Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So did anyone else watch it tonight? Pile of shite, Chris Harris could do so much better by himself. Its a joke the BBC churns this out and expects us to lap it up, childish stunts and jokes, nothing interesting, no real compassion for cars, apart from Chris who is held back by clowns. Better stuff on YouTube by people who love cars and involve the viewer.

edit, maybe this should be in car lounge discussion. ? :D:unsure:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say all that climbing into cars without touching ground was just Bollocks. And for what ?
I cringed when they had their shoes on the paintwork and even standing on the roof, disgusting behaviour from 'car enthusiasts' :sick: , I thought this will only encourage idiots to walk over cars when pissed up.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Yeah, it's really gone downhill ever since Clarkson et al left. But in fairness, the show had pretty much run its course by that point anyway.
Other than the review of "holy trinity" cars from a few years ago, and a handful of new models every now and again, there was very little that hadn't already been done before their departure. And it is really hard to get pumped over the latest Civic Type R or C-class Merc, so the show keeps having to try to top itself.

Much of what the original cast did was already rubbish. The British Rail episode was borderline cringeworthy. Many of the "challenges" were just plain stupid. They did their best stuff in the early days, and although the cinematography and editing would improve on an epic scale in later years, the scripts were hit and miss. Even the trip specials got dumber and dumber as the years progressed. The first one, to the Milau Viaduct in France, was really epic. The Veyron vs the Cessna still interesting because of the car. Loved Botswana. But by the time they did some stuff in USA, Burma, and South America it too much resembled Keystone Cops or the Three Stooges.

C'mon, "Auntie". Let it die a dignified death. Don't milk it like a rented cow.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So tonight the trio had older supercars for a challenge, Chris had a beautiful F40, Freddie a jag 220 and nob head a Lamborghini Diablo which he stupidly smashed up in the first five minutes. Totally ruined the challenge, was so looking forward to the 3 cars together, the sound and excitement, 250 grand car and he lost it on a straight road, and he had borrowed it. Why oh why?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I actually think they're doing the best they can really do. At least they've found a line-up that have some chemistry, unlike the woeful Chris Evans series.

Ultimately shows like Top Gear used to be don't work anymore, nowadays 99% of motoring news is through YouTube. You can see the new car you're interested in day one in amazing quality presented by the person you most like. It's not like it used to be when you'd wait a whole year for Top Gear and it would your first taste of a new car (Enzo launch springs to mind, incredible episode). I don't want/need that type of journalism from TG, YouTube does it better than TG ever could - so now it's just a funny entertainment show that has some car bits. Works for me!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Think you've hit it on the head there Chris, hence why it's now on BBC 1 (other than the fact they've got nothing new to show as well). It's now purely for popular entertainment rather than motoring journalism. I'm waiting for the episode on the Isle of Fernandos (aka Tenerife), no likey no lighty... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Managed to buy a cheap Roku streaming device for £16 and subscribed to Prime video. Last night watched the first episode of Grand Tour, really enjoyed it, it was the one with the maclaren, Ferrari and Porsche spider.

At the very start when they are all charging across a desert Whacky races style I spotted a red 4C amongst them !

Should have plenty of episodes to watch this winter, how many have they filmed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts