Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2016 alfa 4c
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Out of curiosity, what would be the cost for say quantity of 10 or quantity of 20? I realize there many not be 40-50 owners who are interested, but the few of us who are (maybe 10 -20) might be willing to spend a little more to get something rare. Maybe?
probably around 2,200 per unit. its just too much and makes no sense at that point. the price would increase even farther the smaller the number, so its hard to give exact price depending on how many orders.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I tried to do a poll on FB to sell, unfortunately its either too expensive for most, or just not enough interest. I need to get a minimum order of 40-50 units to get price point down far enough for it to be reasonable priced.

sad to say, but most 4C owners are not the consumers to sell to on a higher end market price point. I think most don't realize how much it costs to make products in small quantities-

Either way, I will keep making fun stuff for my car because I enjoy it! on to the steering wheel next and maybe an arm rest.
Just saying: Try us. Wont hurt to DM the interested with a price for X sold. Some of us are also not against buying multiples...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't really consider this 'Bling'. For it's me it's what I wish Alfa Romeo would have done -- the same goes for Beau's toggle covers, knobs, paddles, and now his armrest. And don't even get started on the steering wheel and the cheezy use of an aftermarket stereo (even if it is a good one)... Yes, I know they were trying to save money, but compared to the rest of the design & performance the interior is almost embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the statement about the interior being embarrassing. It is very much appropriate to the focus and emphasis of this car, and quite a nice use of most materials, especially on an LE or comparably equipped 4Cs.

Do people tend to call the Elise’s interior embarrassing? Usually not, because it is consistent with what the car is. Likewise the 4C’s interior, which is a lot nicer and more luxurious, is also consistent with the Italian hypercar philosophy.

Can a car with an entirely exposed carbon interior ever really be called embarrassing? Not in my book. And if so that’s the kind of embarrassment I’ll be happy to take any day of the week.

And remember, with regards to saving money… when Volkswagen/Porsche/Audi group saves money it’s to realize an even more enormous profit margin. When Alfa does it, it was to lose just a little less on every 4c.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I respect your opinion, however, when showing off the 4C I wouldn't even open the door if it weren't for the beautiful carbon-fiber tub. The interior on the Elise may be stark, but it's consistently & intentionally without style. Although the 4C has more features and comfort the interior is still a kluge.

For what it's worth, I've owned several Audi & VW's. Even though the interiors may lack supercar style, they all have a clean style that doesn't look as though they rummaged through the parts bin.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I actually do hear what you're saying, and appreciate the point you make about the Elise and VAG interiors being self-consistent.
The Alfa interior in comparison overperforms in some areas (carbon and beautiful leather and alcantara) and then underperforms in some other (imo very minor) areas. And what I realize about that, is that this is oh-so Italian, and seems completely normal and acceptable among folks who have owned lots of Italian cars, yet admittedly it would seem odd to those not quite as used to the odd mix and match that have always been a part of Italian auto manufacturing, but is increasingly less seen with other manufacturers. Still those little things that remind me of my old X1/9s are part of the 4C's charm for me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I respect your opinion, however, when showing off the 4C I wouldn't even open the door if it weren't for the beautiful carbon-fiber tub. The interior on the Elise may be stark, but it's consistently & intentionally without style. Although the 4C has more features and comfort the interior is still a kluge.

For what it's worth, I've owned several Audi & VW's. Even though the interiors may lack supercar style, they all have a clean style that doesn't look as though they rummaged through the parts bin.
The 4C interior with the leather trim looks good to me, never thought it looked cheap. Have never seen a 4C without the leather trim.
If desired, you can easily improve on it per the aftermarket (Koshi, Design by Beau, Lars). I've added some of this to my car. It's an easy and enjoyable thing to do. You do not have be "Joe Mechanic" to do this, as it is pretty simple. Take a look at what is available. I think that you will find that, if wanted, you could cover every piece of 4C plastic with leather or carbon fiber.
"ridding your car of plastic, one piece at a time" Where have I heard that before ?:unsure: :)

I have always thought of the 4C as a sports car, not necessarily as a luxury sports car. If wanted, there are plenty of luxury sports cars out there.
I will admit that I like the Lotus Elise interior, as raw as it is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, the leather is nice -- no issue there. Absolutely love that they exposed the CF Tub -- that is possibly my favorite thing about the car aesthetically and functionally! Seats aren't bad, and I can live with some plastic on things like door cards, rear bulkhead, pillars -- I'm not even freaked out about the center console being plastic (although I will probably replace it with CF or Lar's leather in the future).

This thread was about the center console controls and a beautiful aluminum center console cover which I think would be a great improvement over the stock collections of controls that have no continuity. In the list of things that have no continuity I also include: toggle covers, knobs, paddles, steering wheel, and stereo. This is what I refer to as a kluge.

Thanks for the discussion guys! Just further illustrates that we all have a different thought of what the 4C should be or is. Some want a luxury sports car, others an awesome track car -- I'm somewhere in between. Nice thing is that if don't like the way it comes from the factory, guys like SCARA73, GMS, Lars, Beau & others enable us to 4C to be whatever we want it to be!

Have a great weekend, -JM

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Indeed good discussion.

I happen to be extremely bothered by the plastic paddles. Others don't mind so much. If I could get replacement alloy paddles that were easy to install and worked every bit as ruggedly as the OEM ones, I'd do so immediately.

And it's true that part of the fun of these cars is the interior mods that can be done, and I did cover the rear bulkhead (which always gave the convincing impression of being more metal-like than plastic) with one of Lars's beautiful diamond quilted panels.

I had a Lotus Elise and I loved its unapologetically spartan race car interior.

I love the equally racey but more luxurious 4C interior, and plastic HVAC controls off of a Mito just don't bother me (while the flexy plastic paddles do). I also now have to go out and look over my LE for plastic on the doors. I think it's all leather, but I'll go look.

I had a Porsche of a similar model year to my 4C, and even though all the interior parts and the VW switchgear were all well integrated stylistically and feel-wise, the total effect was ordinary. It summed up to a completely generic and ubiquitously pleasant interior. The 4C, on the other hand, always feels like a extraordinary place, to me at least.

And in this business, everything is a zero-sum game. So anything that goes into one area, comes out of another, with a car, unless truly unlimited resources. So it comes down to the owner matching what (s)he prioritizes with what a manufacturer prioritizes for a particular model. One can't have it all. So did I buy my Porsche for the interior? No. I bought it for the dry-sump atmospheric flat-6, longitudinally mounted midship with the gearbox sticking out the back like a formula 1 car from earlier times. Would I have bought the 4C with whatever interior Alfa felt they were able to provide? Yep!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts