Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got new Michelin pilot super sports, sized up a bit in front and rear. They were recommended by several.

Took directly onto road trip and they are super spongey feeling. Not ungrippy, but feel like the tires are rolling in corners and don't hold a line at all. Honestly, it's a bit frightening. At first when I got in highway I thought there was a strong winds because the car was not following a straight line. All over the place on just straight flat highway.

Is this just break in period? I've never felt such a strong difference buying new tires before, and it's a bad feeling. Really. Bad.

From go kart to SUV. It's low level horrifying to drive this way.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
@liver
1. Check the air pressure in all of your tires/tyres - the workshops have a habit of over-inflating to pop the bead onto the rim and are just too friggin lazy to let the excess pressure back out.
2. New tyres do perform better once they have been scrubbed in a bit - this is due to the way that they are fabricated as there is some residue left behind from the manufacturing process.
3. Relax - This will get better.
Cheers,
Alf.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
Got new Michelin pilot super sports, sized up a bit in front and rear. They were recommended by several.

Took directly onto road trip and they are super spongey feeling. Not ungrippy, but feel like the tires are rolling in corners and don't hold a line at all. Honestly, it's a bit frightening. At first when I got in highway I thought there was a sting wings because the car was not following a straight line. All over the place on just straight flat highway.

Is this just break in period? I've never felt such a strong difference buying new tires before, and it's a bad feeling. Really. Bad.

From go kart to SUV. It's low level horrifying to drive this way.

Once you’ve done as Alf says it’ll take a couple of hundred km to scrub off the release compound, depending on how hard you drive, then she’ll be good to go. (y) If you’ve gone a little wider in size drop your pressures by 1psi ( to 25psi F and 28psi R). It’s worked for me on my front 215/45x17 Hankooks. You might find only half a psi is all it takes.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Lol, felt this with a set of new Pirelli's also. Remember from going bald tyre 'direct response' to larger sidewall (size up) and more tread depth (more rubber=more squishee) you can feel a difference. Also tyre pressure=important!!!
I did not like my new Pirelli's when they were new also....

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Good lord. New tires are awful. If your old tires were decent and well worn, even a world-renowned, ultra-high performance new tire will feel awful at first. Tread exists just in case some moisture shows up. Otherwise, it's a killjoy. They feel better over time for a number of reasons, but it's the vanishing tread that makes 'em better and better (in dry anyway).

Drive spirited but safe. Get good drives in of at least 15-20 minutes. This will wear off any compounds, heat cycle them and have them become more pliable and settle in nicely.

New baseball glove sucks. New running shoes suck. New hockey skates suck. New hats suck. Etc. Tires are the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Hope y'all are right and it's just wear in.

For tire pressure, I did check and they were at the mfg spec, but that's higher than door sticker spec. Is lower pursue better here? Based on the squishy feeling I was thinking higher pressure was better.

Was going to try lower pressure next, but in the middle of another tire adventure I'll have to fill in later here. First need to get unstranded and back home...

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
OK. Hope y'all are right and it's just wear in.

For tire pressure, I did check and they were at the mfg spec, but that's higher than door sticker spec. Is lower pursue better here? Based on the squishy feeling I was thinking higher pressure was better.

Was going to try lower pressure next, but in the middle of another tire adventure I'll have to fill in later here. First need to get unstranded and back home...

Tires shops seem to always put too much pressure in and that is BAD with a 4C. Stick to NO more than the door sticker pressure when cold 29R/26F and if you went to a bit larger tire size drop i to 28R/25F. I went from the stock PZeros to Michelin PSS ins 245/215 and kept same aspect ratio as stock. When new they felt like driving on grease until the mold compound burned off and they heat cycled a couple of times. After that they were excellent. Figure a couple of hundred miles than they will feel like they are supposed to. Like Philster says.....new tires also have lots of tread so will feel "squishier" for a while. Ideally tires would have no tread for best feel (like race slicks) BUT that would be dangerous as heck on the street in any moisture, rain, dust, and any surface less than dry/perfect on the road.
Once broken in the PSS have excellent feedback....actually slighter better than the newer PS4S even though the PS4S is slightly better overall.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm surprised no-one mentioned a Wheel Alignment - for me New tires always = Wheel Alignment.
Tire Pressure is a must!
This occurred to me too. Will do soon. Tire pressure down to door jamb level helped a lot. On the road today for a few more hundred miles, though with one mismatched tire.

