Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I will be picking up my 2015 Alfa 4C after Thanksgiving. The 4C was the love at first sight since I first see the introduction photos in 2014. Despite there are many discontent from other drivers about this car, I really didn't mind a bit.
I owned an E30 M3 since 1991, this car was raw, totally sporty and track ready, and I managed to keep it and enjoyed it for many years. I also own a 1998 Boxster base, also manual transmission, mid engine, sits low, and really not much amenity in the cabin. My first car was a lame 1984 Mustang 2.3L w/o power steering, so I really don't mind the 4C lacks for power steering.
Frankly over 30 years owning the E30 M3, it was not one car in the market that can pull my heart away from it...until I see the 4C...it was love at first sight! and instantly I have a a change of heart!

Every Christmas told Santa I had been a good boy and finally he answered. Yeap, I will be driving the 4C in this holiday season.

I DO have only couple of questions though:
1) it's about the DCT, is it true that after pull the shift paddle and release the break, the gear is still NOT engage until the driver step on the gas paddle?
2) do I have to release the gas paddle to shift while driving/accelerating? The reason I ask this question is because driving a manual transmission car, I have to release the gas paddle while stepping on the clutch to shift up/down.

Finally, I wish all the Houston 4C owner will gather at a car meet one day, so that we can connect, exchange ideas, and admire each others car.

Happy motoring & peace on the road!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome and congrats!

As @4Canada eluded to, the car will behave like a manual on a hill. As soon as you take your foot off the brake, it will roll backwards until you accelerate.
That's it! you have just answered my question in the best way. Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always prided my skill with a manual trans...have a really good heel and toe when downshifting to keep the rpms matched to the next gear. Handy when I raced an ALFA GTV in SCCA. But the 4C DCT does it perfectly every time....better than I could ever do every time with perfect up and down shift rpm matching. And if you try to do something like trying to downshift at too high of speed that would overrev the engine....it politely beeps at you and won't let you do it. I would be careful of a full throttle blast shift between 1st and 2nd on slippery surfaces. You can spin the tires and that could be a bit exciting if traction is limited. The ABS and stability control will help save your bacon but something to think about. Also....when the ambient temperatures are down in 40s the stock PZero's become hockey puck hard so easy to break the tires loose.
To get used to the dynamics of a mid engine torquey car you may want to play in the rain in a parking lot to learn how it reacts.
Thanks for the PZero in sub 40 warning, I only had experience with Pirrelli snow tires when I drove my E30 M3 in Boston.
I also drive a 986 Boxster which is a mid-engine car, 5 speed manual, and I agreed with you, the vehicle dynamic is totally different comparing to front-engine cars. Fun, fun, fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
WELCOME and congratulations on the early Christmas present!!!

You must have been very good. Or maybe Santa felt sorry for you for driving the M3 for 2o years. (just kidding).

Re your questions:
1. The clutch slips in first gear at low speeds - the DCT is an automated manual gearbox with clutches being the only thing between engine and gears. So just like you do with your left foot in a 3-pedal car, the computer slips the clutch until you start to accelerate. Therefore, just like in a 3 pedal car, you do not creep at idle in gear, or hold yourself on a hill with the throttle and transmission. Unless you enjoy premature clutch replacement. Either have your foot on the gas or on the brake pedal while in gear.

2. You do not need to lift for upshifts or blip the throttle for the downshifts. Computer does all of that. Even in Automatic mode, the shifts can be pretty dramatic!

Enjoy!
I drove my 4C for couple of miles for the TX State inspection, and yes, the shifting is quite dramatic, I like it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Alright, guys. I got the car, drove it and absolutely loved it!
One question though, I am only 5.3" and the seat was set at the lowest position, even though I can still managed to drive the car safely, I would like to raise the seat a notch so that I can see the front better. I search the forums and have find out many of fellow 4Cers do the adjustment by themselves, sounds very simple. I am quite handy fixing cars, and have all the right tools, I fixed my M3, Boxster, and my SUV, so I am not afraid to take the seat away from the monocoque, and do the adjustment, I only intend to adjust the driver seat. Couple questions though:

• are there any sensor wires (SRS, etc) under the driver seat that I have to disconnect?
  • what else I have to pay attention other than not put any scratches on the car?
  • what are the torque values for the bolts?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Check the Engine & Technical section of the forum.
There is a sticky thread “DIY and Technical Reference”.
This contains links to all kinds of DIY threads, including seat height adjustment.
Sadly, many photos on early threads here used Photobucket, which stopped allowing pictures to be embedded in other sites, so those are lost. But later posts have pictures to compensate, and the text is pretty thorough.

Definitely put towels on the tub to prevent scratches.
I did mine with the seats in, so no disconnection required, but otherwise yes. It is hard to get to the connector with the seat at its lowest position.
Not sure the torque value is specified, but the limited access to the bolt heads holding the sliders to the tub makes it hard to use a torque tool. I think that most of us tightened them somewhere between an “umph” and an “aaaaahhhhhhrrrrgh”. ;)
How do you raise the seat with the seat in? you DO have to take of the four track-screws, yeah? I see the three screws outside by the door sill are accessible without touching the track screws, but the inside is not accessible. I figured if I remove the four track-screws, and then just raise the whole seat up by putting styrofoam under the seat (tracks), I should be able to loosen the three screws inside and no need to detach the sensor wires (if the wires are long enough for me to raise the whole seat.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hello Everyone, Happy Holiday!
We have been talking about Houston 4C car meet for some time, I think it's time for us to meet at once.

I suggest the time should be after the Christmas holiday and before the New year.
New Year Eve will be on Friday this year, I hope everyone will have the day off on the 31st and can spare some time out to meet for a cup of coffee or lunch at a nice place for us to show case our 4C.

Please follow this thread to give some ideas on a fun and constructive group meet. Thank you.

Best Wishes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts