Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
Is that a theory, or has it been proven? Even better if personally proven, rather than heresay.
Second the "yes" here - don't think that after a half dozen years with these cars that many of us haven't managed to do just about every stupid thing imaginable to them.

Many of us track our cars, and they have a much harder life than yours will on the street.
An UN-TUNED car will bounce off the rev limiter all day long, before it damages the engine.
That's in Dynamic or Race. In Natural or All Weather I believe that the car will simply up-shift for you even in Manual mode.
If you try a downshift that would over-rev, the computer will ignore your request - you will hear a chime and the gear will not change.

I cannot speak to a TUNED ECU or TCU, as there are different tunes out there. Some do raise the redline, but you would have to ask the tuner how they deal with the rest.

Worst thing that you can do (and the car will let you get away with) is lugging the engine by trying to accelerate hard in Manual mode in too high of a gear. But that is true of all engines, especially smaller turbocharged ones.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,451 Posts
Is that a theory, or has it been proven? Even better if personally proven, rather than heresay.
Do not worry. The computer "mom" protects itself unlike a manual trans which will let you do stupid things. As far as I know all of the ECU upgrades maintain those same safety parameters but you would need to check with individual models such as the highest level race versions. And yes....rev limiters and downshift over rev protection works from personal experience.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,451 Posts
I forgot to answer one of your other questions. If in AUTO mode it will auto shift to the next higher gear when it needs to. In manual it will NOT shift to the next higher gear. Instead it will pull power and stay in that same gear....but not accelerating any more. So yes.....when a full throttle blast in manual, when the tach changes to yellow you need to upshift with the paddle. The reason it won't do it automatically in manual is that in some cases (like in autocross) you would let it hit the rev limiter but not up or down shift if it is right at the point when you slow for a corner yet want to stay in the best gear for that particular section of the course. Some of this is more applicable if you do left foot breaking in autocross or on track but something you need not concern yourself about for normal use.
And as I mentioned before...in manual mode it will automatically down shift as you slow down. You an see this by just slowing to a stop in manual mode....but not using paddles to downshift. This is a protection for the turbo and engine. You would not want to let a turbo engine slow down to a crawl in a much higher gear and than stomp on the gas in manual mode. In auto shift mode it is OK because it will downshift when you hit the throttle hard. In manual it also protects itself by downshifting even if you don't....but still I would avoid lugging the engine in a higher gear than giving full throttle.
It is a pretty smart computer.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts