Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I've lost track of what this car is known as worldwide, but maybe the XV70 or XV80. In the USA, it is the Camry and sits one size up from the Corolla. Largest pic from dealer lot. Rest for reference from Car And Driver.

This is tuned by Toyota Racing Development (TRD) division. I have traded in my 2015 Audi A3 for some well-timed rebates and financing offers. Picking a daily driver is a big, big deal for me. I had 75,000 miles / 121000 kilometers of seat time with my 2015 Audi. Seriously considered an Audi S3, but I am tired of what German cars become past the 100,000 kilometers mark (expensive, unreliable, bland).

Camry TRD:

3.5L V6 / 301 hp / 267 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm / P235 / 40R 19"

Spent one weekend with it so far.

Quick Take: Naturally aspirated V6 with 8 gears to play with. Corners properly and flat, but have not pushed it to limit as I did my Audi regularly. Ride is firm and has not been harsh. Steering is ok. Engine is interesting, because without turbos, it is definitely rev happy (and in need of revs to thrive), and there is a bit of minor adaptation that is easily overcome (relearning how to hoon a NA V6). Heck of an engine, and the catback exhaust is tuned nicely. Bonus: No farting on shifts. Just a smooth roar up through redline.

The 8-speed is holding this thing back. A ZF 8-speed would be a dream. It's responsive and functional enough, for a hydraulic trans, even if you're used to sequential shifting found in dual-clutch autos. It just doesn't have an aggressive tune or inclination. The ZF is a hydraulic trans, but it is 95% of what a dual-clutch auto is, whereas this 8 speed is maybe 70%. It's good enough, but you know it's a tune away from being really good (it'll never sniff the ZF though). Paddle shifting is ok. Just ok.

It has two mufflers in line down the center of the car before it splits into a dual look, and while it sounds very good and deep with the TRD catback system, I have already heard another one with one or both mufflers removed, and it is absolutely magical sounding.

A month ago, I would never have considered this car. I did drive it, and I have over 1 million kilometers of seat time in sports sedans, so it was definitely good enough to go to war with me daily, and I needed to get away from more expensive brands that were less reliable. What would I daily if money were no object? Probably an Audi RS3. Coming out of the A3 and mastering how to toss that around, the RS3 would have been like a second superhero skin.

Anyway, I'd even be interested in hearing your criticism of its looks, performance, etc.

All good. Just wanted to share. It's actually one of the lower-priced Camry models and the cheapest V6 in the range.

Super Moderator
Nice. Spoiler is a bit overkill, but hey. Why not?

I daily a Honda Crosstour V6 AWD when not in my 4C for fun or my truck out of necessity, so I'm not that far removed from you here.
You don't need to go high-maintenance European for fun, utility, and economy (to buy and operate) when there are really good options like these out there.

Not sure it is going to help your street cred - LOL - but it's a solid car that you can probably put 400-500,000 Km on before you need to throw it out for the cost of repairs. You'll be sick of it and wishing it would just die so you can get something else, long before then! :D

Registered
When I'm not driving my turbo '90 Miata (255,000+ miles . . . will it ever die?), I'm in a Poncho G8. What a beast. Over 130K miles now -- only oil changes . . . and tires, lots of tires. It's actually fun to track, and you haven't lived until you've been black-flagged for passengers legs being out the window (they were pretty legs at least). All the Porsches that get passed just have to come look at the non-descript silver 4-door sedan that blew past them. LOL. RIP Holden.

Super Moderator
When I'm not driving my turbo '90 Miata (255,000+ miles . . . will it ever die?), I'm in a Poncho G8. What a beast. Over 130K miles now -- only oil changes . . . and tires, lots of tires. It's actually fun to track, and you haven't lived until you've been black-flagged for passengers legs being out the window (they were pretty legs at least). All the Porsches that get passed just have to come look at the non-descript silver 4-door sedan that blew past them. LOL. RIP Holden.
View attachment 103717
That looks a lot like our old Holden Commodore. What鈥檚 under the bonnet (hood)?

Registered
I can see a lot of Giulia influence in the rear end design of that Camry.
you know that comment is "VERY TELLING" to me at least.....exactly 'what' will be the 'real' differences in vehicle manufactures on a go forward electric platform basis? Everything will be 0-60 in nothing times ...so what would make me want a Ferrari over a Porsche over a Toyota over a Tesla etc, provided they all designed/build something (or copied something lol) cool? My loyalty and 'over'paying to certain brands may subside....GASP ;-)

Registered
They鈥檙e definitely going with aggressive styling on the Japanese standards lately. I saw a few of these on the road with the blacked out roof so I went to look at the auto show and was surprised to see that the black section is paint with an actual paint line on the c-pillar, not just staying on a body panel. I can鈥檛 think of any time I鈥檝e seen a mfg do that on a production car before.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I bought the car because of the suspension. The V6 is available in models such as the XSE Camry at 40,000 plus USD!! The same engine, but the XSE is a luxury barge; it's kind of mushy as a driver and still 'Camry-like' and not exactly interested in actually handling well.

The trans has been just fine so far in 'sport' mode with me (suggesting) shifts (we don't shift our cars, kids. We make suggestions). I particularly like the way you can make it work like both a DCT and a slushbox. I can select "2" at idle, then let the car do the 1-2 shift (whereas my selecting "2" at idle gave the car permission to use gears 1-2 only). I could choose 1 and then it will work like any other trans waiting for me to flick a paddle. Rolling in traffic is more pleasant now than in the Audi. Meh... I just creep along stress free now spinning hydraulic fluid instead of playing games in the Audi to keep from beating up clutches.

For 8,000 USD less, the TRD just gives up things like a power passenger seat (to hell with them!) and some other things to add lightness (good bye, dual zone climate control that I'd never use, etc).

I am kind of shocked at all the aero bits on this thing. Even the mirrors have winglets/vortex generators. Then they throw in red stripes into the skirts, splitter, etc. Rear wing is a bit much and the rear diffuser has multiple elements.

Unfortunately, the WRX boys and girls are going to be quite annoying.

I will be removing at least one muffler (leaving the TRD catback untouched)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts