Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

Nitron ntr r1 & nitron ntr r3

23K views 59 replies 21 participants last post by  GMS 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'd like to notice everyone who is looking for a quality suspension upgrade, that Nitron is finalising a coilover kit for our beloved 4C.

I've been in touch with a company and they will be offering two models:

NITRON NTR R1 (custom spring rates, 2-way single knob adjustable combined rebound and low speed compression), price 2.250 GBP VAT EX.

and

NITRON NTR R3 (custom spring rates, 3-way adjustable rebound + low speed compression + high speeed compression + piggyback reservoir front and remote reservoir rear to prevent overheating), price 3.350 GBP VAT EX.

I've been looking for a quality suspension upgrade on my 4C and I've researched pretty much all the offers available. My personal opinion is that NITRON NTR R3 is the best price/performance aftermarket coilover system available at the moment. I don't want to get to much of a topic here, but if anyone wants to know why I think so, he's welcome to read my thoughts and opinion here: http://4c-forums.com/7-introductions/44042-2017-alfa-romeo-4c-coupe-4.html#post760593

I also don't have any provision or any connection with NITRON or whatsoever, but they are wiling to offer some group buy discount for ordering at least 5 kits, so that's why I wanted to spread the word. This way we support developers to make new products for our cars and on the other hand we get better pricing. Seems like a fair deal.

Pricing is not yet confirmed, but it should be somewhere near what I have specified up above and delivery date is about 8 weeks from now on.

If anyone is interested in getting one of these coilovers, please write yourself down here on a list and we'll be in touch.

PRE-ORDERS:

1. NITRON NTR R3 - GALE

See less See more
#3 ·
...but if you want to buy the stuff that wins races, you better buy the Novitec Competizione+ in the version we use it in the 4C Cup car ... ;-)
I really like your race car, I am following your "race car thread" and I congratulate you on your achievements. Amazing car and the driver!

Unfortunately NOVITEC Competizione+ 3-way is out of my financial league so I cannot afford it. However I already have KW coilover system on my race car (BMW Z3M), so I have no doubt that a 4C with NOVITEC Competizione+ 3-way is a great handler when set up properly. :wink2:

#5 ·
Read that Sector 111 sold Nitron NTR R3
for Lotus Elise/Exige as upgrade coilovers

Ad for them--

Lightweight alloy design.
Inverted design reduces unsprung weight.
Fully CNC billet machined and screwed together, no welding.
Highest quality Teflon line spherical bearings.
Proven Performance = Podium Finishes

Nitron is the leader in Lotus track & race suspension.
Nitron has won in Formula 3, the Elise Trophy & more!
Fastest Lotus Challenge Series drivers run Nitrons.

#6 ·
They are actually working on Thomas´s 4C. We will see if this will ever win anything... :) On top it was just a funny comment from me. Don´t take everything so serious...

But if you want to participate on the experiences made on the racetrack because you are track focused it makes sense to run the same suspension. At least we have a dry and wet setup for the car that works and has been successfully tested...

Like to see the spring rates of the suspension... ;-)

#8 ·
Hello,

Prototype kit in NTR R3 version was finalised yesterday. Here is how it looks. My kit should be finished within 4 weeks.

Regards,

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
so Nitron suggested a contact to use for fitting in the UK.
But what about setup? its all a bit vague
I didnt ask Nitron about fitting, I'll do that myself. I asked Nitron about NTR R1 and NTR 3 dampers suited for my driving styles and expectations. They suggested using the knowledge they are learning configuring a setting for Gale, and changing it for me. Before investing, they'll need to confirm that they have dyno settings for the OEM dampers and springs, allowing them to establish a baseline, and the settings they've made for Gale.

I believe that Gale wants them mainly for track use, whereas I want them to be compliant on ordinary roads with less than perfect road surfaces we suffer in the UK.

#23 · (Edited)
Hello,

I've just received and installed my long awaited NITRON NTR R3 coilovers. Build quality is very good and they look superb. Like expected, they have external front and rear oil reservoirs and wide adjustability range (rebound + low speed compression + high speed compression). Ruuber bushings at at both ends are also replaced by uniball bearings for extra stiffnes. Installaiton didn't require any special manoeuvres.

I didn't extensively test them yet, but I like the product so far. I went with spring rates of 300lbs/in or 52NM front and 400 lbs/in or 70 Nm rear. Stock spring rates on my non sport suspension were 22 Nm front and 35 Nm rear. That's roughly half the stiffness of the Nitron spec, so my selection of spring rates is on the stiff side, just about acceptable for a street driving, but should be spot on for a track use. Damping settings are set rather stiff out of the box and I found them too stiff for a street. Unfortunately, we have a rainy weather at the moment so I couldn't do a proper test so far but I can assure you that with this spring rates and default damping settings, car was not pleasant to drive in such conditions, it understeered, oversteered, it was simply too stiff spring rates and damping. When I came back home I softened the damping settings from default settings to about 3/4 soft and car immediately felt much softer and much better suited for a wet driving, but given the stiff spring rates, I felt that I maybe softened the damping settings too much, so I stiffened the damping a bit and ended somewhat in the middle of the adjustment range and now I'll test it a bit an then adjust it more precisely when I get to know my new setup. I'll report more details later.

Here are some pictures:

https://ibb.co/dtWsZF
https://ibb.co/nJLmuF
https://ibb.co/d4cMTa
https://ibb.co/jXjPgv

#28 ·
Sorry, I see I posted this all wrong. It's been a busy week at work, So I messed up.

Weight is meant for a single suspension (absorber + spring) in grams, not kilograms. Front suspension parts now weight 2x 2500 g instead of 2x 3320 g and in the back 2x 6000g instead of 2x 8000g, so it's a reduction of unsprung weight, which is good.

ETE means eye-to-eye. That's the length between upper and lower mounting point points of suspension. You can see that Nitron NTR R3 has 15mm shorter ETE than stock, which means that ride height should be 15mm lower than with stock suspension. That means -7,5 mm less up stroke and -7,5 mm down stroke. Of course you can adjust the ride height with spring perch adjusters, but basically you only move suspension stroke up or down. If you want to keep the car at the same height as stock, you need to lift suspension for 15mm, which means that suspension will have -15mm down stroke.

I haven't done corner balance yet.

#30 ·
I contacted Shinoo about the Nitron NTR R3 coilover.

He said that Nitron UK sold out their initial 6 Alfa 4C Nitron R3 coilover sets.

It would take 4 to 6 weeks for them to get more made.

#31 ·
Shinoo @ Inokinetic.com has 1 way adjustable Nitron NTR R1 listed for $2899.99
and 3 way adjustable Nitron NTR R3 performance suspension shocks for $3999.99

Nitrons coilovers have been used by Lotus owners for years. They offer easy adjustment
of rebound, fast and low compression. The rear coilovers have remote mounted reservoirs
allowing simple quick adjustment. I have recently purchased a set and they have impressive
Build quality as the are hand made in England. They weigh 5 lbs less than stock shocks.
I will be installing mine soon and will give full report when I do.

#32 ·
I understated the weight savings of the Nitron NTR R3 3-way adjustable coilovers.
Stock weigh 50.4 lbs.
Ohlins weigh 41.0 lbs.
Nitron weigh 37.4 lbs.

That is 13 lbs. lighter than stock race shocks!

#38 ·
Hi Rudi, I’ve been thinking of coilovers for quite some time. Tossing up whether to go Intrax 1K2 or Nitrons. What’s the rough distance between overhauls of the Nitrons? Thinking just a set of R1’s are all I need if going the Nitron route given I’m only doing a couple of track days a year and our sessions are only 20 minutes and most of my driving fun happens on fast secondary roads. I’m after a set-up that doesn’t require a rear anti roll bar, can be made reasonably compliant to cope with fast, uneven roads that won’t have me bouncing or jiggling all over the road. Ease/simplicity of adjustment is important. Hope you can advise.

#40 ·
Both very good choices, my favorites too. I cannot comment on Intrax I never drove them, but NTR R3 vs. NTR R1, the R1 is what you are looking for. It's the rebound that makes suspension feel harsh on the street and car floaty on the track. So, with single knob you can adjust rebound and compression combined, so on the road you unwind the clicks and for the track you crank up the knob. The difference in playing with the damping settings is very noticeable. The R1 will provide more than capable track setup too. And the spring rates can be customized. I would suggest 52N/mm front and 70N/mm rear in your case.

@GMS
Did you add some proper way of adjusting rear camber, by offsetting screw holes? If not, I’d suggest to maybe make a rev2.
Good idea. I forgot about this. My rear camber is currently set at -2.5 deg (modified) while OEM setup allows to about -2.2 deg, which is plenty for most of users. wil ltalk to Nitron to see if we could make slot instead of hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.