2% slower (so you are going faster than you think). I have t say, the car is not only taller with fewer scraping issues already, but it looks so much better. The arches are much more filled out now.

Question:
I was recommended these sizes as being reasonable, does anybody know if I would have any issues tracking these tyres?

Umer

·
Registered
25 Posts
I still can’t find PS4S in that size? Where did you get them, or did you go for Cup2?

Good amount extra sidewall and width, I think 2% is ok. As long as you haven’t got TC lights flashing already you should be fine I think.

I’d really like some more sidewall myself, it’s painful scraping on my driveway every single time.
Is there anyway to import tyres? PS4S are in plenty of sizes abroad just not in the Uk!

·
Super Moderator
5,305 Posts
I still can’t find PS4S in that size? Where did you get them, or did you go for Cup2?

View attachment 104391

View attachment 104392
Good amount extra sidewall and width, I think 2% is ok. As long as you haven’t got TC lights flashing already you should be fine I think.

I’d really like some more sidewall myself, it’s painful scraping on my driveway every single time.
Is there anyway to import tyres? PS4S are in plenty of sizes abroad just not in the Uk!
We suffer from the same lack of choice here in Australia. It’s very frustrating. I know that doesn’t help you but knowing you’re not alone may be of some consolation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm we can get Eagle F1 SuperSports in the stock sizes here. Seems a pretty new tyre to compete with PS4S, not many reviews yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts

View attachment 104391

View attachment 104392

I got PSS fronts and PS4S rear, because they can't be had here in that size (which is stupidity).

Sorry, I forgot to clarify!

Thanks for the information above, that's super useful. No lights, no TPMS issues, it's great

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmm we can get Eagle F1 SuperSports in the stock sizes here. Seems a pretty new tyre to compete with PS4S, not many reviews yet.
Have read great things, but I'm a big fan of Michelin from previous cars, and at the price they were (under 600 for all 4 corners despite 2 steps up, fitted) was tempting.

Ultimately, the tyres alone have had a huge difference on how the car drives and they haven't even bedded in yet. The car still tramlines, but it doesn't throw you sideways, it is much more gentle. I didn't have alignent done yet because need new pads soon, sure that would have helped even more.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts