Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I didnt ask Nitron about fitting, I'll do that myself. I asked Nitron about NTR R1 and NTR 3 dampers suited for my driving styles and expectations. They suggested using the knowledge they are learning configuring a setting for Gale, and changing it for me. Before investing, they'll need to confirm that they have dyno settings for the OEM dampers and springs, allowing them to establish a baseline, and the settings they've made for Gale.

I believe that Gale wants them mainly for track use, whereas I want them to be compliant on less than perfect road surfaces where I do most of my 4C driving. Providing any new dampers I buy have adjustable low-speed compression settings that I can increase then they'll be fine for Trackdays and Hillclimb too.
i have had nitrons on 3x lotus and i love them. excellent products....

whats holding me back is zero understanding/testing of setup on a new damper/spring.

when will you get yours fitted? would love to have a look. im in london so could pop up etc

·
Registered
451 Posts
i have had nitrons on 3x lotus and i love them. excellent products....
when will you get yours fitted? would love to have a look. im in london so could pop up etc
Yes of course, though the more I look the more confusing the choice becomes. I'm aware of the following alternatives that are prepared to provide custom builds for the 4C:
Nitron
Ohlins
Quantum
Penske
Intrax

Prices range from around £1k5 to over £8k.

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hello,

I've just received and installed my long awaited NITRON NTR R3 coilovers. Build quality is very good and they look superb. Like expected, they have external front and rear oil reservoirs and wide adjustability range (rebound + low speed compression + high speed compression). Ruuber bushings at at both ends are also replaced by uniball bearings for extra stiffnes. Installaiton didn't require any special manoeuvres.

I didn't extensively test them yet, but I like the product so far. I went with spring rates of 300lbs/in or 52NM front and 400 lbs/in or 70 Nm rear. Stock spring rates on my non sport suspension were 22 Nm front and 35 Nm rear. That's roughly half the stiffness of the Nitron spec, so my selection of spring rates is on the stiff side, just about acceptable for a street driving, but should be spot on for a track use. Damping settings are set rather stiff out of the box and I found them too stiff for a street. Unfortunately, we have a rainy weather at the moment so I couldn't do a proper test so far but I can assure you that with this spring rates and default damping settings, car was not pleasant to drive in such conditions, it understeered, oversteered, it was simply too stiff spring rates and damping. When I came back home I softened the damping settings from default settings to about 3/4 soft and car immediately felt much softer and much better suited for a wet driving, but given the stiff spring rates, I felt that I maybe softened the damping settings too much, so I stiffened the damping a bit and ended somewhat in the middle of the adjustment range and now I'll test it a bit an then adjust it more precisely when I get to know my new setup. I'll report more details later.

Here are some pictures:

https://ibb.co/dtWsZF
https://ibb.co/nJLmuF
https://ibb.co/d4cMTa
https://ibb.co/jXjPgv

·
Registered
866 Posts
Rudy after Nitrons installed, have you lowered the 4C?

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rudy after Nitrons installed, have you lowered the 4C?
I tried to keep the car as high as possible without compromising new coilovers predicted height, which is about 15mm - 20mm lower than stock 4C suspension. You can do this by stiffening the preload which also affects the ride height. This way I have managed to lower the car only about 5mm from stock height.

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
And a few more tech details:

STOCK 4C SUSPENSION:

FRONT: 3320 kg (weight), 340mm (ETE length)
REAR: 8200 kg, 495mm (ETE length)

NITRON NTR R3 SUSPENSION:
FRONT: 2500 kg (weight), 325 (ETE length)
REAR: 6000 kg (weight), 480 (ETE length)

·
Registered
385 Posts
What do you mean with your weight?
What's ETE length? The spring length without load?

Did you once corner weight your car?

·
Vendor
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry, I see I posted this all wrong. It's been a busy week at work, So I messed up.

Weight is meant for a single suspension (absorber + spring) in grams, not kilograms. Front suspension parts now weight 2x 2500 g instead of 2x 3320 g and in the back 2x 6000g instead of 2x 8000g, so it's a reduction of unsprung weight, which is good.

ETE means eye-to-eye. That's the length between upper and lower mounting point points of suspension. You can see that Nitron NTR R3 has 15mm shorter ETE than stock, which means that ride height should be 15mm lower than with stock suspension. That means -7,5 mm less up stroke and -7,5 mm down stroke. Of course you can adjust the ride height with spring perch adjusters, but basically you only move suspension stroke up or down. If you want to keep the car at the same height as stock, you need to lift suspension for 15mm, which means that suspension will have -15mm down stroke.

I haven't done corner balance yet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I contacted Shinoo about the Nitron NTR R3 coilover.

He said that Nitron UK sold out their initial 6 Alfa 4C Nitron R3 coilover sets.

It would take 4 to 6 weeks for them to get more made.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Shinoo @ Inokinetic.com has 1 way adjustable Nitron NTR R1 listed for $2899.99
and 3 way adjustable Nitron NTR R3 performance suspension shocks for $3999.99

Nitrons coilovers have been used by Lotus owners for years. They offer easy adjustment
of rebound, fast and low compression. The rear coilovers have remote mounted reservoirs
allowing simple quick adjustment. I have recently purchased a set and they have impressive
Build quality as the are hand made in England. They weigh 5 lbs less than stock shocks.
I will be installing mine soon and will give full report when I do.

Reactions: lkone

·
Registered
866 Posts
I understated the weight savings of the Nitron NTR R3 3-way adjustable coilovers.
Stock weigh 50.4 lbs.
Ohlins weigh 41.0 lbs.
Nitron weigh 37.4 lbs.

That is 13 lbs. lighter than stock race shocks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is this a UK company? I've never heard of them before. Or have ever seen their logo on anything racing before.[/QUOTE]

Nitron is a uk based company and they have quite a name in lotus elise/exige land as an upgrade on the standard suspension since day 1(1997-1998) on the S1 elises (which came with way too simple koni's)

I had nitrons on my s1 elise and they were very very very good value for money! Especially being able to weight Balance that car (i always considered it a very sensitive car for imbalance at corner entries)really was One of the best performance upgrades...interesting what it would do on a 4c .....
not to mention that Nitron were actually offered as oem options on the elise and exiege..

my fed elise used to sport Nitrons..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is this a UK company? I've never heard of them before. Or have ever seen their logo on anything racing before.
I had a Mini Challenge (limited edition of 52 cars). Basically, Mini Cooper JCW which was sent directly from factory to the Challenge racing team, who put on a diff, Cup 2 tyres, racing pads and Nitron coilovers.

Nitron do the coilovers for Mini Challenge race cars, so they did a road version (3 way adjustable) in the road going ones.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are they nice and quiet?
If there is one thing I cannot handle, it’s rattles, it just drives med CRAZY.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts