Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not sure if I’m blessed or cursed, my brother did not want his 2016 4C Spider and the lease end is coming up. The car was mostly confined to his garage and has just about 4K miles on it.

I bought it for my wife for the buyout of the lease. She will be using it as a daily driver and I want to put all season tires on it. I’m in Massachusetts and we do get snow, ice, etc. These are the 18/19 rim size.

Has anyone used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +3? They are available in the next size up and I was wondering if they will fit without rubbing and if they are a good compromise for everyday driving.

Thank you,

Kevin

2016 4c Coupe
1993 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm fairly sure I have driven a 4C with that tire (it was not my car), if not, the TreadWear is very close to the A/S +3. This was in Texas, and I didn't like them! You barely put the throttle 1/2 position and the back will break loose. I found myself barely into the throttle compared to my car. Personally, I would run 2 sets of tires. A true winter tire and a good summer tire. Far far safer, in my humble opinion. (I lived in Buffalo, NY for quite a few years, and I'm a firm believer in true snow tires)

·
Super Moderator
13,300 Posts
Have driven the MPS A/S 3+ on another sports car in some winter-ish weather (light ice) and was very pleased with the way they performed. But that is an extremely limited review. I suspect that, if the weather turns really wintery, the 4C is not going to hit the streets anyway.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have driven the MPS A/S 3+ on another sports car in some winter-ish weather (light ice) and was very pleased with the way they performed. But that is an extremely limited review. I suspect that, if the weather turns really wintery, the 4C is not going to hit the streets anyway.
My wife is a teacher and would be driving it as long as the roads are plowed. She currently has a Dodge Challenger and we have the MPS A/S+3 tire and they are a really nice all season tire. I have never had a traction problem on the Dodge, even with an aggressive start. The car will never be driven hard, just every day.

I did not see much other choice at tire rack.

Thank you

Kevin

2016 4c Coupe
1993 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have these and rubbing has not been a problem. I don't mind being able to spin the rear tire when requested. The larger size will help the speedometer read correctly. Good tire if you are not trying to set lap times.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you are going next size up, as in 215/40-18 and 245/35-19, I'd take a look at the Continental DWS06.
It's a proven performer here in Colorado, and while I always recommend full snows for snow, if you want an all-season the DWS has a snow performance bias.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did order the one size up on the Michelin PS+3, I am getting them installed next Tuesday. If they don’t work out, I will get a second set of rims with winter tires. I will update this thread with my impressions of the tire.

Thanks,

Kevin

2016 4c Coupe
1993 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good luck and let us know. I totally agree w/ Phil above to do it "right".
I have gone from OEM Pirelli RunFlats on my JCW (w/ KW v2) to the PS+3 (will write my brief synopsis after you try them out as don't want you to bias them before you even get them! lol)
Cheers!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good luck and let us know. I totally agree w/ Phil above to do it "right".
I have gone from OEM Pirelli RunFlats on my JCW (w/ KW v2) to the PS+3 (will write my brief synopsis after you try them out as don't want you to bias them before you even get them! lol)
Cheers!
I ended up not getting the car from my brother, after a week he wanted it back, That’s Alfa Charm. Anyways, he put the tires on the car and was very pleased. I just drove the car with the Michelin PS A/S+3 and what a nice tire. First, the ride is quieter, more comfortable and compliant. The traction is good and I felt no slipping of the tire in natural mode. There is no tram lining like the pirelli’s and I feel they will get better after a couple hundred miles. Lastly, the sides of the tire actually protrude out from the rim and offer nice curb protection.

So, the happy ending to this review is I managed to still buy a brand new 2018 Spider, with all options except carbon fiber interior trim group (why they did not spec it is beyond me, but it does have the worthless center speaker taking up valuable space). I am just waiting for covered transport to get it. My wife is very happy. She likes the gray better than yellow. Yes, I will order a set for her car.

2016 4c Coupe
1993 Spider Veloce

·
Super Moderator
4,951 Posts
I ended up not getting the car from my brother, after a week he wanted it back, That’s Alfa Charm. Anyways, he put the tires on the car and was very pleased. I just drove the car with the Michelin PS A/S+3 and what a nice tire. First, the ride is quieter, more comfortable and compliant. The traction is good and I felt no slipping of the tire in natural mode. There is no tram lining like the pirelli’s and I feel they will get better after a couple hundred miles. Lastly, the sides of the tire actually protrude out from the rim and offer nice curb protection.

So, the happy ending to this review is I managed to still buy a brand new 2018 Spider, with all options except carbon fiber interior trim group (why they did not spec it is beyond me, but it does have the worthless center speaker taking up valuable space). I am just waiting for covered transport to get it. My wife is very happy. She likes the gray better than yellow. Yes, I will order a set for her car.

2016 4c Coupe
1993 Spider Veloce
Congratulations! A lovely combination. Have you taken delivery yet? If not, when’s the happy day?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts