Alfa Romeo 4C Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New 4c owner here, I've had the car for almost two months now and I've already put around 3,000 beautiful km's on it!

The car is 2018 coupe with 50,000 km total.

I've started noticing some strange noises at different occasions and I was hoping if you could tell me if these are normal noises or if I should be worried.

Here are the things I've noticed:
  1. I hear a loud clunk noise almost every time I downshift, I mainly hear it from 3rd to 2nd while doing a hard stop. Sometimes I hear it during other gear shifts but it's most noticeable from 3rd to 2nd.
  2. Sometimes after starting the car I can hear some sort of ticking noise, I'm honestly not sure what it is but it lasts for a few minutes then goes away. Usually doesn't happen after the car is warmed up, only when cold.
  3. Sometimes when I've got my foot on the floor and accelerating, I can hear some sort of scratching noise coming from behind. It happens only when I've got full throttle and at higher RPMs.
I tried to upload the videos directly but seems that the file sizes are too big. I'll upload them on another website and post the links in a bit.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the videos:

1. Gear change (I edited the video to show multiple downshifts, hopefully you can hear it):

2. Ticking noise:

3. Acceleration noise (happens between seconds 2-5 and 17-20):

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I purchased my 4c about a year ago, I heard the same noises in video 1 and 2. Video 1 is just the transmission. Did you take the second video with the engine bay open? Reason I ask, is because I hear that sound from inside the cabin, but not that loud.

I took my car to the dealer for these two items and to a independent shop, and both sounds are normal. Remember, with no sound deadening and the carbon rub, you will hear a lot of sounds. Not sure I hear anything in video 3, except for a small turbo whine.

Hope that helps ease your concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm not used to hearing every mechanical movement of the car but I guess that's part of the 4c charm.

Yeah the second video was taken while the engine bay was open.

As for the 3rd video, I agree the sound doesn't sound super clear as I took it with my phone. But while driving its very noticeable. It usually happens for a second or two while accelerating hard so it's difficult to replicate sometimes.

I'll try to see if I can get a video from inside the engine bay for that one for a clearer sound and post it.

·
Super Moderator
14,722 Posts
There is a bit of a ticking noise on these cars, but I’m not sure it is exactly as you posted (camera mics and iPad speakers might be the difference).
Lots of clunks and other noises are common on these cars as well. As Abesacto916 said, there is no sound deadening and the tub amplifies everything.

If I were to suspect anything amiss from the first and third videos, I would guess possibly an engine mount. There is a mount under the transaxle that has a lot of play in it. There are aftermarket replacements or inserts resolve a lot of that. Not sure if is your issue, but it would not surprise me. I’m most concerned about the scraping in video 3, but that too could be something simple even if not the mount at fault.

The two scariest noises that I had on my car turned out to be simple, stupid things. A loud banging and rattling turned out to be a small stone embedded into the top edge of one of the soft under-panels, which fluttered at speed and hit a cross-member. A nasty grinding noise at top end speeds on track, changing to a bang-bang-bang and then fluttering when I lifted, made me think “boost problem”. Turned out to be two screws at the front of a long, narrow underbody panel had come out and the airflow under the car sucked the leading edge down until it was grinding on the asphalt, then as I slowed it bounced against the tub which echoed inside terribly.

What I am getting at is that you hear everything on this car. If it isn’t right, then take it to the dealer. But it probably isn’t a serious problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@4Canada I took the car two weeks ago for the service and had them check the scratching noises that come while accelerating, they said the diffuser was slightly loose and they tightened it.. Not sure how accurate that is because two days later I'm still getting the same noise (although less than before I took it to the dealer for service).

For the ticking noise and the gear change noises they said it's normal but me being my paranoid self I had to make a post to validate what they said.

Also for the engine mount, they changed mine under warranty during the last service. I'm not sure if it's the same one you're referring to.

I'm going to go back to the dealer in two weeks time as they also noticed that the flexi pipe needs to be changed (the exhaust makes a rattling noise when idle) so they ordered a new one from Italy. I'll have them double check these noises once again I guess.

Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same ticking in video 2 and found that the heat shield on the forward face of the starter had worn a hole around one of the bolts and was flopping around wildly. Problem is that the heat shield is clamped between the bolt and a hex nut, so there was very little surface area to secure everything.

I stacked 3 washers large enough to fit over the hex nut, and used the factory bolt and washer to clamp everything down. It's amazing how much a difference little things like this make. No more rattle driving me nuts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip @D_Engel!

I'm going to the alfa dealership on Sunday to get my exhaust flex pipe replaced because my exhaust is making a weird scratching noise at idle, thankfully they're gonna replace it under warranty so all good there.

I'm gonna ask them to double check these 3 noises, hopefully I won't have to leave the car with them again.

I'll let you guys know what they tell me.

·
Vendor
830 Posts
1. Gear change (I edited the video to show multiple downshifts, hopefully you can hear it):
I'd say it's normal clutch engagement. Probably you can only hear in in lower gears at low speeds. You don't get these noises when driving hard right?

2. Ticking noise:
Fuel injectors of DFI engine. Some are louder than others. In some cases AC can cause strange noises too in the cabin as the AC piping is touching the carbon tub and is vibrating.

3. Acceleration noise (happens between seconds 2-5 and 17-20):
I can't hear it obvious enough. I had similiar noises on accelerating when my rear MacPherson stud bolts that go through the knuckle got loosened. It was squeaking on acceleration when the rear struts were under stress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got the car back today from Alfa!

For the gear change noise it's like @GMS and the rest said, it's normal clutch engagement (it only happens during lower gears).

For the engine ticking noise it's same as what @D_Engel said, they told me somethings hitting the heat shield but it's normal and I shouldn't worry about it. In their defense it only happens sometimes during the first few minutes of driving then it goes away.

And for the weird sound when accelerating, it's related to the turbo like you all said. Turns out one of the turbo hoses was loose / damaged and they replaced it.

Thanks for the support in pinpointing the faults! Helped a lot when talking to the dealership here.

Luckily car is under warranty so they took care of everything. Now it's time to put some more happy miles on this car 😎.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts