Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
I always prided my skill with a manual trans...have a really good heel and toe when downshifting to keep the rpms matched to the next gear. Handy when I raced an ALFA GTV in SCCA. But the 4C DCT does it perfectly every time....better than I could ever do every time with perfect up and down shift rpm matching. And if you try to do something like trying to downshift at too high of speed that would overrev the engine....it politely beeps at you and won't let you do it. I would be careful of a full throttle blast shift between 1st and 2nd on slippery surfaces. You can spin the tires and that could be a bit exciting if traction is limited. The ABS and stability control will help save your bacon but something to think about. Also....when the ambient temperatures are down in 40s the stock PZero's become hockey puck hard so easy to break the tires loose.
To get used to the dynamics of a mid engine torquey car you may want to play in the rain in a parking lot to learn how it reacts.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
The Hill Holder feature is discussed in the owners manual. You have to have the car at an angle greater than a given amount....don't recall what that is right now. I never use it for one major issue.....it will hold the car but only for a few seconds. Not wanting to suddenly roll into the car behind me, I instead use either the hand brake or left foot braking when on a hill. And never slip the clutch to hold it on a hill....just like a regular manual trans/clutch....it will quickly wear the clutch out.
I still recommend doing some testing on wet surface to learn the dynamics of the car. Where I live there is no problem finding an out of the way big lot to do so and no issue with complaints as long as you don't get crazy. If your area is not safe for that, find an autocross that will be in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
In manual mode as you slow down....it will still auto downshift to prevent lugging the engine. In other words in manual you can just leave the down shifting to the computer unless you are on track and want to downshift yourself before getting into a corner. Also....some people have the car for a while before realizing you don't have to put the trans in 1 using the button on the console to start moving after first starting the car. If you tap your right paddle it will do the same thing.
If you drive in AUTO mode you will notice that when you go from the N mode to D mode, it will hold gears longer before shifting than it did in N mode. However, I rarely use the AUTO mode...I like the manual shift mode much more....lots more fun ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
Is that a theory, or has it been proven? Even better if personally proven, rather than heresay.
Do not worry. The computer "mom" protects itself unlike a manual trans which will let you do stupid things. As far as I know all of the ECU upgrades maintain those same safety parameters but you would need to check with individual models such as the highest level race versions. And yes....rev limiters and downshift over rev protection works from personal experience.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,601 Posts
I forgot to answer one of your other questions. If in AUTO mode it will auto shift to the next higher gear when it needs to. In manual it will NOT shift to the next higher gear. Instead it will pull power and stay in that same gear....but not accelerating any more. So yes.....when a full throttle blast in manual, when the tach changes to yellow you need to upshift with the paddle. The reason it won't do it automatically in manual is that in some cases (like in autocross) you would let it hit the rev limiter but not up or down shift if it is right at the point when you slow for a corner yet want to stay in the best gear for that particular section of the course. Some of this is more applicable if you do left foot breaking in autocross or on track but something you need not concern yourself about for normal use.
And as I mentioned before...in manual mode it will automatically down shift as you slow down. You an see this by just slowing to a stop in manual mode....but not using paddles to downshift. This is a protection for the turbo and engine. You would not want to let a turbo engine slow down to a crawl in a much higher gear and than stomp on the gas in manual mode. In auto shift mode it is OK because it will downshift when you hit the throttle hard. In manual it also protects itself by downshifting even if you don't....but still I would avoid lugging the engine in a higher gear than giving full throttle.
It is a pretty smart computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts