Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

Registered
2016 4C Spider + 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
Alright, here it is : starting tomorrow til monday, for any order a kit, you get two pieces of 4C swag (keychain, bottle opener, shirt or hat) Happy Thanksgiving to you all! 254Corsa.com
Happy Thanksgiving back! Ordering now - thanks for putting this out!

Registered
Thbak you @Max Tayant! Ordered the short kit sans wheel Nov 27 at night, kit came in Nov 30 in the AM (Lightning fast!) And beat the "daily/test" steering wheel from DND by a whole week... Today just received the wheel and completed install:

Nice and well packed, + swag (took a touch of sanding and thinking of powder coating it to match the car!) Thanks to Black Friday!

Registered
LE #350
Discussion Starter #45
Thbak you @Max Tayant! Ordered the short kit sans wheel Nov 27 at night, kit came in Nov 30 in the AM (Lightning fast!) And beat the "daily/test" steering wheel from DND by a whole week... Today just received the wheel and completed install:
View attachment 111973 View attachment 111974 View attachment 111975
Nice and well packed, + swag (took a touch of sanding and thinking of powder coating it to match the car!) Thanks to Black Friday!
Thank you for your review and glad you liked it!! Now I wanna see it installed with the wheel you picked! Cheers man and have a happy weekend

Registered
So the kit is mostly the sexy little PCB and Flintstone easy install (on Max's design... The PITFA that was removing the OEM wheel is wherr the hour will go because my airbag's right side retainer clip must've bent because no amount of force could budge it... I ripped the airbag out hulk style)

The popular and reliable Ascher Racing sim rig shifters, billet aluminum, neodymium, and thus solid clicks... Uh huh - Shifting is fun now! There are sexier shifters, but these are pretty standard professional hardware for a reason. Love the speed hole paddles, the likely-laser-cut carbon matches gloss Koshi.

Plenty of space in the momo hub, a bit "heavy" given the application, and MAKE SURE TO CLOCK THE AIRBAG SPRING PERFECT or you'll get the TC error that limp modes the transmission (seems like the geniuses at AR put the airbag circuit on the same system as the traction control)

After correcting this, the whole deal has driven all day without error, say twenty miles, dynamics mode engaged as well. Well done Max w the airbag resistors and shifter/horn PCB! I plan to swap the rubber sleeve that came with for either a carbon cylinder or have the rubber wrapped in leather/alcantara and matching red stitches, hopefully a QV logo embroidered?

Painted (oil rubbed bronze -nearly black over satin crimson) and rubberized (PlastiDip Smoke) the aluminum shifter bracket Max supplies (either short or long will work for a flat wheel, but my dished wheel makes me reach for the shifters so I will be comissioning a carbon replacement to place the shifters JUST where I need them). Solid and cut perfectly for most wheels' spokes to cover. Painted the edge with red model paint pen... SUPER tempted to paint the edges of the carbon paddles, but maybe overkill.

Registered
Finally with my fun/test wheel and installed:

Now I know some will ask how i got the Koshi center emblem (which is too big to fit over the button and too small to simply fit over the frame) on the horn button (the DND wheel is okay, the red line is off center馃が馃槀馃槒 and the supplied horn button doesn't stay in, but is standard) so here's my sheer genius at work there.
1. Double sided 3M tape and...
2. 2-1/8" self adhesive hard sliders!

Registered
Thank you for your review and glad you liked it!! Now I wanna see it installed with the wheel you picked! Cheers man and have a happy weekend
The wheel I have is from the F40 LM... But now that it's really really coming off my wall and into use on the car - I'm having second thoughts matting/ruining it. I'm still juggling between the Momo Prototopo 6C or wrapping the Reverie CF wheel in red stitched alcantara or doing the crazy F1 style wheel and starting the project to mount a digital rev dash to it. Now there's ALL the possibilities.

Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
Great looking install! But I have to ask, why are the paddles upside-down? Isn't the "-" and "+" at the top of the paddles?

Registered
LE #350
Discussion Starter #51
The wheel I have is from the F40 LM... But now that it's really really coming off my wall and into use on the car - I'm having second thoughts matting/ruining it. I'm still juggling between the Momo Prototopo 6C or wrapping the Reverie CF wheel in red stitched alcantara or doing the crazy F1 style wheel and starting the project to mount a digital rev dash to it. Now there's ALL the possibilities.
Thank you so much for the In-depth review. I am very happy that you are satisfied. I will probably make carbon fiber brackets in the future. I also had in mind to incorporate some rev lights to the brackets. Good catch @smc4C the paddles are meant to be installed on the inside of the shifters, you鈥檒l also gain a little bit of distance between your fingers and the paddles

Registered
I thought the "+"/"-" was odd to be at the bottom, but overthinking I thought it was to remind which is which when the wheel is in a 180掳 hairpin situation. I'll flip them today!

With so many options on what can be mounted to F1 style wheels, I'm tempted to undertake the project to mount and modify the DNA selector into a Ferrari-style knurled rotary knob, as well as the hazard button and a radio mute (this will be bluetooth) button. If only AR had used the two unused dash switches for the window operation, had lighter/simple Lotus rearviews carbon stalked on the door triangles, there would be ample room for another cup holder and scultural transmission selector... Or a manual transmission shifter...

I digress. The wheel makes the car and the OEM wheel is trash. You won't know until you try it, as it "seems" like it is okay, it works - Maybe you might even think you like it - but the grip, the ethos, the flexibility, and some weight savings of going classic/hardcore with this is night and day. With takata having all the litigation, the plastic plate that might shred your face on deployment or even blind you, and the much extra grip on a round wheel allowing for excellent control, I'm just a properly mounted harness away from actually raising the 4c's safety quotient (I'm leaving the passenger side OEM and both my side airbags). Given I plan to track the car a fair amount, this only makes more sense.

Also, another DIY project that made me sit in the car for hours, just happy with the transformation and "journey" towards further simplification and lightening without losing features. It just makes you so oddly happy gripping suede/alcantara and seeing nothing but real carbon twill and real stitched leather, not a cheap material in sight. Also the vibe of just driving/sitting in the car feels like a million dollar Italian prototype from the 1990's - as if Bertone and Alfa made it for the Shah of Iran over twenty five years ago - instead of a FIAT-econofied exotic sportscar from the 2000's the OEM ended up with. Had a date last night as well, and she was just amazed at the "character" and "tactility" of the interior (she never saw a 4c, ever) and loved it so much better than her 2017 Mercedes GT, which felt like a sign I was still on the right path towards a timeless "SingerDLS/DinoNuovo" style.

Registered
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
I thought the "+"/"-" was odd to be at the bottom, but overthinking I thought it was to remind which is which when the wheel is in a 180掳 hairpin situation. I'll flip them today!
As they say, "it's your car; put them however you like!" I was just referring to the stock paddles and how they are.

Are you concerned about not having an airbag while still using the 3 point seat belt?

Registered
I installed the steering wheel yesterday.
The paddle click is fine and I liked it very much.
I will go to truck the day after tomorrow.
I am grateful to you for creating a good solution.
Key chain is also my favorite.銆Sorry for my poor English

Registered
As they say, "it's your car; put them however you like!" I was just referring to the stock paddles and how they are.

Are you concerned about not having an airbag while still using the 3 point seat belt?
Not in the 4c seating position given mu situation: I'm 6' and like to drive away from the wheel so the three point is perfectly fine for my daily sub-90mph driving since as far as my head hitting anything is virtually impossible... But I will be upgrading to Tillett/similar carbon-kevlar seats, hans, and a proper 5-point harness since I am worried about snapping my neck given a hard enough "problem". I'm leaving the passenger side as is for now, and the side airbags since the doors are the car's "weak side" and i feel the more insulative material between me and say a red-light running, T-boning diesel truck's steel bumper, the better. The frontal airbags mostly just keep your neck from whiplashing forewards, and might keep some glass/light material from hitting you, but our airbags have a plastic cover that pops out and gave me the feeling that it might shatter badly if airbag deployed, so this is actually optimal imo for now.

Registered
I installed the steering wheel yesterday.
The paddle click is fine and I liked it very much.
I will go to truck the day after tomorrow.
I am grateful to you for creating a good solution.
Key chain is also my favorite.銆Sorry for my poor English
View attachment 112047 View attachment 112048
Your English is fine. I lived in Yokohama for 2 years. If my Japanese was a faction as good as your English I would have been very satisfied.

Registered
Finally with my fun/test wheel and installed:
View attachment 111983 View attachment 111984 View attachment 111985

Now I know some will ask how i got the Koshi center emblem (which is too big to fit over the button and too small to simply fit over the frame) on the horn button (the DND wheel is okay, the red line is off center馃が馃槀馃槒 and the supplied horn button doesn't stay in, but is standard) so here's my sheer genius at work there.
1. Double sided 3M tape and...
2. 2-1/8" self adhesive hard sliders!
View attachment 111986 View attachment 111987
This is so BADASS!!!

Registered
Thank you so much for the In-depth review. I am very happy that you are satisfied. I will probably make carbon fiber brackets in the future. I also had in mind to incorporate some rev lights to the brackets. Good catch @smc4C the paddles are meant to be installed on the inside of the shifters, you鈥檒l also gain a little bit of distance between your fingers and the paddles
Heads up... I've been few days now looking for a carbon "deep dish" shifter bracket and there are zero. Zero. Two sim rig companies sell a bent aluminum part for a bit over one hundred (OSR's include 3 different cable channels), so if you do make a dish wheel compatible bracket from carbon and include cable management/hiding, you would be unique amd maybe first to market!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts