Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends :D

After nearly 1 year of owning a Giulia super, (I and my brother bought a two Giulia because we loved it after renting one in Austria)

A few days ago, just bought a new (0 km) 2016 Alfa red 4C coupe. I live in the middle east, which is part of why I'm lucky to find a 0 km 2016 model. Because people here do not know alfa a lot. And of course, I'll keep the Giulia for practicality.

The dealer is going to check everything up, hopefully, tomorrow or after tomorrow I'll receive it :D

I have one question is, they say they are not willing to change the tires (P-zero), and they are 4 years old by now. Is it safe to drive them for 3-6 months?

I am a cruise type of guy, 100 km/h, not intending to race it at all. And if I'm going to change it, should I install the same type P-zero ? or any similar one would do good?

Thanks in advance :D

·
Super Moderator
14,887 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on finding such a good un-used example!
ALFA=
Always
Looking
For
Another
:D

As for the tires, if they don’t give you a vibration from having a flat spot (from sitting for years in the same spot), then they are probably fine for regular driving. When it comes time to replace them, though, go for something better. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, or Continental Sport Pro Contact, perhaps. We have a good tire review thread on this forum.

Enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
2015 4C Madreperla White
110 Posts
Hello friends :D

After nearly 1 year of owning a Giulia super, (I and my brother bought a two Giulia because we loved it after renting one in Austria)

A few days ago, just bought a new (0 km) 2016 Alfa red 4C coupe. I live in the middle east, which is part of why I'm lucky to find a 0 km 2016 model. Because people here do not know alfa a lot. And of course, I'll keep the Giulia for practicality.

The dealer is going to check everything up, hopefully, tomorrow or after tomorrow I'll receive it :D

I have one question is, they say they are not willing to change the tires (P-zero), and they are 4 years old by now. Is it safe to drive them for 3-6 months?

I am a cruise type of guy, 100 km/h, not intending to race it at all. And if I'm going to change it, should I install the same type P-zero ? or any similar one would do good?

Thanks in advance :D

View attachment 108061
It’s important to know how the car has been stored. UV light kills tires—I also live in a warm and dry climate, I would be really concerned about these tires if they weren’t stored indoors and out of sunlight. Remember Paul Walker and Roger Rodas? Driving a newish Carrera GT on six-year-old tires. The truth is that the OEM Pirellis aren’t very good anyway—I would replace them sooner rather than later.

Congratulations on finding a fresh coupe! That has to be one of the very last no mileage non-Spider cars in the world! Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,130 Posts
I concur with changing out the tires.....you live in a hot area and depending on how the car was stored (indoors may be OK or sitting in a lot...not so good) they may be pretty dead. I would also look to see if they have checking or cracks in the rubber on the sidewalls. If so they are really dead! The stock tires weren't very good frankly....guess Italian car so Italian tires. Pirelli tires are OK but those weren't a good match to the car and emphasized tramming. As mentioned above....Michelin or Continentals are better choices...Bridgestone also has some that are quite popular with auto cross and track people but shorter lived.
You mentioned that you could baby them for a while and replace later. I would still take them to a good tire shop and get their opinion to be on the safe side.

Oh...and congrats on the car....more pictures and stories expected. You made a GREAT choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome and congratulations on finding such a good un-used example!
ALFA=
Always
Looking
For
Another
:D

As for the tires, if they don’t give you a vibration from having a flat spot (from sitting for years in the same spot), then they are probably fine for regular driving. When it comes time to replace them, though, go for something better. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, or Continental Sport Pro Contact, perhaps. We have a good tire review thread on this forum.

Enjoy your new car!
It’s important to know how the car has been stored. UV light kills tires—I also live in a warm and dry climate, I would be really concerned about these tires if they weren’t stored indoors and out of sunlight. Remember Paul Walker and Roger Rodas? Driving a newish Carrera GT on six-year-old tires. The truth is that the OEM Pirellis aren’t very good anyway—I would replace them sooner rather than later.

Congratulations on finding a fresh coupe! That has to be one of the very last no mileage non-Spider cars in the world! Have fun!
I concur with changing out the tires.....you live in a hot area and depending on how the car was stored (indoors may be OK or sitting in a lot...not so good) they may be pretty dead. I would also look to see if they have checking or cracks in the rubber on the sidewalls. If so they are really dead! The stock tires weren't very good frankly....guess Italian car so Italian tires. Pirelli tires are OK but those weren't a good match to the car and emphasized tramming. As mentioned above....Michelin or Continentals are better choices...Bridgestone also has some that are quite popular with auto cross and track people but shorter lived.
You mentioned that you could baby them for a while and replace later. I would still take them to a good tire shop and get their opinion to be on the safe side.

Oh...and congrats on the car....more pictures and stories expected. You made a GREAT choice.

I really appreciate your messages, guys, <3

I'll keep your advice in mind, directly will take it to tire shop - although I'm afraid they'll force me to buy new ones from them x) -

·
Super Moderator
14,887 Posts
I really appreciate your messages, guys, <3

I'll keep your advice in mind, directly will take it to tire shop - although I'm afraid they'll force me to buy new ones from them x) -
Of course they will - they would not be doing their job, if they did not try to part you from your money.

Do you have any indication as to whether the car lived most of its life indoors or out so far? The state of the dashboard (I’m assuming leather, but perhaps not) might be some indication.

@The Real Cvh , you live in his part of the world - what’s the local thinking on tire life?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course they will - they would not be doing their job, if they did not try to part you from your money.

Do you have any indication as to whether the car lived most of its life indoors or out so far? The state of the dashboard (I’m assuming leather, but perhaps not) might be some indication.

@The Real Cvh , you live in his part of the world - what’s the local thinking on tire life?
As they were trying to sell the car, most of its life was in the showroom in front of other alfas + fiat
the problem as I said, I think only 7 are sold in my 10 million city capital (Riyadh)
people don't know the car and don't trust alfa because even in the prime age, we never had alfa in our country or even gulf countries around us.
people were asking for a test drive, and the dealership refused because it was the last and luckily for me, I was fortunate to find it waiting for me :D because I was still collecting :(

It is leather interior, I don't remember seeing any sign of old age.

But I'm very anxious about tires, even with new ones on Giulia. As a doctor seeing a lot of trauma cases. I never joke with tires. So, 100% would change it after 6 months at max.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I'd put new tires on. In the UAE tires are not allowed to be older than 3 years. Don't know what your rules in Saudi are though. I can't say how long the P-Zero's last out here, my first car was kept in a air-conditioned garage. Also had to change the tires regularly because I'd get through them rather quickly. So never had time to see any cracks, which you probably know is the biggest problem here.

You say you've seen enough trauma cases - that should be your answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe the last time I'll see it without the ugly license plate ruining the front of the car. Because in here we are forced to use front and back plates :(

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,130 Posts
Maybe the last time I'll see it without the ugly license plate ruining the front of the car. Because in here we are forced to use front and back plates :(

View attachment 108081
There are aftermarket suppliers of license plate holders that screw into the tow eye location on the front of the car. Besides a nice looking tow eye and the license plate holder, some also allow you to attach a sports video camera. And for picture day or track use you just unscrew the assembly. I live in a state in the US (MIchigan) that doesn't use front license plates....YEAH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts