Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'd like to notice everyone who is looking for a quality suspension upgrade, that Nitron is finalising a coilover kit for our beloved 4C.

I've been in touch with a company and they will be offering two models:

NITRON NTR R1 (custom spring rates, 2-way single knob adjustable combined rebound and low speed compression), price 2.250 GBP VAT EX.

and

NITRON NTR R3 (custom spring rates, 3-way adjustable rebound + low speed compression + high speeed compression + piggyback reservoir front and remote reservoir rear to prevent overheating), price 3.350 GBP VAT EX.

I've been looking for a quality suspension upgrade on my 4C and I've researched pretty much all the offers available. My personal opinion is that NITRON NTR R3 is the best price/performance aftermarket coilover system available at the moment. I don't want to get to much of a topic here, but if anyone wants to know why I think so, he's welcome to read my thoughts and opinion here: http://4c-forums.com/7-introductions/44042-2017-alfa-romeo-4c-coupe-4.html#post760593

I also don't have any provision or any connection with NITRON or whatsoever, but they are wiling to offer some group buy discount for ordering at least 5 kits, so that's why I wanted to spread the word. This way we support developers to make new products for our cars and on the other hand we get better pricing. Seems like a fair deal.

Pricing is not yet confirmed, but it should be somewhere near what I have specified up above and delivery date is about 8 weeks from now on.

If anyone is interested in getting one of these coilovers, please write yourself down here on a list and we'll be in touch.

PRE-ORDERS:

1. NITRON NTR R3 - GALE

·
Registered
199 Posts
...but if you want to buy the stuff that wins races, you better buy the Novitec Competizione+ in the Version we use it in the 4C Cup car ... ;-)

·
Vendor
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...but if you want to buy the stuff that wins races, you better buy the Novitec Competizione+ in the version we use it in the 4C Cup car ... ;-)
I really like your race car, I am following your "race car thread" and I congratulate you on your achievements. Amazing car and the driver!

Unfortunately NOVITEC Competizione+ 3-way is out of my financial league so I cannot afford it. However I already have KW coilover system on my race car (BMW Z3M), so I have no doubt that a 4C with NOVITEC Competizione+ 3-way is a great handler when set up properly. :wink2:

·
Registered
199 Posts
The 3-way is out of my budget too! We used the two-way suspension, which is if I remember right 3799 € including VAT. So it is not far away from the price of the nitron.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Read that Sector 111 sold Nitron NTR R3
for Lotus Elise/Exige as upgrade coilovers

Ad for them--

Lightweight alloy design.
Inverted design reduces unsprung weight.
Fully CNC billet machined and screwed together, no welding.
Highest quality Teflon line spherical bearings.
Proven Performance = Podium Finishes

Nitron is the leader in Lotus track & race suspension.
Nitron has won in Formula 3, the Elise Trophy & more!
Fastest Lotus Challenge Series drivers run Nitrons.

·
Registered
199 Posts
They are actually working on Thomas´s 4C. We will see if this will ever win anything... :) On top it was just a funny comment from me. Don´t take everything so serious...

But if you want to participate on the experiences made on the racetrack because you are track focused it makes sense to run the same suspension. At least we have a dry and wet setup for the car that works and has been successfully tested...

Like to see the spring rates of the suspension... ;-)

·
Vendor
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Prototype kit in NTR R3 version was finalised yesterday. Here is how it looks. My kit should be finished within 4 weeks.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'd like to notice everyone who is looking for a quality suspension upgrade, that Nitron is finalising a coilover kit for our beloved 4C.

I've been in touch with a company and they will be offering two models:

NITRON NTR R1 (custom spring rates, 2-way single knob adjustable combined rebound and low speed compression), price 2.250 GBP VAT EX.

and

NITRON NTR R3 (custom spring rates, 3-way adjustable rebound + low speed compression + high speeed compression + piggyback reservoir front and remote reservoir rear to prevent overheating), price 3.350 GBP VAT EX.

I've been looking for a quality suspension upgrade on my 4C and I've researched pretty much all the offers available. My personal opinion is that NITRON NTR R3 is the best price/performance aftermarket coilover system available at the moment. I don't want to get to much of a topic here, but if anyone wants to know why I think so, he's welcome to read my thoughts and opinion here: http://4c-forums.com/7-introductions/44042-2017-alfa-romeo-4c-coupe-4.html#post760593

I also don't have any provision or any connection with NITRON or whatsoever, but they are wiling to offer some group buy discount for ordering at least 5 kits, so that's why I wanted to spread the word. This way we support developers to make new products for our cars and on the other hand we get better pricing. Seems like a fair deal.

Pricing is not yet confirmed, but it should be somewhere near what I have specified up above and delivery date is about 8 weeks from now on.

If anyone is interested in getting one of these coilovers, please write yourself down here on a list and we'll be in touch.

PRE-ORDERS:

1. NITRON NTR R3 - GALE

Is this a UK company? I've never heard of them before. Or have ever seen their logo on anything racing before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi gale....

are you in the UK? who is fitting these?

i had nitrons on my s1 exige. they were excellent!

they have a massive rep in the lotus community

·
Registered
450 Posts

PRE-ORDERS:

1. NITRON NTR R3 - GALE
2. Nitron NTR R3 - Y Cymro

I spoke with Alex at Nitron today and he mentioned the development going into your kit. Please keep me updated with progress.

·
Registered
450 Posts
so Nitron suggested a contact to use for fitting in the UK.
But what about setup? its all a bit vague
I didnt ask Nitron about fitting, I'll do that myself. I asked Nitron about NTR R1 and NTR 3 dampers suited for my driving styles and expectations. They suggested using the knowledge they are learning configuring a setting for Gale, and changing it for me. Before investing, they'll need to confirm that they have dyno settings for the OEM dampers and springs, allowing them to establish a baseline, and the settings they've made for Gale.

I believe that Gale wants them mainly for track use, whereas I want them to be compliant on ordinary roads with less than perfect road surfaces we suffer in the UK.

·
Vendor
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that lbs/ins? Do you know the OEM spring rates?
OEM spring rates are 22N/mm (125 lbs/in) front and 35N/mm 200 lbs/in) rear

so Nitron suggested a contact to use for fitting in the UK.

But what about setup? its all a bit vague
I believe that Gale wants them mainly for track use, whereas I want them to be compliant on less than perfect road surfaces where I do most of my 4C driving. Providing any new dampers I buy have adjustable low-speed jounce settings that I can increase then they'll be fine for Trackdays and Hillclimb too.
I can live with harsh ride, but I cannot drive on the track with bouncy car, so I went with a bit stiffer spring rates. In case I'll feel the need for additional stiffness or less stiffness, depending on the rubber compound and track layout, I'll fine tune it with adjustable swaybars. Regarding adjusting rebound/compression is pretty much trial and error, although manufacturer usually gives some basic suggested setting which is usually a good starting point for fine tuning the damping.

I went with spring rates F: 300 and R: 620. I'm planning to run 235 and 265 semislick medium/soft tires.
That's a misinformation. My spring rates of choice are 52N/mm (300 lbs/in) front and 70N/mm (400 lbs/in) rear

·
Registered
450 Posts
OEM spring rates are 22N/mm (125 lbs/in) front and 35N/mm 200 lbs/in
That's a surprisingly soft spring, especially on the front, which must mean the harshness comes from the damper. Due to the short damper throw on the front, I should imagine the compression setting is quite high to limit suspension travel, and therefore provide a harsh ride, even on very soft springs.
Of interest, Lotus uses a number of spring rates on versions models of Elise, but as standard they tend to be around 190lbs/in front and 267 rear.

My spring rates of choice are 52N/mm (300 lbs/in) front and 70N/mm (400 lbs/in) rear
Mine are more likely to be similar to a sporty Elise, so 220lbs/300lbs - heavier than standard, but better controlled by appropriate configuration of the damper. I'll have a better idea after the OEM dampers are tested on the dyno.

Don't suppose you have the dyno graphs for standard or Nitron dampers?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is this a UK company? I've never heard of them before. Or have ever seen their logo on anything racing before.[/QUOTE]

Nitron is a uk based company and they have quite a name in lotus elise/exige land as an upgrade on the standard suspension since day 1(1997-1998) on the S1 elises (which came with way too simple koni's)

I had nitrons on my s1 elise and they were very very very good value for money! Especially being able to weight Balance that car (i always considered it a very sensitive car for imbalance at corner entries)really was One of the best performance upgrades...interesting what it would do on a 4c .....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts