Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I will be picking up my 2015 Alfa 4C after Thanksgiving. The 4C was the love at first sight since I first see the introduction photos in 2014. Despite there are many discontent from other drivers about this car, I really didn't mind a bit.
I owned an E30 M3 since 1991, this car was raw, totally sporty and track ready, and I managed to keep it and enjoyed it for many years. I also own a 1998 Boxster base, also manual transmission, mid engine, sits low, and really not much amenity in the cabin. My first car was a lame 1984 Mustang 2.3L w/o power steering, so I really don't mind the 4C lacks for power steering.
Frankly over 30 years owning the E30 M3, it was not one car in the market that can pull my heart away from it...until I see the 4C...it was love at first sight! and instantly I have a a change of heart!

Every Christmas told Santa I had been a good boy and finally he answered. Yeap, I will be driving the 4C in this holiday season.

I DO have only couple of questions though:
1) it's about the DCT, is it true that after pull the shift paddle and release the break, the gear is still NOT engage until the driver step on the gas paddle?
2) do I have to release the gas paddle to shift while driving/accelerating? The reason I ask this question is because driving a manual transmission car, I have to release the gas paddle while stepping on the clutch to shift up/down.

Finally, I wish all the Houston 4C owner will gather at a car meet one day, so that we can connect, exchange ideas, and admire each others car.

Happy motoring & peace on the road!

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
WELCOME and congratulations on the early Christmas present!!!

You must have been very good. Or maybe Santa felt sorry for you for driving the M3 for 2o years. (just kidding).

Re your questions:
1. The clutch slips in first gear at low speeds - the DCT is an automated manual gearbox with clutches being the only thing between engine and gears. So just like you do with your left foot in a 3-pedal car, the computer slips the clutch until you start to accelerate. Therefore, just like in a 3 pedal car, you do not creep at idle in gear, or hold yourself on a hill with the throttle and transmission. Unless you enjoy premature clutch replacement. Either have your foot on the gas or on the brake pedal while in gear.

2. You do not need to lift for upshifts or blip the throttle for the downshifts. Computer does all of that. Even in Automatic mode, the shifts can be pretty dramatic!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Welcome to "soon to be" 4C owner's club. There are quite a few Houston owners floating around. It is a blast to drive, just be a touch careful in the rain as you are likely not use to mid-engine dynamics.

Reactions: Raymond L

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
I always prided my skill with a manual trans...have a really good heel and toe when downshifting to keep the rpms matched to the next gear. Handy when I raced an ALFA GTV in SCCA. But the 4C DCT does it perfectly every time....better than I could ever do every time with perfect up and down shift rpm matching. And if you try to do something like trying to downshift at too high of speed that would overrev the engine....it politely beeps at you and won't let you do it. I would be careful of a full throttle blast shift between 1st and 2nd on slippery surfaces. You can spin the tires and that could be a bit exciting if traction is limited. The ABS and stability control will help save your bacon but something to think about. Also....when the ambient temperatures are down in 40s the stock PZero's become hockey puck hard so easy to break the tires loose.
To get used to the dynamics of a mid engine torquey car you may want to play in the rain in a parking lot to learn how it reacts.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

As @4Canada eluded to, the car will behave like a manual on a hill. As soon as you take your foot off the brake, it will roll backwards until you accelerate.

Reactions: Raymond L

·
Administrator
17,625 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

As @4Canada eluded to, the car will behave like a manual on a hill. As soon as you take your foot off the brake, it will roll backwards until you accelerate.
Mine does this too, although it is supposed to have a hill holder function (brake release delayed) I find that is pretty fussy and does not work as expected about 90% of the time!

Yes, treat the car like a 3 pedal manual and you'll get along well, though.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Mine does this too, although it is supposed to have a hill holder function (brake release delayed) I find that is pretty fussy and does not work as expected about 90% of the time!

Yes, treat the car like a 3 pedal manual and you'll get along well, though.
For me it seems to only work on modest inclines. Anything more severe, I don't have any hill holder function 100% of the time.

Reactions: 4Canada

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always prided my skill with a manual trans...have a really good heel and toe when downshifting to keep the rpms matched to the next gear. Handy when I raced an ALFA GTV in SCCA. But the 4C DCT does it perfectly every time....better than I could ever do every time with perfect up and down shift rpm matching. And if you try to do something like trying to downshift at too high of speed that would overrev the engine....it politely beeps at you and won't let you do it. I would be careful of a full throttle blast shift between 1st and 2nd on slippery surfaces. You can spin the tires and that could be a bit exciting if traction is limited. The ABS and stability control will help save your bacon but something to think about. Also....when the ambient temperatures are down in 40s the stock PZero's become hockey puck hard so easy to break the tires loose.
To get used to the dynamics of a mid engine torquey car you may want to play in the rain in a parking lot to learn how it reacts.
Thanks for the PZero in sub 40 warning, I only had experience with Pirrelli snow tires when I drove my E30 M3 in Boston.
I also drive a 986 Boxster which is a mid-engine car, 5 speed manual, and I agreed with you, the vehicle dynamic is totally different comparing to front-engine cars. Fun, fun, fun.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
If we did that here some do-gooder would send a video to the police and you’d get your car confiscated and be fined thousands for hooning. Then there’d be a piece in the media about hoons in Supercars. Call it paranoia, but I even worry about videos being taken of our quick overtaking . It hasn’t happened yet but some vindictive bastard in a Camry, SUV or horse-float towing vehicle is bound to do it sooner or later. Vent over.

Enjoy your 4C @Raymond L , flat changes are seamless. No need to lift. If you do lift you’ll actually encourage rough changes. I keep my foot on the brake when at idle and in gear, just as I would when stationary in a manual. In fact, apart from the lack of a clutch pedal, I drive my 4C as I would any of my manual cars (and motorcycles….as they have sequential gearboxes too).

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
The Hill Holder feature is discussed in the owners manual. You have to have the car at an angle greater than a given amount....don't recall what that is right now. I never use it for one major issue.....it will hold the car but only for a few seconds. Not wanting to suddenly roll into the car behind me, I instead use either the hand brake or left foot braking when on a hill. And never slip the clutch to hold it on a hill....just like a regular manual trans/clutch....it will quickly wear the clutch out.
I still recommend doing some testing on wet surface to learn the dynamics of the car. Where I live there is no problem finding an out of the way big lot to do so and no issue with complaints as long as you don't get crazy. If your area is not safe for that, find an autocross that will be in the rain.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The 4C has no "creep mode" built in. You wanna go, press the go pedal.

It will downshift for you. It gives you all the chance to, even in manual mode, but since it ain't gonna stay in gear until it stalls, it'll downshift with a Rev match for ya to save you.

Just do all the smart go pedal shit ones does with a manual to not destroy/ride the clutch and you're good to go.

You will find the Rev limiter a lot, which only requires you pull your finger an eight of an inch to avoid, but the frigging gears are so short and the top end tune so aggressive that it'll bang off the Rev limiter before your brain signal makes your fingers flick the paddle. 100 percent the most comical reason why there is no case for a manual trans and clutch pedal.

A true manual on this car would make it a clown show.

Also don't mind that there is no money shift thread with dozens of people stuck with blown engines waiting almost a year for a new engine.

And the trans will hold 2nd as you roll through intersections and stop signs at 1.5 MPH, just like we'd do in our manuals. Such a pleasure.

90 percent of all issues raised are from a lack of driving. The car gods have blessed us. Italian tune ups live on in 2021.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
In manual mode as you slow down....it will still auto downshift to prevent lugging the engine. In other words in manual you can just leave the down shifting to the computer unless you are on track and want to downshift yourself before getting into a corner. Also....some people have the car for a while before realizing you don't have to put the trans in 1 using the button on the console to start moving after first starting the car. If you tap your right paddle it will do the same thing.
If you drive in AUTO mode you will notice that when you go from the N mode to D mode, it will hold gears longer before shifting than it did in N mode. However, I rarely use the AUTO mode...I like the manual shift mode much more....lots more fun ;-)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Other issue never noted by manual trans diehards is that when you have the go pedal stomped and hit that next gear milliseconds later, the boost is on the whole time, with a nice fart out the exhaust as confirmation.

If it was a true manual, pressing the clutch pedal, lifting your right foot, and dropping the boost would kill the thrill.

·
Registered
102 Posts
@RKBerta or @Philster, since you seem to know alot about the clutch...

In Manual or Race mode, is it possible to blow the engine? Ie, will the car let you just slam the gas in first gear to max revs or will it upshift for you to save the car?

Not something I'm willing to experiment with, but have wondered about, and it's a big reason i dont use manual mode, for fear of forgetting to shift and killing the car. In all the true-manual cars I've driven this is never a prob cause I'm very aware that I must shift, but for some reason in paddle-shift cars, I cant get my mind into that mode.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Is that a theory, or has it been proven? Even better if personally proven, rather than heresay.
It's a fact. Yes, programming. Yes proven. Not unique to the 4C. No modern auto or automated manual will allow it.

I have hit the rev limiter accelerating (as hopefully all 4C owners have), and I have heard the 'beep' for declined downshifts numerous times -- most often on a bumpy section where my fingers flick the paddle one legit time and one accidental time immediately after, and you will get denied that accidental shift with a beep, and then you can thank the car gods you didn't just blow 10 -15 g's on an engine.

At no time are you ever shifting, even in manual mode. You are making shift requests, which are granted or declined in an imperceptible amount of time, to give the illusion that your request was in fact a direct shift action.

You cannot over rev and money shift (grenade) the engine with a dumb downshift request that severely over revs the engine and results in spun bearings, etc -- and you cannot over rev by flying up the rev band in any gear (you'll hit the rev limiter).

Flicking the paddles initiates a request that either meets the parameters for safe operation or does not.

Go have fun. You cannot grenade the engine with bad shift (request) habits. Modern hydraulic automatics (slushboxes) found in everyday cars and truck, and direct drive automated manuals found in some common cars/trucks and numerous enthusiast vehicles (e.g., the 4C) have computers that allow or deny our requests.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts