Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Need advise

6K views 60 replies 21 participants last post by  Stevendesq 
#1 ·
I almost pulled the trigger on a 4c then Covid financial concerns made me skip the vehicle, which sold. My concerns have passed so I figured let me ask some advise before I jump right in.

I have a family car and looking for a me car. I have been looking at the 4c for a while. Here are my questions.

1. Spider worth it?
2. I am not into keeping things original. I’ve already considering a new radio and some performance mods. Probably joying with backup camera. Do the years matter in terms of options or body style? Silver exterior and red interior, which I like, only seems to available in 2017s.
3. What is the best place to find a used one? I want to spend about 60k. The one I missed was in California and I was going to ship it to NYC.

Thank you

#2 ·
The early ones had front ball joint problems but should have been seen to. Same with transmission problems which were mostly software related and there was a shield added over the TCM. Early ones should have been upgraded at the first annual service in a so-called Pit Stop Program. If you’re the cautious type you’ll be safer with a 2016 model onwards, however, apart from options, there are no mechanical differences between the 4Cs that came out in 2014 and those that ended the run in 2020.
Race pack option is the most significant as it added a rear anti-roll bar, a slightly heavier duty front one and slightly lowered ( by 1cm) and firmer suspension and 18/19” wheels with AAR Pirellis. Most tyres will be replaced with Michelins of some description.
LE coupes will sell for a premium over SE coupes as they come fully loaded and are numbered so have a certain exclusivity.
Good hunting.

#4 ·
1. Spider worth it?
2. I am not into keeping things original. I’ve already considering a new radio and some performance mods. Probably joying with backup camera. Do the years matter in terms of options or body style? Silver exterior and red interior, which I like, only seems to available in 2017s.
3. What is the best place to find a used one? I want to spend about 60k. The one I missed was in California and I was going to ship it to NYC.

Thank you
Hi Stevendesq,

I have a Spider and yes I think it is well worth the extra money, but to some it is not as pretty as the Coupe and I respect their opinion. The Spider with the roof off is a very different experience to when the roof is on. You get a better view out the back window on the Spider too, but you don't get to see the tacky plastic engine cover through the rear glass either (easily fixed with some after-market options for the Coupe owners). The Spider doesn't drone as badly as the Coupe's with the race exhaust.

If you get a Spider, you will not be listening to the radio very often, though I get the idea of modifying it for a reverse camera as backing into tight spaces with just the mirrors can be a bit stressful with the Dual Clutch Transmission (it can be difficult to get the feel for the clutch bite point).

I think that most of the North American cars came pretty much loaded with options that are not available elsewhere in the world, so just be patient and your dream car will find you - that's just the way it works with the 4C.

The best place to find one is Outer Mongolia, but the shipping costs are a killer and the service history is a bit suspect. A life spent on rough roads will have wrecked the suspension and yak %hit on the hood will dull the paint. Seriously though, search in all the usual places. Some even come up for sale on this forum, but usually don't last long.

I wish you all the best in your search. You will not be disappointed and the search for "the one" is part of the fun anyway.

Cheers,

Alf.

#5 · (Edited)
I was never into convertibles, party for safety (in a roll) and partly for not liking the sun or wind when driving in friends' convertibles. They are also often heavier (not an issue in 4C). I rented a 4C spider on Turo for a day and I was sold. Overall, I got a spider because I liked the looks and the rear visibility is much better. I also wanted the option of having the roof off if I like it (I enjoyed both roof on and off on the rented one). Now I drive it with roof down all the time and it is nice. Well, it is not nicer on a highway, I don't care about that but once you are off the highway or in twisties it is a blast. When I can I leave the house with the roof off nowadays.

BTW, the drone can be easily fixed by downshifting. The car sounds good at 75mph in 5-th.

#11 ·
I almost pulled the trigger on a 4c then Covid financial concerns made me skip the vehicle, which sold. My concerns have passed so I figured let me ask some advise before I jump right in.

I have a family car and looking for a me car. I have been looking at the 4c for a while. Here are my questions.

1. Spider worth it?

Thank you
I’ll just leave this right here.

#13 ·
Good time to buy.

#15 ·
Welcome to the forum, Stevendesq! Lots of great knowledge here, and as you just found out plenty of friendly and helpful people to share your 4C experience with.

You’ve aleady had some great answers. The Spider choice is really personal preference with the 4C, as the weight difference is negligible and the chassis rigidity identical. The 4C Spider being more of a targa anyway, it is a bit different from the more “bathtub with a windshield” style convertible.

Options define the difference between these cars moreso than model year. You may find that some of the information regarding these, here, is dependent on region. We are a global forum. The Race Pack, for instance did not automatically come with ARR tires in North America. And only early “sport” suspension cars (vs race) came with only one swaybar. Manufacturing dates of early 2015 on had two, but both are 1mm thinner than their Race equivalents.

Find the colour combination and options you truly want, with clean history, and go for it before someone else does. Negotiate your best deal, but don’t dawdle. They aren’t making any more of these, and the total population is small.

Good luck!

#18 ·
While the vehicle is not perfect for my desires it is certainly acceptable. My total bid will be under far market. If I win, I get it at discount. If I lose then no big deal. In terms of colors silver is my first choice then red then black then yellow. I could live with any of the four. I am still on the fence about a spider.

