Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

New Interior Decal Company Heads Up

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  OriginalForza 
#1 ·
Based in Italy, I'm awaiting several decals and will post pics on the quality and such for the window switches and the three dash menu buttons behind the wheel, plus some QV triangles.

Very cheap, about $5 per decal! They have various options, so I've gone with the 196 and 3M given they looked more like matte carbon than the "4D/5D".

This place seems to be the ONLY option for the MiTo pulled window switches... Strange given Koshi has covered the DNA but not this nor the eventually sticky hazard button. Come on Koshi! Give us carbon hazard and window replacement, at least covers!

#3 · (Edited)
Not yet... I feel the issue is the Italian Poste:

This says that it is in transit, "Pronta per la consegna, 2/7/2020 11:41pm" is basically when I ordered... But there's some crazy dates in regards to them "working on it"...
I swear, Italy has always been appropriately lax after Julius Ceasar, but holy shit have most of the new generation of Italians really proven just useless. Hats tilted millissimo grazie to all Italians still keeping the flame of craftsmanship or really exploring new technologies.

#7 ·
Ok, here it is... Arrived via snail mail
First the DNA Selector: surprised that the "name brand" 3M didn't seem to have as good laser cuts as the "196", and the "fiber" size of the 3M is larger than the OEM Real Carbon Fibers, so I chose the 196.
Idk if the pictures are enough to show the actual look, but ends up as a surprisingly nice, embossed leather/etched look for the otherwise plastic OEM.

#8 · (Edited)
Here's the finished stuff... NOTE(!) That the 196 fiber weave "direction" is "to the left" as the OEM carbon is "to the right" and the 3M follows (but with different sized weave) the OEM. I liked/preferred the pattern shift and homogeneous weave size the 196 gave. Eventually I will decide on either all carbon or copper/brass/Titanium 3D printed switches and gut the OEM to replace them. For now, I'm happy.
Also, yes, I have the full Koshi carbon console, but because of DNA/Hazard/Window controls utter lack of fitment, I'm still debating wether to wrap the lower OEM in alcantara and some red stitching, or modify the Koshi carbon piece to properly fit the modules. I am going for an all carbon feel, especially in five or ten years down the road this will turn into a full street-legal track car once a magical drivetrain appears from all this Cosworth/Freevalve/HCCI/Forged Internals goodness trickles into one "perfect"-enough, reliable, high-rev, operatic flat six to swap in.

#10 ·
#9 ·
And then the window switch... I'm happy with it, actually. Again, I went with the 196 to match, and again also had the better laser cuts. The large "cover" decal was the hardest of all the cuts to align right, and the sides of the "finger valley" are still exposed "sticky" plastics, but as heat melds it on, I feel it will age well.

#12 ·
L
You went to the effort of removing all the parts should of just hydrodipped them atleast then it’s gloss and looks real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
L
You went to the effort of removing all the parts should of just hydrodipped them atleast then it’s gloss and looks real

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not a fan of hydrodipping, also that I would have to send out and the car is my daily. Koshi makes a real carbon cover for the DNA, but not the windows and hazard (why not, Koshi/ @MADNESS Eric @MADNESSAutoworks ???) Which would have been an instant buy in matte if they add a window control cover/replacement and a hazard button frame cover/replacement.

Anyways, as all decals go, I really don't expect this to last long, so it's just a bridge to fully 3D printed replacements...

Now to decide if I keep all carbon, raw/brushed Titanium, skeletal copper/brass, or just wrap it in a thin alcantara.

#16 ·
It's the aircon controls, I customized an NA miata (you can see the process a bit in a thread "show us your one off and custom") unit, but decided to stop as you see it and instead build one from an NB miata unit due to improved function and easier CNC machined knobs. I am still deciding on either a thin, translucent piece of black marble or a 3D printed skeletal face, which will lend a more artesenal "watch like" piece, like either an MTM/Bell&Ross or a Corum/Hublot.

#18 ·
Update for posterity: decals on for 3 months now and still adhered perfectly, no erosion/rubbing yet despite now near daily usage and a track day. Finished taking a dremel (to fit the transmission peg's landings and the window control assembly in the too small holes) and some dense foam (for backing and tightening DNA/Hazard assemblies to not rattle in the too large holes) to the koshi center console, the fit of the transmission panel could be better but looks more like a Pagani interior now rather than a Fiat from the 90's with leather.
(Note although the decals have the identical koshi/OEM weave size, they do have a weave pattern that "goes the other way"... The contrast is cool but I know having it all match could be cleaner/less busy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.