Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
What is the story with some of these dealers with left over new 2016 4Cs? They seem to list them in the 60s but I can't imagine they expect someone to be stupid enough to take a $15k hit the second they sign over the title... there are lots of '16 4Cs with under 2000 miles for mid $40s. Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hard to know but I think those dealers figure they've held the cars this long they might as well wait until they have the only new cars available for sale. Some people shy away from used turbo charged cars. A couple months ago they were 40-50 new 4C's on Autotrader, today there are 13 so it won't be long before those two 16's are the only new cars to buy. I saw my first 4C in person at the dealer with the 16's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What is the story with some of these dealers with left over new 2016 4Cs? They seem to list them in the 60s but I can't imagine they expect someone to be stupid enough to take a $15k hit the second they sign over the title... there are lots of '16 4Cs with under 2000 miles for mid $40s. Anyone have any insight on this?
Not sure where you are seeing "lots of '16 4Cs with under 2000 miles for mid $40s" I count exactly 1 that fits that criteria ($46,995) and it's the black spider in Illinois that has an issue with the carfax I believe...if you know of more of them please share!!
I would hope those dealers with leftovers would negotiate- I contacted a few recently and they are pretty firm....claiming "new car" premium and all. Another point of note there were no 17' Spiders (that I know of) made for the US market....so there are not that many "never driven" ones to go around....and btw people knowingly take 15k hits all the time on new cars...go buy a brand new Porsche (non limited edition) and sell it in 3 months🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure where you are seeing "lots of '16 4Cs with under 2000 miles for mid $40s" I count exactly 1 that fits that criteria ($46,995) and it's the black spider in Illinois that has an issue with the carfax I believe...if you know of more of them please share!!
I would hope those dealers with leftovers would negotiate- I contacted a few recently and they are pretty firm....claiming "new car" premium and all. Another point of note there were no 17' Spiders (that I know of) made for the US market....so there are not that many "never driven" ones to go around....and btw people knowingly take 15k hits all the time on new cars...go buy a brand new Porsche (non limited edition) and sell it in 3 months🤷‍♂️
I've personally gotten agreements for purchase price of several cars in the price range I quoted but that's kind of beside the point. Even if the number was $50k, it's still crazy to think that a dealer would assume they could sell one for anywhere near $60-65k. You analogy to the Porsche also makes no sense since you'll almost never see a 911 sit on a lot for 5 years. People pay a premium for the latest and greatest, not for a car that's been sitting in the baking sun for 5 years at a dealer. Original question still stands.

·
Registered
387 Posts
...go buy a brand new Porsche (non limited edition) and sell it in 3 months🤷‍♂️
a little off the OP....but today "Porsche" and "limited edition" cough cough :eek:....more like make one 'special' vehicle this year and then one more 'MORE' special next year and so on and so on... (Hey we will put the 4.0 in the GT4 and Spyder only.....oh wait.... lol)
This however is very commonplace with a lot of companies....I'm just sensitive I guess, as Porsche was very dear and near from way back..sad to see this marque today, no where near as 'special to me' as they once were.
Thank You -Therapy Session Over :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
The two 16's at Jake Sweeney have been stored under cover the entire time as far as I can tell. Agree with 4Cguy, with rare exceptions any new car bought is worth 10-20% less as soon as it rolls off the lot. Given that these cars had almost no running changes from from 2015 to present someone will pay $10k more to have a new old stock car with a full factory warranty over a used car. You are literally talking about a couple new 16 4C's in the entire US, they will eventually sell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The two 16's at Jake Sweeney have been stored under cover the entire time as far as I can tell. Agree with 4Cguy, with rare exceptions any new car bought is worth 10-20% less as soon as it rolls off the lot. Given that these cars had almost no running changes from from 2015 to present someone will pay $10k more to have a new old stock car with a full factory warranty over a used car. You are literally talking about a couple new 16 4C's in the entire US, they will eventually sell.
Not for what they're asking, or they would have sold by now. It's literally been 5 model years. That's unheard of.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not for what they're asking, or they would have sold by now. It's literally been 5 model years. That's unheard of.
you may be correct....but unless there is a willing seller there is no🕺
Agree also, that it is unlikely that you will find an older new Porsche at a dealer (I actually did find a new 2yr old new stock back in 2005) but I would venture that many a old/new Lotus etc exist...with the 'new' car premium.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Name another car sold in the US with a total production volume of ~ 2,000 over six years. The normal rules don't apply and the dealer is apparently happy to sit on the cars as I'm sure they've had plenty of offers. Car dealers know there is an ass for every seat. You sound like someone who is annoyed they can't make a deal tbh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
a little off the OP....but today "Porsche" and "limited edition" cough cough :eek:....more like make one 'special' vehicle this year and then one more 'MORE' special next year and so on and so on... (Hey we will put the 4.0 in the GT4 and Spyder only.....oh wait.... lol)
This however is very commonplace with a lot of companies....I'm just sensitive I guess, as Porsche was very dear and near from way back..sad to see this marque today, no where near as 'special to me' as they once were.
Thank You -Therapy Session Over :)
Oh my gosh, I TOTALLY agree with you....I no longer regard Porsches as unique or special...it is a shame because they certainly used to be...but all in the name of "progress" and profit I suppose...
I almost didn't want to make the "limited edition" comment because of exactly what you described, but I figured someone somewhere along the line flipped a "limited edition" Porsche and didn't lose on it...but that's far from the norm!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a check engine light that was hard to diagnose (but ended up being minor) so I started looking at other 4Cs and could not find one I would buy. Not a question of price. I would have paid a higher price. Only looking at 2017 and 18 coupes

Jeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've personally gotten agreements for purchase price of several cars in the price range I quoted but that's kind of beside the point. Even if the number was $50k, it's still crazy to think that a dealer would assume they could sell one for anywhere near $60-65k. You analogy to the Porsche also makes no sense since you'll almost never see a 911 sit on a lot for 5 years. People pay a premium for the latest and greatest, not for a car that's been sitting in the baking sun for 5 years at a dealer. Original question still stands.
Original question has been answered, rare car...not that many untitled/new ones left...if someone wants a new one there most likely will be a premium attached....
On another note, if you have "gotten agreements for purchase price of several cars in the price range" why haven't you pulled the trigger? Most would agree mid 40s for a 16' with less than 2k miles/no story car is a great deal....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Name another car sold in the US with a total production volume of ~ 2,000 over six years. The normal rules don't apply and the dealer is apparently happy to sit on the cars as I'm sure they've had plenty of offers. Car dealers know there is an ass for every seat. You sound like someone who is annoyed they can't make a deal tbh.
I'm just annoyed because it's been an early day at work and the coffee didn't seem to help at all. As far as the cars are concerned, yeah I mean just like any consumer I want to pay the least possible amount for anything and do find it to be a bit tragic that these cars just sit there rotting away while a dealer essentially waits for a miracle.
Original question has been answered, rare car...not that many untitled/new ones left...if someone wants a new one there most likely will be a premium attached....
On another note, if you have "gotten agreements for purchase price of several cars in the price range" why haven't you pulled the trigger? Most would agree mid 40s for a 16' with less than 2k miles/no story car is a great deal....
I didn't pull the trigger because the market for these cars right now is all over the map and I'm a value-minded shopper first and an enthusiast second. On BaT we've seen them go for low $40s and at least on there the seller provides real details about the cars along with hundreds of pictures. You can't get any valuable information out of a dealer without getting the feeling that they're trying to pull a fast one on you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My take is that these cars are already a bargain at the $10-20k off sticker most people pay for new. Even at full sticker Alfa probably lost money on every car sold - there is a reason you can't buy a car with a hand laid carbon fiber chassis for less than six figures. I'm as value oriented as anyone but you'll forget all about a couple grand here or there when that car is in your garage, they are special vehicles. You would be a in better mood today if you had one ;-)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didn't pull the trigger because the market for these cars right now is all over the map and I'm a value-minded shopper first and an enthusiast second. On BaT we've seen them go for low $40s and at least on there the seller provides real details about the cars along with hundreds of pictures. You can't get any valuable information out of a dealer without getting the feeling that they're trying to pull a fast one on you.
Fair point, and I agree with you---due diligence and research must be done because the 4Cs on the market are presenting themselves in various condition (this btw bolsters the argument for the new "untouched" ones being worth more!) But in your case if you are hitting that 45-50k pricepoint on cars with the equipment/colors you want it would be worth perhaps investing in a plane ticket and checking them out....at the very least request some very detailed pictures....

·
Registered
51 Posts
My take is that these cars are already a bargain at the $10-20k off sticker most people pay. Even at full sticker Alfa probably lost money on every car sold - there is a reason you can't buy a car with a hand laid carbon fiber chassis for less than six figures. I'm as value oriented as anyone but you'll forget all about a couple grand here or there when that car is in your garage, they are special vehicles. You would be a in better mood today if you had one ;-)
Totally...totally agree...they are a ridiculous bargain...(45-50k...on a virtually new car....you are stealing them!) personally I'm glad it's not fully discovered yet 🤫

41 - 60 of 80 Posts