#23 ·
Hi Oleg,

I'm sorry you didn't get my sense of humour. I was merely advising the OP that the cheapest 4C could be located a long way away, have been treated badly by the owner, have a poor service history and the bodywork may not be great condition.

I certainly hope that nobody on the forum has booked their flights to Mongolia in search of their dream car. If you have, you will need to take the number 93a bus from Ulaanbaatar airport to the train station. Wait there til Tuesday morning, then catch the northbound train. After three hours you will come to a little railway siding. Get off the train here and you will be picked up by the local Alfa dealer's daughter. She will give you a lift on the back of her tricycle to the dealership where your prized 4C awaits. You can have your car blessed by the Buddhist monks in the temple at the top of the mountain before arranging shipment back to the USA.

Cheers,

Alf.

#24 ·
I had a coupe first and now have a spider and on the whole I like the spider better. The coupe looks better than the spider when the top is on but top off I'd call it a wash and I only drive with the top off. The spider is more visceral, you hear more interesting mechanical noises and less road noise whether the top is on or off and I think there is a greater sensation of speed in the spider. The coupe is like a snare drum, amplifies all noise in the cabin while the spider's fabric top helps to absorb noise when it's on and all the noise is blended with the air when the top is off. It's easier to see out of the back of the spider and easier to get in and out with top off.

I love the lines of the coupe in the back and the concept of the glass hatch but the factory engine cover is a real let down. In 2017 the Akra exhaust became available and I prefer it greatly to either the race or standard exhaust. My car has the carbon flag mirrors, Akra and carbon fiber halo - along with hid lights these were my must have options when buying. Having said all that you can't go wrong with any 4C and I'd like to have a grey coupe to go with my white spider.

#25 ·
Thank you all. After reading all of the posts I decided to let the one selling on bat go because I found 2016 spider in gray with the track package. it checks 4 out of six requirements. I think spider is the most important. It’s priced below my target zone but I will spend another 2k shipping it. I contacted the seller. If it has not sold I will start the negotiations while checking it out on car fax. I just wish it had a sleeping compartment because if I get it the Mrs will not be happy.

#27 ·
I like the looks of the coupe better than the spider. I just don't like spiders in general.

I don't see value in LEs either. Over 20% of the 4Cs sold in the US are LEs - not rare. I prefer the 2017 and 2018 because of the Akrapovic exhaust and I see a lot of buyers with the same focus. Also you probably have more warranty left on the newer models.

Color was really important to me also.

Jeff

#28 ·
I think I found one, which checks off most of the boxes. But I have concerns. The seller lives in the UK and vehicle has been kept in a garage for a year. The window sticker picture is digital and covid prevents me from seeing the vehicle. i can’t receive a photo of the vin because he is away. I will run a car fax and use an escrow company for the payment. what else can I do to protect the transaction?

#31 ·
I've been following the 4C since its development and closely watch the new and used car sales. There aren't any deals on 4C's and I would suggest go for the right spec you want and not expect any bargains. Very low production car that is sold to passionate consumers.

If you plan to keep the car for a long time which would be wise on the 4C, an extra few thousand isn't going to be a big deal in the end.

As for coupe or spider, I ask that myself too, but I am leaning towards the Spider just to have two different driving experiences.

#32 ·
I bought my 4C 3 years ago brand new. I also had a specific spec in mind. At my point in my life ... I was not going to settle for anything less than what I wanted. The point is .... finding my EXACT spec was hard enough even when the 4C coupe was still in production. I did not want to order. I wanted a new one at a dealership ready to go.

Good luck OP. The fun is also in the destination of looking for that car. Just be mindfull that locating your perfect spec will be a challenge. It's out there.

Reactions: Robocop305
#34 ·
I prefer the coupe because of the amazing looks and where I live it is HOT so I usually run around with the AC blasting and windows up. I remember when I lived in Texas and I first got my Elise I would drive everywhere with the top off. Eventually the novelty of it wore off after a while, especially in the Summer when its 90+ degrees outside. So I ended up keeping the top on most of the time and wished I had bought an Exige instead...later, the same thing happened with my Boxster and I wished I'd bought a Cayman instead. Maybe I finally learned my lesson with the 4C lol.

I do agree the Spider with the top off is going to give the most visceral experience, but the coupe also delivers a very visceral experience just in a different way. My LE does not drone in 6th at highway speeds so that seems luck of the draw I guess.

Also, even though Alfa says there are 500 numbered LE's in the U.S., taking a look at Autotrader there are 28 4C's for sale and only 2 are LE's. On car gurus there are 35 4C's listed and 4 are LE's. Supply and demand are definitely in favor of the LE and I believe they will continue to hold a premium over their comparable mileage/options peers. Of course I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

Hope this helps and good luck! You really cant go wrong either way.

#37 ·
I am very suspicious. Seller’s name is a real person. I googled his email address. Now I must confirm that the person is really him. I am scheduled to speak with him next week. I can arrange for a mechanic to visit the vehicle and examine it. The vehicle is in LA. I was scheduled to be there in September but covid cancelled my trip. I am in NYC. My plan is use to a lawyer in California as an escrow agent. He holds the money and it is not released to have the car registered in NY. I still have a lot of home work to do and its starting to feel like a lot of work for a car that does not have everything I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.