Had bear attack the car overnight. Literally. It's been a time.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts
I'm surprised no-one mentioned a Wheel Alignment - for me New tires always = Wheel Alignment.
Tire Pressure is a must!
I didn't mention an alignment since he went to the new tires and with nothing changed, felt the difference. For a new alignment I would wait for a couple of hundred miles so the tires can "settle" in. May not make a big difference if you did it right away.....but that is my method.

·
Super Moderator
10,415 Posts
This occurred to me too. Will do soon. Tire pressure down to door jamb level helped a lot. On the road today for a few more hundred miles, though with one mismatched tire.

Yogi has a taste for doughnuts, does he? I’m glad that was the only damage, hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
2015 4C Launch Edition
5,486 Posts

Wow....for real? If this was a bear you were lucky that is all the damage. When I lived in Northern California bears were notorious for break-and-entry on cars. They would use their claws to push into the weather stripping around windows and pull the windows out and than grab the door and literally rip it off the hinges. They are strong as hell. They are attracted by the smell of food, deodorizers hung from your mirror, etc. Even if no food, the lingering smell will attract them. I am a backpacker....you also never have food in your tent....it has to be put in a bag and suspended from a tree so hopefully they can't get to it. I work with Boy Scouts and often do camping trips with them. I like to ask them what a bear calls a scout in a sleeping bag...answer Burrito. After that you can bet they don't try to sneak snacks into their tents ;-)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow....for real? If this was a bear you were lucky that is all the damage. When I lived in Northern California bears were notorious for break-and-entry on cars. They would use their claws to push into the weather stripping around windows and pull the windows out and than grab the door and literally rip it off the hinges. They are strong as hell. They are attracted by the smell of food, deodorizers hung from your mirror, etc. Even if no food, the lingering smell will attract them. I am a backpacker....you also never have food in your tent....it has to be put in a bag and suspended from a tree so hopefully they can't get to it. I work with Boy Scouts and often do camping trips with them. I like to ask them what a bear calls a scout in a sleeping bag...answer Burrito. After that you can bet they don't try to sneak snacks into their tents ;-)
Precisely. Aside from lots of dirt on car where it looked like an animal was cuddling it, tire was only damage.

As a matter of fact, I was parked in the forest at a log cabin in Northern Cali, and the locals kind of confirmed too. No footage captured on camera unfortunately.

I lost a day because nothing is open on Sundays, but between aaa and a tire warranty, it only put me out cup of coffee and am extra night in a log cabin while I waited for a new tire to be installed. Could have been worse. If it had happened on a weekday I would have only lost a couple hours.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
500 kilometres on the new tires and you should be free of the mould release agents.
350 miles down and 350 back. I had them set pressure to door panel levels when they put the new tire on this morning for the drive back and it was 1000 percent better, even with one mismatched tire. I think they were just over inflated when they were installed, and because of the new "squishy" sensation, the too high pressure just bumped it up to terrifying.

·
4C-Forums.com Vendor
418 Posts
500 kilometres on the new tires and you should be free of the mould release agents.
I'm WAAAY too impatient for that. I've learned that this mild solvent, which is safe for rubber, will easily take the mold release agent off tires and have them grippy within about 5 miles or so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wrapping this up. It was 100% tire pressure. Both tire shops over inflated them. I just set them to door panel and it completely resolved the scary.

Never felt such an extreme impact from just tire pressure, but it was only that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts