Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to try to get this fixed under warranty. What are my chance? Is there any fix? That’s bullshit.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're screws. Torx heads...not sure the size...25, 27, or 30 perhaps? I can check in the am.
I mean yes on the first picture. But the rivet in the trunk are starting to rust too. And that can not be replaced.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can clean off the rust and then use a small brush to put on some rust protectant. However, I would check to see how you are getting that much moisture in that area.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Dissimilar metal corrosion.

The screw is the lesser metal; it is in contact with another metal. The screw corrodes first.

It can be completely unrelated to water entry. for example: You can take two identical screws (see many license plates) and they can be identical and you can screw them into the same surface, and one 'rusts' (which is true technically), and one does not. One might touch the metal of the license plate as it was tightened such that the paint from the plate is not separating the metals, while the other screw head is protected from a dissimilar metal because the pain is intact.

Slight variations in the am't of zinc in the screws and what happens at the threads where the metals meet (did the surface zinc coating on the mounting surface wear off and now two different metal are meeting?)

Or, of course, I could be completely wrong and you have obvious signs of water entry (which can speed up dissimilar metal corrosion, if it's that).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Update: The dealer will change the trunk and the seal under warranty.
Thank you for sharing the good news, Samy. If you are in need of any extra support while your Alfa is in service, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM.

Mark
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dissimilar metal corrosion.

The screw is the lesser metal; it is in contact with another metal. The screw corrodes first.

It can be completely unrelated to water entry. for example: You can take two identical screws (see many license plates) and they can be identical and you can screw them into the same surface, and one 'rusts' (which is true technically), and one does not. One might touch the metal of the license plate as it was tightened such that the paint from the plate is not separating the metals, while the other screw head is protected from a dissimilar metal because the pain is intact.

Slight variations in the am't of zinc in the screws and what happens at the threads where the metals meet (did the surface zinc coating on the mounting surface wear off and now two different metal are meeting?)

Or, of course, I could be completely wrong and you have obvious signs of water entry (which can speed up dissimilar metal corrosion, if it's that).

Yeah, my trunk is always damp. So there is water intrusion. I think the seal around the trunk is not good. I also wonder if it's possible to tweak the trunk latch to make sure it sit flat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, my trunk is always damp. So there is water intrusion. I think the seal around the trunk is not good. I also wonder if it's possible to tweak the trunk latch to make sure it sit flat.
I have the same issue, but I'm not sure if it's leaking from the seal or getting wet from water splashing from the engine compartment. You have the early trunk, that is made with some form of a pressed felt. That material seems to absorb moisture, the newer cars have a one piece molded plastic tub. Let us know what the replacement from the dealer is.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
4,063 Posts
I have the same issue, but I'm not sure if it's leaking from the seal or getting wet from water splashing from the engine compartment. You have the early trunk, that is made with some form of a pressed felt. That material seems to absorb moisture, the newer cars have a one piece molded plastic tub. Let us know what the replacement from the dealer is.
After the new trunk is replaced, I would still consider replacing the existing Torx screws with stainless screws. I did that for some bolts in the floor of my car also....not because they were rusting, but because water from shoes, etc. could get in that area. Mainly the screws that hold the foot plate on the passenger side. I also have a fire extinguisher connected through the existing lugs designed for that purpose parallel to the trans tunnel so used stainless for those also. But bottom line, you shouldn't be getting water in that area although I noticed on my coupe that when opening the engine cover after washing the car water can drip down in that area.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: They receive the new part but apparently it does not fit. Some of the holes are not aligned etc. They are in touch with Alfa to see what they plan to do. I wonder if the bucket of the coupe is different than the spyder.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been waiting for close to 2 weeks now. I'm starting to become a little bit frustrated with Alfa. They asked the dealership to send pictures and shit.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The trunk bucket of the coupe is different than the spider. 100%.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts