Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,045 Posts
Just got them on today.Man they feel trippy, Bathurst run should be nice. Tread wear 180 I don't think there going to last very long.Has any one tried these on our 4c?
You don’t do things by halves, Dario! Too late to show us your MPSS‘s from last week? How’d the windscreen repair go? All good, I hope.

·
Super Moderator
14,887 Posts
Nice tires. Expensive by the mile, but get the most out of them and they’re worth it!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just got them on today.Man they feel trippy, Bathurst run should be nice. Tread wear 180 I don't think there going to last very long.Has any one tried these on our 4c?
I tried them.
Where will you use them? Street or race track?

·
Registered
906 Posts
On the race track they are very sensitive to pressure.
Also, they overheat quite fast so only the first 2 laps will get a good time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks cipsony, I'll keep in mind.I hope that's a long circuit, 2 laps is not much..😒

·
Super Moderator
14,887 Posts
On the race track they are very sensitive to pressure.
Also, they overheat quite fast so only the first 2 laps will get a good time.
Sounds like you need a less or two from Lewis Hamilton in tire management! Given that every track-ready Porsche comes equipped with this rubber on, they are much heavier than our cars (granted, they are on much wider sections than our sizes), and they keep going for 15 lap sessions at our track without slowing down (I've been out with them), it seems odd to suggest they die after only 2 laps.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sounds like you need a less or two from Lewis Hamilton in tire management! Given that every track-ready Porsche comes equipped with this rubber on, they are much heavier than our cars (granted, they are on much wider sections than our sizes), and they keep going for 15 lap sessions at our track without slowing down (I've been out with them), it seems odd to suggest they die after only 2 laps.
In qualifications F1 drivers never make 2 consecutive laps.

We can drive 15 laps but if you are looking for the best lap and drive the car to the limit, after the second lap the times will start to rise. Of course, without pushing the car to it's limits or driving outside the optimum line the lap times will vary.

I am not making any tire management but constantly looking for the best laptime and always pushing myself and the car to the limit. For this reason I can tell that the increase in lap time is of about 0.5s after 2 hard laps (on a 2 min track).

·
Registered
906 Posts
So just to be clear: I'm not saying that CUP 2 tires are dead after 2 fast laps just that they do tend to loose the grip a little and this affects lap times --> If one is looking for a good lap time then it should try within the first 2 laps after a cooling one.
Other tires are more consistent (like FZ201 for example). On the other hand, the CUP 2 tires are a very good compromise between driving on the street and on the track --> They are light, absorb potholes quite well + other advantages.

·
Registered
63 Posts
From my experience Cup 2's have been very confidence inspiring on the street because they adsorb small bumps well and grip is good. Also sidewalls are extremely strong on cup2's. On the track I felt like I had more grip with the Cup2's but more response and feedback from Potenza RE-71R's

·
Registered
27 Posts
So just to be clear: I'm not saying that CUP 2 tires are dead after 2 fast laps just that they do tend to loose the grip a little and this affects lap times --> If one is looking for a good lap time then it should try within the first 2 laps after a cooling one.
Other tires are more consistent (like FZ201 for example). On the other hand, the CUP 2 tires are a very good compromise between driving on the street and on the track --> They are light, absorb potholes quite well + other advantages.
what was your cold ... and hot pressure

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a tire pyrometer to set the pressure but when the tires are cold the pressure is about 0.2 bar below the car recommended pressure: (so around 1.6 on the front 1.8 the rear when cold).
that's why it doesn't work .... you ride with the wrong pressures. when hot, the tires must be at 2.3bar. the cold pressure I often start at 1.9 bar on all 4 tires and I adjust to 2.3 bar after 4 to 5 laps. it takes 2-3 laps to heat up the tires and afterwards the tires are constant for more than 10 laps

·
Registered
906 Posts
that's why it doesn't work .... you ride with the wrong pressures. when hot, the tires must be at 2.3bar. the cold pressure I often start at 1.9 bar on all 4 tires and I adjust to 2.3 bar after 4 to 5 laps. it takes 2-3 laps to heat up the tires and afterwards the tires are constant for more than 10 laps
I don't think you understand what I wrote: I wrote that after 1-2 laps the times start to go up, and this is proven in the following video too, not to mention that I am driving on a longer track with 2 minutes laps.
Look at the difference in the video between the first and second lap --> It's absolutely huge: 1 second on a 1 minute lap.
If it takes you 2-3 laps to heat the tires I believe you are driving too slow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts