Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2016 alfa 4c
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Beau, are you thinking something along the lines of like this, using the two cupholders on the existing center console to hold the armrest in place. Link
View attachment 114995

I once had a car with an armrest with a hidden cup holder -- open the lid, flip the cupholder out the front, and then close the armrest lid. That type of design (only with phone holder) could position the phone just above the hand brake lever, and also hidden out of sight when not being used.
something like this, hopefully much better looking haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Guys,

Started a new project for the center console controls to fit directly over the stock components. I realized after trying to build out the whole center console that it would be too much work and also too expensive. So I made a simple kit to fit right over the existing center console and work on both stock and carbon fiber upgraded console. started with a few 3D printed parts below to get the fit right, next order is to make it in aluminum like the renderings below with knurl finishes to match my other upgraded climate controls. Once I get the parts made I can upload a video for install, no need for re-wiring, uses all stock electronics
View attachment 114806 View attachment 114807
love it

·
Registered
787 Posts
Question @designbybeau
I have the koshi carbon center console, so can you consider making a transparent/resin/lexan/etc version with black anodized knobs? Wherever the transparent becomes a problem (seeing the knob "guts"/where the 3m strips attach, etc), just make a carbon or "black-out" sticker to cover in those areas on the back ... Maybe even an alfa logo or pattern. Easy, cheap, and I'll install it myself to save you complexity... I'm sure I won't be the only one.

The black aluminum is acceptable, especially if you can brush/texture it high endy, but covering all that beautiful carbon would kinda be a downer is all. Otherwise, maybe have someone wrap it in leather with stitching (also sort of double as an arm rest)? I prefer a cheaper, nicer acrylic tho, but having flexible options like that would likely retire you in sales lol.

Of course, beautiful, and thanks for doing this. Hopefully more of us can support you/this sort of behavior 🍀

·
Registered
2016 alfa 4c
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Question @designbybeau
I have the koshi carbon center console, so can you consider making a transparent/resin/lexan/etc version with black anodized knobs? Wherever the transparent becomes a problem (seeing the knob "guts"/where the 3m strips attach, etc), just make a carbon or "black-out" sticker to cover in those areas on the back ... Maybe even an alfa logo or pattern. Easy, cheap, and I'll install it myself to save you complexity... I'm sure I won't be the only one.

The black aluminum is acceptable, especially if you can brush/texture it high endy, but covering all that beautiful carbon would kinda be a downer is all. Otherwise, maybe have someone wrap it in leather with stitching (also sort of double as an arm rest)? I prefer a cheaper, nicer acrylic tho, but having flexible options like that would likely retire you in sales lol.

Of course, beautiful, and thanks for doing this. Hopefully more of us can support you/this sort of behavior 🍀
I just purchased the koshi carbon center console to go with it. My take is there is already so much carbon in the interior that is needs a break of some sort. having it in clear probably wont work because there is too much going on underneath including the 3M tape to hold it in place. Acrylic would be a cheaper option, but may also make it look cheaper and eliminate the purpose.

My first version is coming in all black anodized because I have an all black model. I think it will be very understated and match well, but I can leave it up to the consumer to wrap it in leather if they want to, maybe @lars can do this if someone wants.to, but again, will end up costing more and more money-

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sounds good, no doubt it will sit beautiful, just spitballing the open mind... Lol sign me up if it comes all black and all knurled haha

Some might say I was going for an S&M feel for my interior - "paint it black"

·
Registered
2016 alfa 4c
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
first parts coming in look pretty good so far. I wish I could say the same for the koshi carbon fiber center console that
I ordered, the parts are very much not to spec. window controls don't fit ( had to Dremel out a section) hazard and drive mode have too much clearance and fall right out! then I had to drill out the mounting bracket points, because they decided to put different size bolts in that it originally came with it. I am lucky that I am replacing the buttons with these, because that part would not fit right at all! I assume they had this sitting around as a return from another consumer, there is no way any one would accept a part like this. I know carbon is not the most accurate as I have made parts myself, but this was really bad.

Home appliance Gadget Material property Font Audio equipment

White Light Product Camera accessory Gadget
Table Automotive lighting Lamp Headgear Audio equipment
Black Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive tire Font

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks really cool but I agree with some others that it doesn’t fit the 4C. There’s a reason why the 4C has plastic pieces. They intended to build the lightest car possible in every little way. Which is awesome. I think taking the 4C and placing 3M sticky covers over things isn’t right. If it was replacing a piece with carbon then that’s a different story. Other than this again the design and thought is great!

·
Registered
2016 alfa 4c
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Looks really cool but I agree with some others that it doesn’t fit the 4C. There’s a reason why the 4C has plastic pieces. They intended to build the lightest car possible in every little way. Which is awesome. I think taking the 4C and placing 3M sticky covers over things isn’t right. If it was replacing a piece with carbon then that’s a different story. Other than this again the design and thought is great!
The largest part in aluminum top cover weighs in at 0.3 pounds ( and could have been thinner). and if it where made from factory from the start, it could have been all done close to same weight. Aluminum can be made thinner than plastic and weigh somewhat insignificant in small parts. Also possible to make a really thin stamped sheet metal cover that would weight almost nothing. Carbon fiber is obviously the lightest material and maybe titanium second. in other words you can make a nice looking interior without adding significant weight with design and material choices, but the main factor is budget-

In other words you cant believe the brochure that plastic is for weight savings, its for saving money over anything else and understandably as every car is on a budget and target price range.

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 on this design. I'm the proud owner of some of @designbybeau's other work (HVAC knobs, lock+ levers, paddle shifters) and I can confirm the strength of his design skills and of the production quality. I'll happily be ordering this when it's available.

·
Registered
2016 alfa 4c
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So... When can you take our money, @designbybeau ? The plastic controls are already greying and delaminating. Please offer a version without the alfa romeo logo!
I tried to do a poll on FB to sell, unfortunately its either too expensive for most, or just not enough interest. I need to get a minimum order of 40-50 units to get price point down far enough for it to be reasonable priced.

sad to say, but most 4C owners are not the consumers to sell to on a higher end market price point. I think most don't realize how much it costs to make products in small quantities-

Either way, I will keep making fun stuff for my car because I enjoy it! on to the steering wheel next and maybe an arm rest.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried to do a poll on FB to sell, unfortunately its either too expensive for most, or just not enough interest. I need to get a minimum order of 40-50 units to get price point down far enough for it to be reasonable priced.

sad to say, but most 4C owners are not the consumers to sell to on a higher end market price point. I think most don't realize how much it costs to make products in small quantities-

Either way, I will keep making fun stuff for my car because I enjoy it! on to the steering wheel next and maybe an arm rest.
Out of curiosity, what would be the cost for say quantity of 10 or quantity of 20? I realize there many not be 40-50 owners who are interested, but the few of us who are (maybe 10 -20) might be willing to spend a little more to get something rare. Maybe?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts