Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
gtv6 3.0, Stelvio Ti
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John4c probably knows this already. I intermittently have been checking the Alfa USA site. Up until recently it showed the 20204C and if you clicked it, would show inventory within 250 miles. When I bought my car this last Feb there were still a few trickling into dealers. Appears they are all gone. With the Tributos delivered looks like that is it, unless some magic happens, and how long until another real alfa sportscar?

On other news I sold my StelvioTi, it was just sitting. Sad about that it was a great, reliable and fun daily driver. Bought it with 7k miles and drove it 37k miles in two years. Driving the Milano and 4C mostly this summer and the gtv6 just finished rebuild. Maybe look for a replacement, Guilia or Stelvio Quad come the new year? Or just get a Mazda? The 4C and it’s old Alfa siblings won’t be salt cars. Any other suggestions for a good daily driver welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Funny timing because I checked on this a couple hours ago when someone sent me a post that one in FL sold…

5 New 4Cs remain in USA (edit: updated per below):

1 at Naples Motorsport Basalt/Red high 70s stickers (no CF halo of CF interior) and my understanding is holding firm at 15k over

1 Rosso Alfa/black at Alfa South Miami (high sticker) - was asking over sticker but I haven’t heard anything recently

1 Rosso Alfa/black at Alfa Ft Meyers (moderate sticker) - was asking over sticker but I haven’t heard anything recently

1 Rosso Alfa/black at Alfa Santa Monica (high sticker) - was asking over sticker but I haven’t heard anything recently

1 Black/Black at Alfa Honolulu (very low sticker) - unsure of ask. Probably would be sold if continental US.

The Tributo at Genesis in Michigan may be available but they aren’t returning calls about it so I assume it’s gone.

That’s it…

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hope they sit there until the over sticker prices jump. There are so many low mileage ones out there. I should know, iIbought a 4k mile LE for $63k with a built in Valentine One radar detector.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Funny timing because I checked on this a couple hours ago when someone sent me a post that one in FL sold…

6 New 4Cs remain in USA:

2 at Naples Motorsport (BG/Red and RC/Tobacco) both high 70s stickers (neither has CF halo) and my understanding is holding firm at 15k over

1 Rosso Alfa/black at Alfa South Miami (high sticker) - was asking over sticker but I haven’t heard anything recently

1 Rosso Alfa/black at Alfa Ft Meyers (moderate sticker) - was asking over sticker but I haven’t heard anything recently

1 Rosso Alfa/black at Alfa Santa Monica (high sticker) - was asking over sticker but I haven’t heard anything recently

1 Black/Black at Alfa Honolulu (very low sticker) - unsure of ask. Probably would be sold if continental US.

The Tributo at Genesis in Michigan may be available but they aren’t returning calls about it so I assume it’s gone.

That’s it…
Make that 1 left at Naples Motorsport (that RC/Tobacco didn't hang around...)

I don't personally believe the prices have yet levelled off for 4Cs on the used market. Quick check on the major listings sites and there are on average 25 4C's listed across them. While this has been consistent for a while, last summer there were closer to 40 listed at any given time.

I've mentioned before that we can only speculate how the chip shortage has impacted 4C pricing, it'll take a while for the new and used market to recover from this as every car is inflated right now. However, for anyone looking to get into the market now: $50-55k USD will get you a low spec/ higher mileage (>40k) example (or a trip to Alaska). Better specc'd/low mileage are starting at $60k - if I'd waited 6 months I would've been priced out of the market which is crazy! It's odd but prices are clustering in the $60-70k mark which is definitely $10k higher than the start of this year.

Most on here will likely not give a toss on how the values are moving for their 4Cs, but I think Mr Goose sums it up nicely in this great (though slightly depressing) video

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Make that 1 left at Naples Motorsport (that RC/Tobacco didn't hang around...)
Wow. I know he was FIRM at 15k over so, yeah. I hadnt checked their inventory recently (other than to drool at the Montreal Green Giulia QV they have, lol). I will mark it. Now 5... It's funny too because those Florida ones aren't listed anywhere but the dealer websites. I think they are waiting to get a local at over (both were also 15k over last I checked).

I don't personally believe the prices have yet levelled off for 4Cs on the used market. Quick check on the major listings sites and there are on average 25 4C's listed across them. While this has been consistent for a while, last summer there were closer to 40 listed at any given time.

I've mentioned before that we can only speculate how the chip shortage has impacted 4C pricing, it'll take a while for the new and used market to recover from this as every car is inflated right now. However, for anyone looking to get into the market now: $50-55k USD will get you a low spec/ higher mileage (>40k) example (or a trip to Alaska). Better specc'd/low mileage are starting at $60k - if I'd waited 6 months I would've been priced out of the market which is crazy! It's odd but prices are clustering in the $60-70k mark which is definitely $10k higher than the start of this year.

Most on here will likely not give a toss on how the values are moving for their 4Cs, but I think Mr Goose sums it up nicely in this great (though slightly depressing) video

Completely agree btw. I saw something recently that last month was actually the first month where chip shortages actually impacted car sales. All the scarcity up until this point was demand and COVID shut downs. The real scarcity has just begun and should last at least 6 months...

Google chip shortage and articles come up from every major automaker saying this will drag into 2022 and actual production halts have just begun.

Reactions: zr33

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts

Completely agree btw. I saw something recently that last month was actually the first month where chip shortages actually impacted car sales. All the scarcity up until this point was demand and COVID shut downs. The real scarcity has just begun and should last at least 6 months...

Google chip shortage and articles come up from every major automaker saying this will drag into 2022 and actual production halts have just begun.
Think so? The chip shortage was reported as shutting down lines already late in 2020 and was idling plants at the beginning of this year. Given the empty dealer lots, I find it hard to believe that it hasn't impacted new car sales before June.

What I don't get is how it has carried on this long. Sounds to me like a stand off between the makers of the chips and the auto industry anymore. I cannot imagine that there isn't capacity to cover demand by now. Intel is talking about stepping up to the plate, but that's going to take some time before they can generate capacity and start producing product. But in the mean time, I'd wager that the real issue is price. At the start of the pandemic, fearing a huge drop in sales, automakers cut orders unexpectedly, causing the chip manufacturers to pivot to other industries. Now that the OEM's have realized that the drop did not materialize for more than a couple months in the first half of 2020, they said "oops, sorry, can we please have our supply back?" There aren't that many makers of these things, capable of producing to auto industry standards and in quantities required. Likely proprietary designs as well. So I'm guessing they came back with a massive price increase and told the auto makers to "take it or leave it".

What I don't get is, how has this affected Tesla? They must use more processing power than a normal car (although even the simple 4C has a fair share of computer hardware onboard).

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Think so? The chip shortage was reported as shutting down lines already late in 2020 and was idling plants at the beginning of this year. Given the empty dealer lots, I find it hard to believe that it hasn't impacted new car sales before June.

What I don't get is how it has carried on this long. Sounds to me like a stand off between the makers of the chips and the auto industry anymore. I cannot imagine that there isn't capacity to cover demand by now. Intel is talking about stepping up to the plate, but that's going to take some time before they can generate capacity and start producing product. But in the mean time, I'd wager that the real issue is price. At the start of the pandemic, fearing a huge drop in sales, automakers cut orders unexpectedly, causing the chip manufacturers to pivot to other industries. Now that the OEM's have realized that the drop did not materialize for more than a couple months in the first half of 2020, they said "oops, sorry, can we please have our supply back?" There aren't that many makers of these things, capable of producing to auto industry standards and in quantities required. Likely proprietary designs as well. So I'm guessing they came back with a massive price increase and told the auto makers to "take it or leave it".

What I don't get is, how has this affected Tesla? They must use more processing power than a normal car (although even the simple 4C has a fair share of computer hardware onboard).
I think it takes longer for this stuff to work through the supply chain than people realize. Idk obviously but just recent articles make it seems like shut downs. I'm sure it has already started but there seems to be a lot of recent articles about it stopping production...

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
And, believe it or not, one of the reasons being bandied about by appliance manufacturers for the shortage of refrigerators and such, is the tight chip supply.
That's been ongoing since last summer, and is still a major issue (I buy tens of thousands of appliances a year, and have been on 6-8 week wait for many since last fall!).

The appliances that i purchase are not IoT enabled by any stretch, but I guess even despite being relatively basic models, they need microprocessors.

Just another of 4Canada's fun facts! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
Was that one I posted? Mine were all halts happening this week. Idk though. I agree. It seems overblown but I don’t see it going back to “normal” in the immediate future.
No, not one of your links - just pointing out a much earlier report on the same subject. I've been seeing and reading about it in business news for about 7 months.

I know that this is not the only supply chain disruption. In a time of Just In Time deliveries, Covid shut-downs of even small suppliers have played havoc to this and many industries. Then add the Texas freeze and its aftermath and the effect on plastics supply that this had (still rippling through some products). Even steel is harder to come by and pricing has increased 50% in 6 months - another thing that governments are going to have to look at, as I cannot believe there isn't capacity to cover demand here. Another industry with too few players holding the taps shut.

I agree, it's not over yet. Intel was quoted as looking at jumping into the automotive semiconductor market last month, but estimated a 6 month lead time.

If my theory would be right, then the existing manufacturers will come round long before their oligopoly can be threatened.

Meanwhile, I've seen reports that Toyota and VW have been exploring making their own chips.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've read a few articles saying Toyota was more attuned to their supply chain and were able to stockpile chips and parts incorporating chips as the first signs of tightening supply began to surface.

As it stands, the Toyota dealership I drove by today looks barren and has more double parked cars than a supercar meet.

·
Administrator
2,035 Posts
I've read a few articles saying Toyota was more attuned to their supply chain and were able to stockpile chips and parts incorporating chips as the first signs of tightening supply began to surface.

As it stands, the Toyota dealership I drove by today looks barren and has more double parked cars than a supercar meet.
There are guys on this forum with more cars than what I see at St. Charles Toyota.

·
Administrator
16,974 Posts
There are guys on this forum with more cars than what I see at St. Charles Toyota.
Um, guilty! :D

But there was known to be a massive oversupply in the auto market for years already, so perhaps there were inventories somewhere which cushioned the blow for several months worth of sales. Still, dealership lots here in my part of the world have been depleted for a number of months now.

Definitely won't see many "model year clear-out" sales this fall!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've heard the same too RE Toyota. Anecdotal example but I was helping my sister purchase a 2022 Honda Insight over the past weekend and it dragged into yesterday. We spoke to 4-5 Honda dealers from MD to VA, and any that had stock were marking up even Honda Insights above MSRP. Bear in mind this was Honda's second worst selling car in recent history after the Clarity. Take it with a pinch of salt (as it could be part of the sales pitch) but all the Honda dealers we spoke to had around 10-20% inventory on hand vs pre-chip shortage. The dealer we bought from normally has 600 cars in inventory, and they currently had 90. By far and away the worst time to buy a car right now. They all said they expected this to continue well into 2022.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Um, guilty! :D

But there was known to be a massive oversupply in the auto market for years already, so perhaps there were inventories somewhere which cushioned the blow for several months worth of sales. Still, dealership lots here in my part of the world have been depleted for a number of months now.

Definitely won't see many "model year clear-out" sales this fall!
Again anecdotal but I helped another family purchase a new Audi Q5 in Feb. Q5s are in the hottest segment but even 6 months ago we were able to negotiate under MSRP. Not a chance that's possible now - any cushion seems to have been depleted.

·
Registered
2016 4C Spider + 3 Ferraris + 6MT 997.2 RWB'd
731 Posts
Could there be any chance the shortage, or if this is artificial to step up prices(?), will give rise to analog solutions and models? Maybe this will breathe back some life into standard transmissions, naturally aspirated push rods, and infotainment-less "new base models" for many economy and sports cars... This is how we will get a carbon-fibered steampunk 4c eventually. Meanwhile, the Alpha Superwolf officially debuted and that's pretty cool, wondering how BEV's get churned out during all this as well. I've given up on getting an RTX 3090 and a top of the line KitchenAid fridge (graphics card buying now requires the physical camping skills of a recon sniper, go figure) and will just wait for whatever replaces it next year, but Tesla has ramped up production to meet a little more demand. Weird times indeed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts